Painting some stripes and blings DIY style

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
:wavey: Once upon a Saturday, I was kinda bored and was playing with my dog while also stared at my car. Got licked by my dog and then ideas pop in my mind...and my DIY mode is switched on. I was thinking of adding some red strips to my car, since its kinda dull originally. Not only that, I saw something special and would like to give it a try...

My DIY kungfu isnt that great, so please dont bomb me for hurting my car with such a bad workmanship :rolleyes:

So one day ~ its always one day...give a good bath to my car and dry it, thus its time to get dirty !
..........................................................................................................................

1. After bathing and let dry...original look of a Myvi Extreme.

2. This is the item for the special thing that I would like to try. BodyArt Paint !

3. And also not to forget, something to hold the paints and protect as well. A clear paint, easily available at the hardware shop near you. Nippon paint ~ nippon paint ~

4. Lets start taping...bit by bit...slowly...carefully...

5. Making a strip with corners...how hard could it be? Well, kinda difficult cost you have to make it smooth and round. Tap it bit by bit to make the curve. Using 1 piece of tape for the whole curve...kinda impossible to me. Tape every inch of places you dont wana paint, apparently...

6. Tape the other side as well and use some newspaper to cover the rest...

7. Done. Finally. (Took me 30 god damn minutes). So before spraying, I made sure the tapes are all tight.

8. Yeah, time to sprayyyyyy!!! Spray the body smoothly. Spray from left to right, and then from right to left. That's good enough for the first coat. Let it dry for 15 minutes and check the paint. If it smells good, you might have used your mom's hair spray. The paint should dry in about 15-20 minutes. But it is just touchable. It is not completely dry yet. It will need around 4-5 hours to dry (correct me if i'm wrong) to a solid state.

For subsequent coating, I spray in every 2 hours for 3 coats in total, then end with the clear paint.

9. Arghhh stupid cheap tape. Bought the wrong tape. It came off easily. But no worries, as I made a few layers of tape. There's an inner layer which marks the borderline.

10. Front part as well :smokin:

11. Ok. Time to try the bling bling. Put some on the body and spread it with brush...

12. Done. Then let it dry before the next step, which is spraying a clear coat to it to make it stick and covered in a clear coat. Must let it completely dry as the sparkling dust actually in slime..like mucous in our nose...erk...

13. After the 3rd pass, I can strip off the newspaper already and leave only the marking tapes.

14. It worked! Hiak hiak hiak ~

15. Closer look...Hmmm...the dust are not evenly spread. But still looks ok though, for me.

16. Alright, 3-4 hours had passed. And unfortunately I gotta remove the tape before letting it really really dry, I guess about 5-6 hours. It was raining that day and I estimated wrongly. But never mind, went ahead with it still.

Oh My Lady Gaga !! Out of my expectation, the paint went offset to the other side of the road. I believe this is why many people would be afraid to do DIY like this i.e. spraying the car.

17. Shit happens..so no worries as I'm prepared for it. Paint need around 2-3 months to cure and really stick on the surface. Thus it is still pretty much liquid and soft. Since it is soft, I treated it softly using only your friendly wax SOFT99.

18. Yeah...removed the naughty paint without much difficulties.

19. Ups..caused by the rubbish marking tape which doesnt stick much and my impatience of removing the tape earlier than I should. But again, treat it softly with a piece of cloth and wipe off everything I dont like to see.

20. Not a perfect straight line, sorry for the crappy workmanship :banghead:

21. The result. I'm quite satisfied with it...but not 100% as there's room for improvement. But this is where we gain experience, eh?

22. The front part.

23. Closer look at the bling and red stripe. Hmm the workmanship at the front is actually better.

24. Close up look at the front.

Thanks for viewing :wavey:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
You didnt sand the parts before painting? How has it held up till now?
Nope I dint sand it. I don't think it require sanding coz it's just a small part. It actually has been erm...since 21st of October..been through sun and rain for a week and it is still looking good without any sign of peeling. Lets see how it goes hehe..if peel then just sand and spray again haha...still got half of the paint lol. RM18 is cheap :rofl:

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

that's some awesome DIY dude!!
Thanks..it's nothing compared to your DIY :adore:

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Nice effort man! Maybe you should paint the grey-thingy at the grille to black, would look awesome too. I like your approach to DIY man, not too serious or pro-like, gives me the courage to try. If too serious, I would be too scared to try..haha

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
i might try the bling2 stuff..

coz my logo easily accumulate dust.. with the bling2, the dust is minimized :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well done for DIY. The masking tape, probably you did not press down hard enough, so line not that straight.
If you got any paint over spray on the car body, use a clay bar to get them off.....

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Nice effort man! Maybe you should paint the grey-thingy at the grille to black, would look awesome too. I like your approach to DIY man, not too serious or pro-like, gives me the courage to try. If too serious, I would be too scared to try..haha
Haha thanks bro..DIY are meant to be cost effective and innovative right?

i might try the bling2 stuff..

coz my logo easily accumulate dust.. with the bling2, the dust is minimized :biggrin:
Well if I r gonna try it, get the dust instead of what I use here. The type I used come in a liquid form..kinda like slime and it doesn't dry well. When rainy days some of the gold dust will come off. So use the dry dust instead and spray a layer of clear paint. ^^

Well done for DIY. The masking tape, probably you did not press down hard enough, so line not that straight.
If you got any paint over spray on the car body, use a clay bar to get them off.....
I already pressed like hell..but I really have no idea why it doesn't stick well. I guess the 3m marking tape would be good to use..it's smooth surface so paint doesn't stick much to it I assume.

Yeah bro clay bar works too but expensive haha..summore need lubricant. A droplet or two of soft99 really did the job well haha

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
As for the masking tape, I had experience with poor quality tape before as well from the same manufacturer. I suspect its either the glue is bad or they have stored the tape for too long & the adhesive has hardened.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
As for the masking tape, I had experience with poor quality tape before as well from the same manufacturer. I suspect its either the glue is bad or they have stored the tape for too long & the adhesive has hardened.
I bought the marking tape at Ace Hardware...and the brand is...the shop. The paint is also that brand name haha...but the paint is quite ok. I think the marking tape is only good enough for just marking, without any disturbance to it.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeah bro clay bar works too but expensive haha..summore need lubricant. A droplet or two of soft99 really did the job well haha
The patch of paint the soft 99 can remove easily. What I mean is you have covered most of the back area with newspaper, but with spray painting, sometimes the wind will carry some paint mist over to the roof area or places not covered. These area you won't see the paint but can feel the surface is rough, then you need clay bar to remove. For lube you can use water or car shampoo. You need clay bar let me know, I have. Clay bar reusable many times and I have quite a few as I am a DIY detailer too.....

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
The patch of paint the soft 99 can remove easily. What I mean is you have covered most of the back area with newspaper, but with spray painting, sometimes the wind will carry some paint mist over to the roof area or places not covered. These area you won't see the paint but can feel the surface is rough, then you need clay bar to remove. For lube you can use water or car shampoo. You need clay bar let me know, I have. Clay bar reusable many times and I have quite a few as I am a DIY detailer too.....
Thanks for the tips taikor :adore: Yea I can feel the dried up dust on my car body..I used a microfiber cloth and wiped it with very very very minimal pressure haha.

I have claybar too..im using Permaglass..is it ok? Other brands of claybar are expensive, especially those which comes together with detailer. So I used PG clay with car wash shampoo :rofl: so far so good I would say...

I have thought of touching up the uneven lines, with better marking tape. If I mark and spray 1 more layer..will it look uneven? :hmmmm:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thanks for the tips taikor :adore: Yea I can feel the dried up dust on my car body..I used a microfiber cloth and wiped it with very very very minimal pressure haha.

I have claybar too..im using Permaglass..is it ok? Other brands of claybar are expensive, especially those which comes together with detailer. So I used PG clay with car wash shampoo :rofl: so far so good I would say...

I have thought of touching up the uneven lines, with better marking tape. If I mark and spray 1 more layer..will it look uneven? :hmmmm:
I also use PG clay bar only. MG ones also have. Lube with car wash shampoo can already. QD too expensive...
If you do again, better you spray over the sprayed areas again to make it even, but maybe you need to sand a little for it to stick....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo one-make racing series racing cars are something to be feared on the track. Intending to pay homage to that, the Sant’Agata based supercar maker has teamed up with Swiss luxury watchmaker Blancpain for a limited edition road-legal Gallardo...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience