Opinions on car sharing services in Malaysia

pehecam747

Mar 17, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I am currently working in the automotive industry. I have come across this business called car sharing service and a company called Zipcar has been successful in the US. There has been a growth of car sharing services in the US, Europe, Japan, and Singapore.
The underlying concept behind car sharing service is the fact that there are people who want to drive their dream cars without actually owning them. When someone owns a car, he or she has to bear the costs of ownership in the form of road tax, insurance, maintenance, petrol, parking fees, resale value etc.
I believe that car sharing service business would also be successful in Malaysia based on the following reasons:-
(a) Executive cars are too expensive in Malaysia due to excise tax.
(b) Some car models have very bad resale value.
(c) A lot of people are eager to drive these executive cars.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Malaysia is a first world country with a third world mindset, it won't work. Hell, pedestrians can't even cross the road on zebra crossing. And mentally disabled people park in disabled parking. Over here, rules are meant to be broken.

john_unai

Known Member
Aug 9, 2011
mtkb
Malaysia is a first world country with a third world mindset, it won't work. Hell, pedestrians can't even cross the road on zebra crossing. And mentally disabled people park in disabled parking. Over here, rules are meant to be broken.
yup n with this kind of mindset, when ppl drive car without responsibilities of ownership they will just whack d car. even my friend do it to my car, since then i don't allow him to drive my car. :mad:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
They actually had a company doing this thing nearby SS2 area called "Big Boys Toys". They had supercars for rent and luxury cars and all. You had to join with a membership of RM4500 (promo price) and you were given a set number of points. Different cars have different point values and you can rent that car based on the number of points you had. Back then the Lotus Elise was something like 280 points per day so renting it for a weekend would cost you 560 points. That was a lot considering the RM4500 only gave you something like 2000 points or so. The Ferrari F430 was way higher, something like 450 points. The idea was quite novel but it targeted only the well-to-do and most rich people in PJ already owned a supercar so why rent when they can buy? Big Boys Toys was supposed to expand their cars to Yachts, Rolls Royces, light aircraft and all. But they went bust within 3 months or so I think.

What I didn't like was the tracking device in the car itself. It was this giant metallic box in front of the gearstick or somewhere plainly obvious, so even if you wanted to pose with "your car", people would immediately see it wasn't yours and a rental. Ie - Poseur. LOL. But the idea was quite good la.

If they had expanded to cheap cars as well I think they would've gotten more customers. Apparently the story was these cars belonged to the Tansri CEO who started the company and he just thought it'd be a good way to utilize his parked cars.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ya, I believe is a good idea and they are people out there who rent sports and luxury cars out there. Is actually just for the fun of
having get to drive one when you cant own one.

Like for a wedding anniversay, valentine's day or some special event would be a good idea. Wedding car? :smile:

pehecam747

Mar 17, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for all the feedbacks...I've been thinking and researching a lot about car sharing services lately...it would be impractical to start a car sharing business providing luxury cars or even executive cars priced at Rm100k and above...

So, I am in the process of setting up a car sharing business for Klang Valley area (I plan to start with proton and perodua cars). The main difference of car sharing and car rental is that car sharing offers membership plan which would require members to pay like RM50/month for 50 hours quota in a month and the member will have to pay only RM5/hour to use any of the cars available plus a petrol card limited to RM 100/month will be at the member's disposal.

If we consider the costing, car sharing will only cost the members half of what it would cost them if they use car rental. There will also be the "Pay As You Go" plan.

It would a bit tough running this business since profit won't be maximized-"cukup-cukup makan saje" but who cares as long as we can serve the community...will focus on the volume to maximize the profits in the long run...

I might need a lot of people to help me do the marketing after this business is set up...plan to start by the end of May this year...until then, stay well people!

P.S: If there is anyone out there who wants to join the boat and know the details about this business, can e-mail me at [email protected]

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Well good luck, I have a feeling it will be very popular with aspiring car thieves.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Well good luck, I have a feeling it will be very popular with aspiring car thieves.
Something that really have to be taken into consideration. Is hard to deter thieves unless petty ones who don't really know how to disarm those high end immobilizers in the car.

Some security set up had to be done on those rented cars. Taking down their IC alone won't help. It could be fake ICs and Driving licenses.

pehecam747

Mar 17, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
yeah...thanks for the feedbacks...I definitely take security into upmost consideration...will use a card-based security system and RFID tracker (to track the whereabout of the car if got stolen) apart from putting the cars in secured/ guarded spots and subscribing for theft protection insurance...as for the customers, they need to provide supporting documents like student ID, job pass, proof of residence, fingerprint etc...

The company's set up...www.nextgen-car.com...would like to conduct an online demand survey here but I don't really think people in here want to go for car sharing...they would rather buy cars and make the traffic more congested and contribute to more pollution to the environment...sorry for being sarcastic but that's the truth (I'm not referring to all members though, some members, I think are more reasonable and open-minded)...

cheers

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

So yeah, the company's set up - Car Sharing Malaysia

https://www.facebook.com/CarSharingMalaysia?ref=hl

I would really appreciate it if some members here would be willing to help in some ways...we need those who are experts in creating online booking system as well online payment (e-commerce)...need some feedbacks on card-based car security system as well...also, anyone's up for the marketing campaign?

p.s. those who would like to sponsor cars are also welcomed :)

thank you very much.

cheers

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there,

I am planning for the following Yokohama tyres for my 2 cars, one using 195.55.15 and another is 180.60.14

After some research online and offline, found that Advan Neova AD07 only have size for my 195.55.15 while AVS ES100 have sizes of both.

Also known that the UTQG for AD07 is 180 AA A and ES100 is 280 AA A. If I am going to take AD07 for the 15" and ES 100 for the 14", would this be my good choices?

Need your experiences on both tyres model in terms of dry, wet, treadwear...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience