open port or carbon air filter

funkydog

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
hi, went to the car accessories shop..... the guys said carbon air intake system better than open port wor........... true anot ? (newbie here la.... )

he say open port n carbon wil give off sound leh ..... any 1 here mod their air firlter before ? do give some comments.....

wat i wanna know is , is the sound loud or okok only ...... ( i dun wan loud loud ar....later mother scold)
hahahaha

funkydog

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
wow..... fluffy .... seems like u r super active on this board...... haha.... every Q i ask...... only u reply ...... and u're knowledgeable........

RESPECT !!!!!!!!!!!

but which 1 more powerful ? open port or carbon ?

the guy also say , if dun open port ......juz changet the air filter only ..... (meaning putting it back to the original position ) like this also got effect anot ? (changing to k&n filter)

thanks in advance

alexklg

4,000 RPM
Feb 13, 2006
www.zerotohundred.com
funky, you should join our TT in JB. Then you can ask the questions to our sifu there.

Anywayz, which brands of carbon air filter did the guy intro to you? what engine you using and your budget... basically, a drop-in air filter can give you some performance upgrade.. if you have more budget, can consider open-pod and you need to make sure the open pod get enough cold air, if not, it will not work to its full potential. For Carbon air filter, i dun have much knowledge on it.

If you change to open pod or even drop in, the sound from your engine will be slightly louder... but i dun think your mum will notice it. :)

ethanphoon592

Known Member
May 11, 2005
Petaling Jaya
Ha ha Mr.Keon, nice to see you here as well, anyways the carbon filter would be better as comparison to any open pods simply because its an enclosed shell, means, you have air pressure store inside the element as compared to open pod, where the engine is constantly trying to get that same pressure by high revving it most of the time. There are a couple of carbon airboxes in the market now, of course the originals and pricey ones would be Pipercross venoms and BMC box, but imitation ones like Racecraft n Simota also came out with similar designs on the outside but the inside of the BMC and Venom is very different., Theres already one in the market, no brand, on the outside it looks like racecraft but on the inside, it carries special functions..there's a vortex swirl at the end of the body to ram air in, the in the middle there's a blitz like filter element. Surrounding it is blue colour filter elementz..don't know whether zenden came out with this design or not.

ynot

Feb 12, 2006
to my knowledge, if you're driving a manual tranny, get an open pod and make sure your cold air intake works, auto, just go get a drop in for better air flow. here's some info i gathered online

Think of your engine as a breathing machine. It needs to breathe in fuel and air, and it needs to breath out exhaust gasses. Anything that gets in the way of that process is going to impede its ability to breathe. In reality of course, there are plenty of things in the way from air filters and flow sensors in the intake system, to catalysers and bizarre kinks and curves in the exhaust system. By eliminating or reducing these constrictions, you can allow your engine to breathe more easily. Sort of like Nyquil or NightNurse for an engine. By far the easiest and cheapest thing to start with is the air filter. From the factory, air filters are designed to be a compromise of filtering the guck out whilst letting the air through. Aftermarket manufacturers such as K&N and Jamex have been making high-flow air filters for years.

The design of the filters is slightly different and they allow more air to pass through the filter whilst still stopping the majority of harmful particles. Again, like all these things, the claims of increased power can be hugely exaggerated. In truth, simply changing the air filter will probably add another 2 or 3hp to your engine. More air going in more easily means the engine management system will adjust the fuelling accordingly and you'll get a better fuel-air charge in the cylinder, resulting in a slight increase in power.
Moving on a step from simply changing the filter, you can then start looking at intake upgrade kits, also known as cold air intake or induction kits. The basic idea with these is to make the passage from the filter to the engine less convoluted. When air is forced to go around corners, it causes turbulence which slows down the flow. By trying to make the intake pipes smoother and straighter, the idea is to give the air more chance to get to the engine and less chance of being screwed up in corners with turbulence.

Cold-air kits normally remove the factory airbox from the car and poke the air intake into one of the front wings or right up front. The air in your engine bay is hot - really hot - and hot air is not conducive to good combustion. By routing the intake to somewhere where it isn't going to be sucking hot air from under the hood, you get cooler air going into your engine. Because cooler air is denser, you can get a better fuel-air charge into the cylinder than you can by simply changing the stock air filter. Cold-air intake kits can add another 3 or 4hp of raw power to the engine but more often than not, you'll notice an increase in torque lower down the rev range too.

Last edited:

funkydog

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
alexklg said:
funky, you should join our TT in JB. Then you can ask the questions to our sifu there.
of coz wanna join u guys for TT ........ haha but timing not right leh ... my gf working and living in sg .... i also in Sg most of the time........ lol

any way .. i haven get my car yet also la....

now driving toyota camry only ........ new car coming nxt jan or feb ( hopefully) ..... by then confirm will dig time for TT .... no worries..

cheers

ethanphoon592

Known Member
May 11, 2005
Petaling Jaya
Ynot,

Hmm, yes that the best theory but most of the time, many people have resulted in poorer high end power after they've switch to open pod, even when they done excellent cold air intake setups..even some with factory box with cold air intake channeling results in better overall power..funny eh?

funkydog

Known Member
Sep 28, 2006
hey ... since theres ppl replying in this thread.... why not help me out with a few more Q .... newbie here la.... give some chance....

is HKS f con v pro a ECU ? if yes.. can it fit a i-vtec engine ? or any other ECU to recommend for I-vtec ? ......

if put the HKS fcon v pro ... can put apexi or blitz timer anot , like power meter ID and afc neo ?

thanks alot la.... owe u all 1

ynot

Feb 12, 2006
ethanphoon592,

hehehe.. i simply rip the theory off online somewhere, my ride itself suffer from no Top End and not even pickup when i switch to Open Pod with proper CAI, now it's back to factory setting and i find it so much more better..

funkydog,
if I"m not wrong, HKS F-Con V Pro is not an ECU. the rest of the information should be in your PM inBox for now..

sharing is caring.. and all drivers.. , whenever we find something useful for our ride.. please share... only by sharing we can grow...

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
hmm....i guess there r more than 3 threads asking bout airfilter question....maybe can try to search bc previous threads for reference....so dun need owes start a new thread...

Open port filter and Carbon Air Intake filter is the same...both r open port..unles u r mean carbon air ram...then it is another story....

open port wil not gv u loud sound if u didnt revv, so ur mother wont know wat u did to the engine as long as u didnt revv kawkaw when u reach ur home....

and if ur ride is not modded kawkaw, no point to change ecu..

yes, u can put timer o watever add-on gadget....no problem

just my2cent

.:JiT_187:.

1,500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
KL
huakenny,
i've saw 1 pics post from u..is about the kenari with drop in air filter & CAI
izzit can done at mivec?
if drop in air filter pipercross better or k&n
tqtq..

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
.:JiT_187:. said:
huakenny,
i've saw 1 pics post from u..is about the kenari with drop in air filter & CAI
izzit can done at mivec?
if drop in air filter pipercross better or k&n
tqtq..
pipercross n knn both r highflow air filter, its up to u which is better...

some said knn is more solid if ur car is owes high revv, while pipercross will run out of it shape if the suction is too strong...

my2cent only le...

.:JiT_187:.

1,500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
KL
huakenny,
how bout the install CAI at standard air box..can it be done at mivec?
like u done ur kenari..tq

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,
Any idea for installing S90 TB (throittle body) to waja?
How bout the 3 vacuum hose?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience