Old JDM sportcars is a better investment than unit trusts

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yeah well -

America ruined the Supra, RX7, NSX and Skyline for us.
Australia is currently ruining the FD2R and everything Mugen for us.
Malaysia is ruining every other JDM for Malaysians.

Who wrecked the Evo prices again?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah well -

America ruined the Supra, RX7, NSX and Skyline for us.
Australia is currently ruining the FD2R and everything Mugen for us.
Malaysia is ruining every other JDM for Malaysians.

Who wrecked the Evo prices again?
Australia also I think cuz I heard Evo prices there are also around aud40-70k.

Soooo, which JDM now is still a good buy??

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Not so simple. There are a lot of risks involved.
If you managed to find some good deals then it's easy, just that you need quite a lot of cash. It's basically speculation. Problem is got so many speculators and you often got beaten to the punch if you don't have good enough connections cuz when such good deals come up, they will be scooped up fast.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
If you managed to find some good deals then it's easy, just that you need quite a lot of cash. It's basically speculation. Problem is got so many speculators and you often got beaten to the punch if you don't have good enough connections cuz when such good deals come up, they will be scooped up fast.
I was meaning other factors involved. Insurance coverage will not be as high as the actual value, in Malaysia . If theft, fire or accident damage occurs , its money up in flames. Couple that with the way news travels on social media, accidents or damages incured will be well known by all in the community . If you are looking to enjoy thats fine. If just for speculation its a risk.

Reactions: Izso and lsm1991

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
i think scoob has yet to go up price for now. especially the BRZ. time to get one?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I was meaning other factors involved. Insurance coverage will not be as high as the actual value, in Malaysia . If theft, fire or accident damage occurs , its money up in flames. Couple that with the way news travels on social media, accidents or damages incured will be well known by all in the community . If you are looking to enjoy thats fine. If just for speculation its a risk.
If can find a good deal through worth the risk, cuz you can quickly flip it.

i think scoob has yet to go up price for now. especially the BRZ. time to get one?
WRX guys are trying to bump up a bit but not as successful. BRZ is too new to have such appreciation and it's till easy to find.

nw111

Known Member
Feb 13, 2018
Terra dei Motori
Australia also I think cuz I heard Evo prices there are also around aud40-70k.

Soooo, which JDM now is still a good buy??
MR2/MR-S prices are still relatively low. But original AW11/SW20 are probably next to be bumped up (especially the supercharged/turbo models). ZZW30 always cheap :grimacing:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Subaru owners have been trying to bump up their cars on FB and Mudah and all but I don't think anyone has been hooked yet like how Evos have done. I think the only Subarus that are overpriced and command a price is the 2 door GC8 and the super rare 22B. You wanna buy a BRZ/GT86 make sure you like small CC NA boxer cars. Handling is superb though so yeah.

MR2/MR-S prices are still relatively low. But original AW11/SW20 are probably next to be bumped up (especially the supercharged/turbo models). ZZW30 always cheap :grimacing:
"low" is subjective bro. MR2 and MRS have already reached their age limit, it won't go higher or lower in price anymore and there's hardly any aftermarket support for them now. A friend bought a MRS for 60k+ recently and considering the age of the car - it's probably the peak for its price now unless some 1st world country goes nuts and starts to rush buy them.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
scooby... i guess theres just too many around on sale, and i have quite a number of friends who went from wira/perdana lutions to subarus who tell me, if u can, just get the mitsu. when the owners themselves tell u things like that then GG.... (do note if u dont mind keeping them stock, then ok, not huge problem car, just little things that can cost quite abit)

mrs i think can climb lagi, its a nice car... btw 60k is on the cheaper side liao, specially for a manual

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The other things with WRX is it's still produced quite similar eventhough they don't use the Impreza name anymore.

If you like Honda, then FD2R seems still a reasonable buy, still can be had for around 110k+ for relatively stock units eventhough many are already trying to bump up to 130-160. The really crazy ones are those EK and EG hatch.

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Lately I think all the more iconic cars are priced higher compared to 2 years ago. 350z even.

Here’s one hidden gem. Caldina GT4. Prices still realistic.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Lately I think all the more iconic cars are priced higher compared to 2 years ago. 350z even.

Here’s one hidden gem. Caldina GT4. Prices still realistic.
Quite surprised that 350z also now creeping up a bit.

Subjective look aside, rather than Caldina, better buy Airtrek turbo cuz at least 5 speed and easier to upgrade using Evo parts.

Another one still not so high price is maybe Altezza.

I personally would love to get the last Galant VR4 but nobody is selling.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Quite surprised that 350z also now creeping up a bit.

Subjective look aside, rather than Caldina, better buy Airtrek turbo cuz at least 5 speed and easier to upgrade using Evo parts.

Another one still not so high price is maybe Altezza.

I personally would love to get the last Galant VR4 but nobody is selling.
Isn’t Airtrek always more expensive than the Caldina? Altezza also holding value well, seems to have creep up a bit.

Caldina has a solid engine, at the least. Love the Recaro. And I’m still confused by it. Is it a MPV or Wagon? 5 seater, so I guess it’s an estate?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys...anyone of you know where I can get some bumper diffusers made.
Promote has them for their Putra / Wira. What about universal ones or custom ones.

I know Dai Ichi and Grandpire may have ...but anywehere else?

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience