Newbie on rotary - help needed

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Hi sifus,

I have a random orbit buffer from black and decker and i wan to try and polish my car with it. My car is silver in colour and the paint on the boot is terrible so I don't think ill make much of a diff if i screw up with the rotary there.

I'm using Otter Polishine and Otter Premium Wax.

Just clayed and polished my car by hand yesterday but still a lot of swirls, hence the need for the rotary.

Any tips for proper rotary usage? Pads?

Thanks!

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Thank for the tip but im not looking to detail my ride as good as u do...i just wan advice on how to do it on a low budget with moderate results...i can't afford the high end stuff u use haha

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
Thank for the tip but im not looking to detail my ride as good as u do...i just wan advice on how to do it on a low budget with moderate results...i can't afford the high end stuff u use haha
bro
what high end low end...the very fact u can own a ride ...u have responsibility to care for her...as long as she has paint on her u need to detail her....as the matter of fact...as long as you will be driving...for the rest of yr life...u need to care for your car...buying something that last is more beneficial....
eg....i brought a few fans, drills & electrical appliances...M.I.C (aka make in china) you know what happen just at the dot of warranty expiry...they Kong out

A B&D will cost u about 200 - but a rotary only 800

B&D can only oscillate....most of the time you will feel it vibrates more than rotate ....& the biggest problem...cannot change the polishing pad....... how can u even polish correctly yr car with bonnet(the sponge skin comes with the machines) too thin & backing too hard & not forgiving...might end up giving u more swirls
unless u convert it like mine...sticking velco

i refer to your post
just clayed and polished my car by hand yesterday but still a lot of swirls

most of the times we are looking at the $ sense but cant justify the logic (the end results)

how much does detailing shops charge u for swirls correction? 300-400 X 2 times = almost the same of rotary....

just passed this route earlier than u , speaking from my heart & experience......for there is safety in counsel of many:burnout:

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
I do take care of my car, make no mistake.

But I don't justify spending tons of money on polishing and waxing materials because:

1. I am not a professional like you
2. I don't enter my car into car shows
3. I just need my car to look decent, not sparkling like those ferraris and lambos

I don't care if there are very minor swirls on my paint. It's pretty bad paint and I just want to maintain it and make it look good without spending much. I am going to respray the car in 3 years time.

If you want super duper high end result, be prepared to spend tons of money, this I understand. One cent money, one cent goods.

But now, I just want some advice on how I can use my black and decker and within my budget of maybe RM100 (since I have the polish and waxes already) and get the best result. Best results means the best that RM100 can buy.

Not everyone will spend RM800 on a rotary polisher. Some of us gotta work within our budget.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Been in your shoes before and I understand the dilemma.

RM100 is not much, but it should be enough to get a decent look. Here's my suggestion:

Firstly, forget about your B&D. What it's good at is only for APPLYING products and you'd need to change the 'bonnet' often, or else it would cause more damage than good.

So, I'd suggest you go back to the olde 'elbow grease' if you want to do any decent polishing. Otter Polishine is quit a decent paint cleaner or very mild polish so get yourself a few of those good quality round foam pads (e.g. from Meg's, Osren aka Lake Country pads, etc.) and a few microfiber cloths and polish away with the Otter polish. One thing that you'd need most using this method is PATIENCE. Do it one small section at a time and finish off one panel at a time. This way, if you get too tired (or bored) you can always stop, wax that panel with your Otter Premium Wax and continue with the other panels at another time.

And another product that you should think of getting is a compound to remove those deeper defects (e.g. scratches, deep marring, deeper swirl marks, etc.). My suggestion would be Meguiars Ultimate Compound. It is a little expensive but would still be within your budget.

If you're going the rotary route. Basically you'd need a rotary (of course), a backing plate (the thing that you 'screw' to the machine and to stick the pads on) and AT A VERY LEAST 2 polishing pads. I used to own a china made Ken rotary and got it for RM170 and it was able to give me quite a decent finish. But the poison got deeper and I was getting a bit impatient (also had some extra bonus) so I went for the Makita for the higher amp and torque. I would think that those China made rotary would be good enough if you're not planning to use it often, but, like what kc said, you'd have to bet your luck with it's reliability.

Now for the polishing pad, this would be something that you don't want to cut any corner. Polishing pad would be like the tires to your car, and you'd definitely need to think about getting a good quality ones, and I'm talking about spending around rm60 per pad. And you'd also need to reserve some money to spend on polishes as most polishes that's selling at the supermarket are not that suitable to be used with a rotary.

All in all, if you want to go the rotary route, you'd need an initial budget of around RM400 ~ RM500.

I think you get the rough idea now, and I also think that you have quite a few more question to ask:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:....so ask away and we'll try to guide you as best as we can.

Regards.

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Hi KrisMas,

Thanks for the advice. So I should just stick to hand polishing for now till I get a better rotary right?

The Meg's pads you were talking about, are those the same as their foam applicators? And also do I need to apply pressure when I'm polishing?

Thanks

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
The B&D is a good machine, but unfortunately, it comes with it's own proprietary polishing bonnet and there's not much you can do unless you modified it so that it could be used with some better quality polishing pads. Although it would be more tiring, for polishing and removing defects works, you'd get better (and safer) result by hand as compared to the B&D. You'd need to exert some pressure while polishing. The amount of pressure would depend on how much defect you want to remove. The more pressure the more you would be able to 'cut' the paint. Best way is to put some pressure on the first few passes, then release the pressure (lighter polishing) to 'refine' it. That is for removing defects, like using it with the Meg's Ultimate Compound.

For usage with your Otter polish, it's a mild paint cleaner (I'm not too sure whether it contain any abrasives or not as I only had a little sample to play with last time). So there's no point of 'forcing' it. Just use a little pressure to 'deep clean' the paintwork.

Yes, the Meg's applicator pads are those yellow, round, spongy, foam applicator pads.

Again, about the rotary, if you can't justify investing on the more expensive ones, the china one would do since you'd only be using it on your own ride and you're not using it very often. Even my Makita, I've only really used it twice this year, but of course, the built quality is far better than the china made.

I have a few more options that I would suggest to you, I'll try to post it later tonight......

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
Thanks for the good suggestions, I'll get a pack of those sponges and work by hands.

Yeah I can't justify spending so much for car paint care especially when I'm not really planning to achieve 100% no swirl paint. Just want to maintain the shine and maybe outshine the other cars a bit haha!

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
no worries Mr Imolog

I am a little confused over yr title says
Newbie on rotary - help needed
B&D is an orbital

but
nevertheless yr effort will outshine others.....you cares .......as many still neglect theirs

Last edited:

hazardouzz

Known Member
Nov 13, 2007
found this topics very interesting. Last week bought Optimum No Rinse, Optimum Opti-Seal (OOS), Optimum Power Clean (OPC), Optimum Instant Detailer (OID) from jack last week. Quite impress with the result but realize that my eyes become fussy. Actually just painted my car about a month ago but there's swirl mark cause by after paint polish. Jack told me that the swirl mark not so strong. How much do I need to spend if I wanna detail my car. Can anyone teach me how to do it correctly. Coz I don't wanna spend 1+++ and end up don't know how to do it. can anybody help me?

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
found this topics very interesting. Last week bought Optimum No Rinse, Optimum Opti-Seal (OOS), Optimum Power Clean (OPC), Optimum Instant Detailer (OID) from jack last week. Quite impress with the result but realize that my eyes become fussy. Actually just painted my car about a month ago but there's swirl mark cause by after paint polish. Jack told me that the swirl mark not so strong. How much do I need to spend if I wanna detail my car. Can anyone teach me how to do it correctly. Coz I don't wanna spend 1+++ and end up don't know how to do it. can anybody help me?
congrats hazadouzz
you have got all you need for detailing a car, correction only can be done by machinery & right product combination . only with a proper training & guidance....

we all started like you.....lets view again what your ride need. PM me

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

anyone know how to install this turbo timer?

got wiring diagram as well? i send to aksesori shop..they juz conect d turbo timer function...others function cannot works la...help
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience