NEW car paint, how to take care?

Dremel

1,000 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Ampng Nrdschlff
Visit site
some advice from a guy who own a car spray shop

1) - Use hair shampoo to wash your car (anyone can clarify this?)like pantene.. rejoice..
because your car need to be cleaned from dust and light stain only.
In short... not require special treatment lor. cleaning only

2) - After repaint.. come back to the shop to get your car polished/robyn at least after
2 - 3 weeks because the 1st layer of the paint might get 'shocked' to
the direct sunlight.

sounds funny though.. but izzit true?

popiah

Known Member
Mar 20, 2004
hi nicky. r u referring to soft99 rain hop and executive? :P

dremel, i have never heard of people using hair shampoo for the car. maybe if car got dandruff then need anti-dandruff. :D haha. maybe some people do, but i have not personally seen it yet. pantene pro-v shampoo followed by conditioner n rinse. :P

Using dishwashing liquid to wash a car, I have heard of before. Supposed to remove all the old wax the car had on to prepare it for a new coat of polish and wax. i personally wouldn't try that though. coz i am afraid that i might miss rinsing some parts thoroughly, hence soapy dish water will collect at these areas. but this method is used by some of the car care fanatics here and also overseas. if you go through forums like detailcity and meguiars you will find that some of the forum members actually wash their car with dishwashing liquid before a massive detail.

i believe, a good car shampoo will be more than sufficient. meg's NXT car shampoo is only about 35 for a big bottle. autoglym body shampoo is also nice. i have also tried kit wash and wax before. and it actually works. however, since i moved to autoglym, i decided to use a shampoo that is by the same manufacturer as my polish to ensure that the polish and shampoo's potential are mwaximized. Same with meguiars now. Hehe.

techmax

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
hi all,
i got new car not long ago, about 2 months, wanna ask somehting ..

1) for new car, we are advice not to polish rite?

2) how about Wax ? i was told not to wax too.. will wax thinner the paint ?

3) what wax is good ?

thanks

bryan90s

500 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Visit site
i try use my limited knowledge to share

1) NO polish at first 2 months. although new car sometimes parked months b4 deliver to customer. 2 months is just to be safe

2) Wax actually can.but not advisable..as now some wax product contain cleaning agent, which will act abit like polish. BUT..new car no need wax la...still shinny mah

3)good wax? in terms of wat? easy to apply? meguiars lor....but expensive... actually alot of product in the market..

juz my rm0.02

popiah

Known Member
Mar 20, 2004
ok in the general market, a polish and a wax are similar items, they clean and protect.

however, on another level, a pure polish is just a blend of oil and other chemicals which enriches the colour of your car. it does not clean the paint at all.

the same goes for a pure wax, it would not clean the car paint also. it is like adding a layer of clear protection onto your car to protect it. If you get acid rain, bird shit, the wax would be the layer to kena and nto your paint, hence protecting your paint. a good wax will make your car look shinier and deeper.

so if your car is new, even 2 months old, i am sure the surface is not as smooth as a car in show room condition liao. rite? this would mean that dirt has landed on your paint and got trapped there. if you wax your car now, it would seal the dirt underneath the wax. and will continue to be there unless it is removed.

The safest way to do that would be to use a clay bar to remove that.

if your car is dirty as in has some small scratches or birdshit marks etc, you would have to use a paint cleaner to remove it. after that, you can polish and then wax.

the best time to protect your car is when you get it. a lot of work done the first time woudl save you a lot of work in the future when you polish and wax again.

a car new from factory would most certainly have paint that is cured. it is only when you get your car repainted that you have to be careful. we dunno how much mixture of paint and other things the painter use (which can affect drying time). And it can be that the painter finished painting that afternoon and you collect it a couple of hours later.

I guess the only reason why painters always give excuses of having to wait two weeks or two months after you collect your car is they themselves do not follow mixing instructions or even bother to read the instructions. hence they cannot say for sure when will the paint be fully cured. Most modern paints dry pretty fast anyway. Do you think the painters will dare to compound the car if the paint is still soft?

tarrant8877

500 RPM
Sep 12, 2004
KL / IPOH
Visit site
Originally posted by popiah@Oct 1 2004, 13:54
ok in the general market, a polish and a wax are similar items, they clean and protect.

however, on another level, a pure polish is just a blend of oil and other chemicals which enriches the colour of your car. it does not clean the paint at all.

the same goes for a pure wax, it would not clean the car paint also. it is like adding a layer of clear protection onto your car to protect it. If you get acid rain, bird shit, the wax would be the layer to kena and nto your paint, hence protecting your paint. a good wax will make your car look shinier and deeper.

so if your car is new, even 2 months old, i am sure the surface is not as smooth as a car in show room condition liao. rite? this would mean that dirt has landed on your paint and got trapped there. if you wax your car now, it would seal the dirt underneath the wax. and will continue to be there unless it is removed.

The safest way to do that would be to use a clay bar to remove that.

if your car is dirty as in has some small scratches or birdshit marks etc, you would have to use a paint cleaner to remove it. after that, you can polish and then wax.

the best time to protect your car is when you get it. a lot of work done the first time woudl save you a lot of work in the future when you polish and wax again.

a car new from factory would most certainly have paint that is cured. it is only when you get your car repainted that you have to be careful. we dunno how much mixture of paint and other things the painter use (which can affect drying time). And it can be that the painter finished painting that afternoon and you collect it a couple of hours later.

I guess the only reason why painters always give excuses of having to wait two weeks or two months after you collect your car is they themselves do not follow mixing instructions or even bother to read the instructions. hence they cannot say for sure when will the paint be fully cured. Most modern paints dry pretty fast anyway. Do you think the painters will dare to compound the car if the paint is still soft?
DAMN AGREED !!!!

Thats y we must use a branded pure polish to polish car.
Pure polish wouldnt cut off the paint..

popiah

Known Member
Mar 20, 2004
an affordable choice would be mg dcs step 2 pure polish and step 3 pure wax. about 29 to 31 each. of coz, wouldn't hurt if u go 3 step all the way.... :D step1 paint cleaner, step 2 and step 3. but be prepared for a painful arm at the end of the day. :P

NiCkY7

500 RPM
Dec 27, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by popiah@Oct 2 2004, 09:20
an affordable choice would be mg dcs step 2 pure polish and step 3 pure wax. about 29 to 31 each. of coz, wouldn't hurt if u go 3 step all the way.... :D step1 paint cleaner, step 2 and step 3. but be prepared for a painful arm at the end of the day. :P
so popiah,

like my post at autoworld there,

so i use the MG NXT Tech Wax is enough? :rolleyes:

the polish i use back my Amway Silicone Glaze polish... :P

boleh? :lol:

popiah

Known Member
Mar 20, 2004
y not. always try to see what gives you the best results. you can try part of a bonnet with silicon glaze only, part of a bonnet with silicon glaze and nxt wax and part bonnet with plain wax.

see which is better. try viewing the sun under the sun and see which results give you the best finish.

you have got the nxt wax? good choice, its really easy on and off. minimal effort needed to remove it.

one very important thing, use a good cloth. you wouldn't want the cloth to cause scartches after spending so much hard work on your car.

good luck. and if possible tell us how it went. and pics would be appreciated. :P

popiah

Known Member
Mar 20, 2004
pls apply all polish and wax on a cool car surface under shade, not under the hot sun. let nxt sit for about 15 to 30 minutes for it to dry, then buff off. if you really semangat, you can add another layer of nxt immediately or wait till the following day and then add another layer of nxt. The polymers needs a few hours to bond on the car surface. so it is important to keep the car surface away from birdshit and rain for at least 1 to 2 hours. In my case, I usually do 1 layer of NXT and follow with another layer 3 hours later. Apply thinly coz it is expensive <_< (a bottle of nxt is only about 15USD, those gwai loh damn lucky) and also a thick later will be difficult to remove as it will take longer and more effort.

I had a bad experience once.It rained when I just finish applying the NXT and it has not dried yet. Half the car got wet. Later when I buffed off the wax, could see some spots on the finish. Require more effort on those areas to rub off the spots.

If the car finish is shiny enough, you will notice when you park it under a light, a lot of insects will land on your car since it is shiny and insects are attracted to shiny things like lights etc. :D

And good thing about a slick finish is when it rains and your car gets wet, all you hav to do is go for a drive, enjoy your music and let the water flow off the car. :lol:

NiCkY7

500 RPM
Dec 27, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by popiah@Oct 2 2004, 10:49
y not. always try to see what gives you the best results. you can try part of a bonnet with silicon glaze only, part of a bonnet with silicon glaze and nxt wax and part bonnet with plain wax.

see which is better. try viewing the sun under the sun and see which results give you the best finish.

you have got the nxt wax? good choice, its really easy on and off. minimal effort needed to remove it.

one very important thing, use a good cloth. you wouldn't want the cloth to cause scartches after spending so much hard work on your car.

good luck. and if possible tell us how it went. and pics would be appreciated. :P
hihihi, not yet buy the MG NXT Tech Wax... :P , currently PK kao kao, yesterday receive a call by the painter, they ask me to go and look at the bumber bracket, sighz, have to buy new 1(RM65), somemore those bumber clips. the clips can only buy from Honda only, somemore RM5.50/pc and need 11pc. WTF... then i teach them to use screw to replace the clips, the screws all only RM1.50... cheap siao~~~ :D

hmmh, no $$$ to but other wax, MG is the BEST liow... :P
but i got the Cosway wash and wax car shampoo... :lol:

i think i just wax my car after received my car. do a thin layer 1... later when CNY near liow then baru polish and wax 2 layer... hihihihi...

the perma glass cloth ok? or those cheap polish cloth ok?

:D

popiah

Known Member
Mar 20, 2004
sorry to hear about your bumper. the pins cannot be reused after sprayinf your car? y have to get new ones?

a good 100% cotton cloth will do. i personally find the permaglass cloth a bit too thin. it gets clogged with polish material quite fast. So if you want to use permaglass cloth, make sure it is safe fo ryour car and get at least 4 pcs.

you can search for a thread on the cd test which you can read up. it will help you decide if your cloth is really safe. the link is here .

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

This year the Essen Motor Show is experiencing a very special premiere: the debut of the Golf Variant RaVe 270. It is still a concept car. And yet, it becomes impressively clear just how much potential this car holds. RaVe 270 – it stands for the 270 PS developed by a four-cylinder TSI with direct gasoline injection and turbocharging.

RaVe 270 – it stands for a fully customized design in car racing style. RaVe 270 – it stands for a customized interior with exclusive leather bucket seats...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience