Need guidance about SPRING

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
sorry guys and dudes here, i know this topic has been discussed a million of times but i have something to know.

i went to the shop and ask the boss there said:

LOWERING SPRING and SPORT SPRING is different
Lowering Spring the coils it lesser than stock (like potong spring product)
Sport Spring the coils is like stock or more than lowering spring 1 but it gives lowering effect also.

So is it correct?

and which spring is reasonable to buy in Market for LMST?

I asked the shop, he recommend me T-Speed RM260.

Any suggestion pls guide me thanks a lot!

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
i've never heard of such a thing before.

spings may differ from amount of coils which equals diff spring rate.take also in account spring diametre,the coil's "thinkness" and etc etc.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
lowered springs = usually people will refer to sports spring
sports spring = usually lower and stiffer
hard spring = heavy duty spring (usually remain oem height)

potong spring = avoid at all cost

u looking for progressive springs or linear springs??...
try GAB, they are progressive springs... abit of comfort....overall, received good feedback
or kimex springs (linear spring)... kinda stiff, comfort/performance depends on what absorber u pair with....

alwiz remember, suspension only works if u have good combination between shocks and springs... if u wanna cut springs, make sure u reinject ur shocks...
sometimes, cheap springs also can be satisfying if u can pair with compatible shocks (which is not necessary to be expensive)...

after all, everything depends on ur own feel.... sometimes i find it hard, u find it comfortable... vr subjective matter.....

if u buying coilovers, there's another option for u... u can choose spring rate... aftermarket springs (sparco, kimex, apm, eibach) has different spring rate which isnt reveal to customer.... they only say it suits which car.... this is pretty frustrating coz u need to do trial n error to suit ur taste....

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
hmm......my priorities are"
1st --> Price Cheap
2nd --> Lowering until 1-2 fingers
3rd --> Comfort and not spoiling stock absorber

so what's the recommend brand? APM?

craziqbal

Known Member
Mar 23, 2006
will it affect the absorbers? my friend changed to sport springs, but now his absorber dah rosak...

Last edited:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
depends how u drive lar... if u whack ur car at every potholes, sure KO early.... after change sport springs, alwiz remember to avoid any potholes la... coz u not using standard suspension adi... it wont absorb the shock as much as oem suspension....

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
from http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/lowering-springs.html (with pictures on the website):
Suspension Springs in General

Suspension springs are one of the most common car tuning purchases. Technically speaking, suspension springs are components that support the car by means of weight, including passengers and all other load. Suspension springs also help eliminate (or minimize) brake dive, body roll, rear squatting on acceleration and keep a smooth, comfortable ride.

Marketing Categories: Lowering Springs vs. Performance Springs

The main difference between Lowering Springs and Performance Springs is best summed up by a simple definition of each. For the most part, performance springs are designed to help your car realize its optimum handling capabilities. Lowering springs are made to offer a more drastic reduction in ride height. To decide which is right for you, first determine if you prefer to have your car perform, or look like it performs.

There is no answer, just personal preference. Should you do most of your performance driving while cruisin', then lowering springs will service you well. If you are into a little weekend competition, performance springs are better suited for your needs.

No matter what your interests or activities, the worst thing you can do is cut your factory springs. Roland Grath of H&R explained this: "Cutting your factory springs will result in spring rates that are impossible to determine. In addition, without precision forming or cutting equipment, each spring will be cut slightly different. This will give you, at best, unbalanced handling. It could be a very dangerous situation. It could also be a very dangerous situation." (HCI Oct/Nov 2000 premier issue)

Design Types: Normal, Step Linear and Progressive Springs

1. Normal Springs (Linear rate Springs, Specific Rate Springs)

In a normal spring, space between the coils are equal. Normal (or linear rate) springs are designed to respond with a specific rate when compressed.

Consider we have a 10-coil spring, each coil spaced 2 centimeters apart. Put a load on the spring to compress it 2 centimeters. Because in Normal Springs coils compress at the same rate, this 2 centimeters will be divided into all 10 coils equal, resulting each coil spaced 1,8 cm apart. Put another additional load which is the same as the first one and the coils will become 1,6 cm apart.

2. Step Linear Springs (2 Step Linear Springs)

These are springs that have a 2 different spring rate.

In a two-step linear spring, about half the coils have shorter spacing. As the spring compresses, the coils move closer. At a certain point, the shorter spaced coils touch, effectively eliminating them from the spring. You then have a spring comprised of only the longer coils. This "second-step" spring will be much stiffer than the whole spring (the more coils, the easier it is to compress the spring). The result is that you have one set of handling characteristics before the shorter coils touch and then you have another, completely different level of response after they touch. (HyperPro website)

3. Progressive Springs (Rising Rate Springs, Progressive Rate Springs, Progressive Wound Springs)

In progressive springs each coil is spaced differently and they have a variable spring rate. When free, it is easy to compress the spring for first centimeters. As you apply more forces, coils on a progressive spring come closer. After a certain point, coils at the top 1/4 of the spring begin to touch each other and finally become inactive or dead, and that makes the spring stiffer. Apply more forces to a progressive spring then it becomes stiffer because as the number of active coils in a spring decreases, the spring rate increases. So, a progressive spring may both be sensitive to very small bumps on the road, while giving the stiffness you need during hard braking and turning.

Each spring design has its own market.

Progressive rate springs are likely "all-in one" solutions. They are often used on performance aftermarket kits like Eibach or others, and they are good for daily performance street driving. They help you achieve the highest performance when driving hard, while providing a smooth, comfortable drive the rest of the time.

Linear springs are more often used in drag racing, road racing, track and races that require a "high spring rate", in which a constant spring rate is more important than a smooth ride. They are still popular because they are:

1. Easier to produce and can be made to lower a car beyond the point of progressive rate springs.
2. Easy to work with, because the spring rate never changes, allowing quick chassis setup
3. Inexpensive, allowing most race teams to use several different sets depending on track conditions

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
so any brand can recommend to me?
1st priority CHEAP
2nd priority LOWERING till 2 fingers gap from fender
3rd priority comfort

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
tell u the hard truth!
no 1-2-3 listed...
ok, 2nd priority is usually fullfiled by every lowering spring out there, thus the name - "Sport/Lowered Sping".
3rd priority comes with price to pay. That's why usually ppl would say, once u use performance spring, u'll definitely loose comfort.
Don't know about others, but the most recomended spring is Eibach i believe. But the price tag ....hmmm.....high side!
Solely my opinion

praetorian

Known Member
May 27, 2004
lowering and confort?
very subjective. my car some people cannot tahan, some can ;D

also about the rosak absorbers,
please consider that the original absorbers were designed to work at a certain stroke, using lowered/shorter springs will reduce the available stroke of the dampers
your best bet, IMHO, is to get a matched set.
if you are not sure, ask around, or if your friends have already fitted, ask them how it feels.
i used to run on Improve sports dampers and Sapura springs

cost wise, you get what you pay for,
but spend wisely and research first

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello sifu here.. really need some advise on 4AGE 20v engine..I have using my BT for few years. So far very satisfied with it without any problem recently my car have start becomes sluggish...especially at light throttle and low rpm(2k-3k with load).. i ask some of the pomen here they said maybe is O2 sensor.. and i just change it already... but the prob still there... some said distributor.. and i have change it... but its the same... so penin.....:confused:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience