myvi 1.3 auto (drop in VS open pod)

dillon24

Apr 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
hi guys! i'm driving myvi auto 1.3, guys help me out which is better for myvi in terms of performance and pick up, open pod or drop in air filter. If it's an open pod, is open pod like simota carbon air intake will be okay? guys, i need your advice before I mod the air filter. Thanks!

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
hi dillon, just my opinion. Use back the OEM air filter and airbox. It's the best for me. Previously i'm using K&N open pod for my manual myvi and yes the performance is good only after 4k RPM. The restriction of the air suction is low using open pod in high rev comparing to the current setup. But the pickup isn't good as the OEM 1. I've changed back to OEM air filter after 2years of open pod. And open pod is way noisy to me while i do acceleration. Besides, open pod is quicker get dirty compare to OEM airbox. This is one of the reason i change back to OEM due to i don't have much time for my car anymore.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Auto just use drop in. Putting in open pod in an auto would kill your acceleration so much you won't be enjoying driving your car. Unless ur engine is heavily modified. But then, better get a manual than heavily modding an auto car.
Don't expect so much on drop in...it would only increase very slight power or torque or even none. So make sure you choose a reputable brand and don't go for cap ayam. You would somehow feels the car is less sluggish with drop in. Cheers.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Open pod is overrated. And if your car is stock, it'll do nothing more than rob you of your low end torque. If you get a drop in, be sure not to go for the steel mesh type. Those are not very good at filtration and for a stock car, you'll want plenty of filtration.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I would keep stock like bro. jerry. Worse case if still need to mod, just drop in as mentioned by bro. cvkit. For open pod, if you do not mod cold air intake you will be sucking in the engine compartment hot air, and that can actually adds to decrease your engine performance....

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Just stick back to OEM air filter. The air flow of OEM air filter is not bad yet cleaning it is fast, just use the air gun to clean it. If it is very dirty, just replace a new 1 and just cost you around RM20. Regarding the perfomance drop, it usually needs to use detergent to clean and and some of the brand need to re-oil. The maintenance cost, cleaning process and, time will definitely higher. No point to waste this unnecessary money if you not a heavy modder.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Just stick back to OEM air filter. The air flow of OEM air filter is not bad yet cleaning it is fast, just use the air gun to clean it. If it is very dirty, just replace a new 1 and just cost you around RM20. Regarding the perfomance drop, it usually needs to use detergent to clean and and some of the brand need to re-oil. The maintenance cost, cleaning process and, time will definitely higher. No point to waste this unnecessary money if you not a heavy modder.
DIY'er will definitely choose the drop in......:biggrin:

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
DIY'er will definitely choose the drop in......:biggrin:
Haha, last time still got some spare time to clean my open pod and re-oil. But it's too fast to get dirty. Maybe because of my CAI directing the air to the air filter. Now enjoying OEM air filter and the box. If not a high rev person, no need go for performance air filter, OEM air filter & box is the best i can say.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
is OEM filter re-washable? I thought that it is once off air filter and is K&N drop in will be okay? :hmmmm:

OEM air filter is non-washable. The material of the air filter element is some source of paper. Once you wash, it will be spoiled. Depend on the condition, if not really dirty but got some dirt there, you can ask your foreman clean it by using airgun, just 1min task. If you don mind to spend more on the air filter, you can try K&N or works air filter. But frankly speak here, there is no significant improve in performance wise.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
is OEM filter re-washable? I thought that it is once off air filter and is K&N drop in will be okay? :hmmmm:
Yup, OEM air filter are usually made of paper, so is not washable, but if your OEM filter is expensive as in some car models then using a washable drop in will be better. Will have savings in the long run, and better if you DIY....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

But the air flow noise of an open pod...I know sometimes it is irresistible :biggrin:
As what bro. jerry said unless you are a high rev person, then the sucking sound is irresistible.....:rofl:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
for Drop In filter, is it true that this filter allow more air thus dirt into TB is more?
For me it is a YES. For example K & N filter (I use before). If you hold the filter in the air and look through the filter element you can see the pores/holes. If you hold up a OEM paper filter element you don't see any, that is why they filter better. K & N due to larger pores/holes they require oiling to help trap the dirt, that is why regular washing and re-oiling is required. Once the oil layer is covered with dust, it loses it's ability to trap, so more dust/dirt will go through....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It was only a matter of time before somebody threw McLaren’s benchmark-setting F1 against its ‘supposed’ spiritual successor, the MP4-12C. The apostrophes are present because even though this is McLaren’s first fully home-built sportscar since the F1, the boys from Woking themselves have made it crystal clear that the MP4-12C was never intended to be in the same class as the F1.

The F1 was in a league of...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience