Moded Saga (HELP needed)

CelicaIzPower

Known Member
Jan 3, 2006
www.zbs.com.my
Hi,

My gf is driving a 1989 Proton Saga 1.5 with magma engine. recently we wanted to paint the car, so myself with my manly feeling brought the car and did some modification. below listed is what i have added to the car.

1.> K&N Style air intake
2.> This fuel thing that looks like this <<||||||>> which i bought at brothers that cost RM 58 which is suppose to save fuel. I think it is called a fuel/air compressor.
3.> Bosch Super 4 spark plugs
4.> complete Race exhaust system.

the problem,

the car feels lack of mid range. 0-40KMH very very quick but 40-100++ VERY SLOWW!!! according to my friend is that there is too much air than fuel ratio in the engine. is this true? and if it is. where can i find a good tuner mech shop?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Zackery

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
too much air than fuel? the ratio can adjust 1 meh?

i tot only can adjust the RPM how high only u want......i sendiri tune up to 1300RPM.......with and without air-cond

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
race exhaust??... mayb there is some minor defect on ur exhaust setting that causes that... mind telling how ur exhaust setup is??....

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
gohkokeng said:
too much air than fuel? the ratio can adjust 1 meh?

i tot only can adjust the RPM how high only u want......i sendiri tune up to 1300RPM.......with and without air-cond
Timing too high = fuel wastage.
My wira the timing is around 700-900, so when stop and the air-cond is on, the car vibrate abit... But as long as can save fuel abit, oklah, no comment.
Anyway i don't trust the fuel saver or whatever gadgets, before save fuel have to waste money on it first, then only know from 1liter/10km become 1liter/10.5km. Like recently i bypass my catalytic filter on exhaust, they said can save fuel by 10% and have more power on it. But end up my FC improved abit only, but my car no lagging after this.
Maybe is the engine's problem, who know, from 1989 till now. Try to change to bigger plug cable, 9.5mm if not mistaken.

white_bird

500 RPM
Jul 9, 2005
puchong
carbie engine can tune fuel.. kekeke.. by using a special tool.. anyway.. i don think it's the air/fuel ratio problem.. maybe it's ur exhaust system.. too big or mayb too straight.. loss some torque at certain rpm..
btw.. don use those fuel saving stuff.. those volt stabilizer or grounding wire is ok... don use those wad wad air lar.. it interrupts the intake system..
juz my point of view lar..

theorekz

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
hiztorikal.c.t.
Visit site
personally i think air-fuel is not the cause of this problem.... In my aspect, i think is the exhaust setting... how much is the piping size??? Too big of diameter will cause u to lost the power at mid.... but gain power at high-end...

Last edited:

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
kyheng said:
Timing too high = fuel wastage.
My wira the timing is around 700-900, so when stop and the air-cond is on, the car vibrate abit... But as long as can save fuel abit, oklah, no comment.
Anyway i don't trust the fuel saver or whatever gadgets, before save fuel have to waste money on it first, then only know from 1liter/10km become 1liter/10.5km. Like recently i bypass my catalytic filter on exhaust, they said can save fuel by 10% and have more power on it. But end up my FC improved abit only, but my car no lagging after this.
Maybe is the engine's problem, who know, from 1989 till now. Try to change to bigger plug cable, 9.5mm if not mistaken.

haha ok.....i tried my RPM timing sharp at 1000, and 800 and now 1300

all setting almost same the FC.......RM60 can make 400km (1.62 la)

cause seldom traffic jam long time.....so is like never make a different

set higher just help u "tarik" abit the fuel pedal only........and the important part is haha it really make some different in term of pick up and power that really i can feel.

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
Saga 8v pickup should be very good (compare to 12v which better in top end)

Bosch Super 4 spark plugs only improve ignition, performace wise NO.

K&N Style air intake, open pod izzit ? Will reduce your engine power when it's warmed up...else you need to do cold air intake. If drop in then fuel consumption and acceleration should be better. Lighter pedal and faster RPM respond.

The fuel saving thingy mostly waste your $$

Complete Race exhaust system ?? You mean from extractor till muffler ? Did you increase piping size ? If yes possible this is the MAIN factor cause you loose of pickup. Also if you change the piping style (straightflow or bend here and there then again will effect the car pickup)

NEVER TOUCH your carb tuning if it's fine all this while. Once the setting lari...IT's very hard to get it back...either you will get bad idling or bad fuel consumption.

Engine timing, HAHAHA i never see you mentioned adjusted it before..why got ppl suggest you play with the timing ? :Not_Impressed:

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
g88 said:
Saga 8v pickup should be very good (compare to 12v which better in top end)

NEVER TOUCH your carb tuning if it's fine all this while. Once the setting lari...IT's very hard to get it back...either you will get bad idling or bad fuel consumption.

carb tuning is that the RPM?

lol very hard to get it back meh? haha just set 2 thing

OFF aircond
ON aircond.......that it only wo......

want to set to how many RPM u like 1 la......

haha what do u meant how to get it back?

u meant get it back sharp on 1000RPM?

white_bird

500 RPM
Jul 9, 2005
puchong
carb tuning isnt tht hard.. u juz need a AFR meter(not inside the car 1 ar..)
those like wideband.. u need either a special tool or a screwdriver to turn at it (normally u wont c where is it, it's located in btwn engine n firewall)..
abt the timing.. i think u guys got misunderstand abit here..
is it the ignition timing or rpm? nobody call rpm as timing 1..
the rpm also can set easily for carbie engine (only idling)..

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
let me see mine...
1. VR4 disc...
2. 15 inch heavy rims...
3. changed the muffler...
4. did something to my flywheel...
5. changed plug cable...
6. used Ron 97 fuel...

Guess what is the result i get?
I managed to keep up with a Satria MIVEC on first and second gear!!!!
hahahaha...

OH yeah did i mention that my car is a 1.3 carb???

CelicaIzPower

Known Member
Jan 3, 2006
www.zbs.com.my
dear all,

after much check here and there. i've found that the bolt for the air filter (new and installed at brothers) was too high and it hits the stabilizer bar thus making the carb slightly presurred where effects the throthle pull back thing (where the throthle cable is being pull at) so the solution is

1.> cut the nut so that it will be slightly lower.
2.> service the carb (since too much unwanted stuff fell in when brothers fitting in the air filter element.
3.> need to retune the distributor to setup the plug burst time.

anyway thanks for all your comments.. it really make me look at alternatives.

12oY

Known Member
Nov 9, 2004
kuantan
Visit site
yes carb need to tuning to have good result..sent to mechanic or workshop which have CO detector like CO meter then only can tuning just tell u wan performance tuning then the mechanic will help u de... he tune everything include the aircon and the rpm ideling event when engine cold start and warm up rpm thn tune ur distributer so sent the correct timing which c with timing light 1....and the most important thing is mahe sure u change ur fuel filtter and service ur carb if u fell like jerking ur engine .... chear bro....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

planning 2 bolt on turbo for my little 1nzfe ~ but really really noob in this.. hope can get advice from sifu around here ^_^ here i got few question

1 how much does it cost ? i mean as low as possible price XD
2 wat boost are most recommand for vios ? 0.5 ? 1.0 ? for safety range..
3 took how long 2 install for all ? :biggrin:
4 donno at bintulu where can recommand 2 install ? :biggrin:
5 will it damage our engine if low boost ?
6 possible can get 7sec 2 hunderd ?? now my current...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience