Looking for body car painting

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
My understanding from last time talking to the Glasurit HQ in South Africa, Glasurit is moving away from oil based paints and going into water based paints which is significantly cheaper than oil. Isn't this true here in Malaysia?
If it's true I've certainly x heard or seen it..however I think AIKKA brand if x mistaken got water based..never used it before tho so x comment

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Due to growing environmental issues and legislation pressure, Glasurit paint lines had to switch to water-base.
Country such as the US has imposed strict rules/req. on car manufacturers to use water-based paint and stuff if they want to sell cars/import cars in US.

This is one of the measure to counter pollution.

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
My friend did spray whole car before and many years ago, close to RM6k
Yeah bro...it is costly...very costly...boleh :banghead: wor hehe...even when I sprayed my Wira (ex Wira now sob) it cost me 3k..n that was in '96!!!

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Hahahha, if that car owner is complaining about very expensive spray job, just politely ask the owner to "beli cat sendiri, buat prep work sendiri, spray paint sendiri and hepi sendiri".

Let see how much RM the owner spent and what is the outcome later. :biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Hahahha, if that car owner is complaining about very expensive spray job, just politely ask the owner to "beli cat sendiri, buat prep work sendiri, spray paint sendiri and hepi sendiri".

Let see how much RM the owner spent and what is the outcome later. :biggrin:
lol buat sendiri, i imagine, 6 months down the road, kerja still belum siap, no car to drive:banghead:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Actually, how expensive can a respray go? I've seen a Wira belonging to my friend's friend which had a superbly nice paint job with tiny specks of sparkles on it. The paint quality even looks better than those found in new cars out of factory. My friend said the Wira owner spent around RM6k to respray his Wira. Is it really worth it to spend this amount to respray at car and will these paint last long for like maybe more than 10 years?

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Actually, how expensive can a respray go? I've seen a Wira belonging to my friend's friend which had a superbly nice paint job with tiny specks of sparkles on it. The paint quality even looks better than those found in new cars out of factory. My friend said the Wira owner spent around RM6k to respray his Wira. Is it really worth it to spend this amount to respray at car and will these paint last long for like maybe more than 10 years?
Well d costs r very subjective n vary from shop to shop,location to location...I've spoke to n owner of a 350z near my place once (he painted his car in MULTIEFFECT aka chameleon)..asked him how much n where he did it..it cost him 13k n he did it somewhere in sunway..honestly I myself have done a couple for much less then that...

Regarding whether it lasts long n worth d dough u pay well that all depends on d painter n how he mixes the paint n how he sprays them n not to mention d product he uses..there r now loads of cheapo,'al-cap ayam' n in house brands especially for lacquer...n honestly they x really last (min 1yr max maybe 3yrs depends how u care for d car)...of coz it's very much cheaper (between 1k to 1.2k) for a whole car..so customer choice n budget plays a big part..

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The tiny sparkles are the metallic flakes. There are fine metallic and coarse metallic too, so depends on what the owner wants. Paint cost is one thing then there is the clear coat which have many grades too. Glasurit is one of the better ones and very expensive.
So come to your wira whether worth the RM6k paint job. If your wira is worth RM6k and doing a RM6k paint job the wira is still worth RM6k only not RM12k.....lol
That is one of the main reason whether to spray my Sonata III or not. Overall the paint is still good but scratches here and there, some knocks here and there, Bumper paint is peeling. Car probably worth RM5k and to spray probably RM2k, so still thinking whether to spray or not.....lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
The tiny sparkles are the metallic flakes. There are fine metallic and coarse metallic too, so depends on what the owner wants. Paint cost is one thing then there is the clear coat which have many grades too. Glasurit is one of the better ones and very expensive.
So come to your wira whether worth the RM6k paint job. If your wira is worth RM6k and doing a RM6k paint job the wira is still worth RM6k only not RM12k.....lol
That is one of the main reason whether to spray my Sonata III or not. Overall the paint is still good but scratches here and there, some knocks here and there, Bumper paint is peeling. Car probably worth RM5k and to spray probably RM2k, so still thinking whether to spray or not.....lol
Since I know my Wira can't be sold for any value, might as well keep it running for the next 10 years ma. Don't want to get new car and pay installment every month. Rather fix and experiment with new things on this Wira.

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Haha yeah true again bro...but in all seriousness whether u wanna respray ur car or x depends on whether ur willing n can tahan or x driving d car that looks that 'bad'..for me honestly I had my old Wira for about 16yrs n in those years I had it resprayed 2x (when I got d car it was oredi resprayed different color...so total 3x)..

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Since I know my Wira can't be sold for any value, might as well keep it running for the next 10 years ma. Don't want to get new car and pay installment every month. Rather fix and experiment with new things on this Wira.
Yeah bro..like I mentioned to bro vr if u can tahan or tolerate driving d car in its current condition (eg. With d bumps n scratches n all) then ok la..if x respraying is a good n effective investment n way to make an old ride look new (maybe even better then new factory cars...minus proton la which I personally think is crap...before my Wira I drove a brand new satria n d paint started to fade..front bonnet n roof..about 6-8months later)...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yeah bro..like I mentioned to bro vr if u can tahan or tolerate driving d car in its current condition (eg. With d bumps n scratches n all) then ok la..if x respraying is a good n effective investment n way to make an old ride look new (maybe even better then new factory cars...minus proton la which I personally think is crap...before my Wira I drove a brand new satria n d paint started to fade..front bonnet n roof..about 6-8months later)...
My current paint is ok, original from factory since 1999. Just that recently, rust problems started to appear on roof and rear bonnet. Minor dents and scratches can also be found on the side of the car body. So, I was thinking, I should respray the car some time in the future, probably next year or 2 years later.

But when it comes to respray, I wonder should I go for expensive ones like the RM6k that I mentioned earlier which looks impressive or just settle with some RM1k-RM2k paint. I saw before those ordinary respray and they do look terrible. They have some sort of matte look on it when I look at the paint up close. The RM6k paint Wira that I mentioned totally don't have such signs.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

In light of recent events, I thought it'd be prudent to talk about flooding and how it affects us - the motorheads.

Generally speaking, water + engine = BAD

Not referring to those water/methanol injection kits, those inject very small amounts of water into the intake and usually as a mist. I'm talking about copious amounts of water that seep into your engine bay through your cold air...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience