KCNG's Guide to Preserving VW's DSG 7-speed Transmission

kcng

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2008
Selangor
kcng1983.blogspot.com
Re: New Turbo VW Vento priced between RM80-90K, launches next week!

on a serious note... when people complain about the DSG7, has they look into understanding how DSG is supposed to work or do they just drive it like a normal torque converter automatic?
enlighten us, how one should treat the DSG7

I heard from ericmaxmann, that owners should go full manual especially in traffic as to not allow DSG to continuously hunt for the next gear
from my limited experience... i notice that the DSG7 up-shift to D2 even on speed as slow as 4 km/h.
So if we look at this scenario from a manual car point of view, if we are to use 2nd gear in such low speed, we will most likely be half-clutching right to prevent the car from stalling?

and what happens if u keep half-clutching? heats build up and until a certain level your clutch will start slipping and finally give-up altogether until u cool it down... (those stuck in jam going up genting will know..)

so being a dry-clutch unit... if u keep letting the DSG7 half-clutch, u get heat build-up in the clutch and this causes the Mechatronic "Shift-piston" to not be able to engage properly (as metal expands on heat) and by forcing the "shift-piston" thru the opening, chances are that this action causes the "shift-piston" to bend or displaced thus signalling the end of the road for this mecha unit.
(That is why on DSG7, on slow speed if u are to wind down the window, u will be able to hear "clark-clark sound" coming from the engine bay.. that is basically the DSG7 mecha shifting/engaging).

(Another factor could be the heat build-up causes the solenoids drivers to fry thus ending the life of the mecha, but this is just purely my theory)

so by going manual, u are only engaging D1 and not allowing the gearbox to upshift to D2 and by this u lower the period the gearbox is spent "half-clutching" and thus reducing the heat amount built-up.

now mineral oil is claimed to solve the problem question.
in my opinion, mineral oil is thicker and running thicker oil usually means you can tolerate higher heat... (that is why track car uses Xw50 or Xw60...)
so by putting mineral oil, it is hope that DSG7 will be able to have higher heat level toleration and thus minimizing the chances of failure. the trade-off in this is that u will get slightly slower shift-time.

that is my 2 cents view sorely based on my limited experience with my own DSG7...
:adore:

P/S - if they claim to have a revised mecha for the Jetta CKD DSG7 compared to the CBU, i have backend proof that they are basically the same unit, with difference only in Serial Number, Manufacturer Number, Date and Flash Tool Code.
:biggrin:

kcng

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2008
Selangor
kcng1983.blogspot.com
But they are still selling the FS oil mah! sure got change to minerals?:driver:
yup.... i can somewhat feel the difference between mineral and synthetic...
:stupid:

on synthetic, the up-shift is somewhat "crispier" compared to mineral...
you will feel it when u drive it lah basically...

:driver:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

now mineral oil is claimed to solve the problem question.
in my opinion, mineral oil is thicker and running thicker oil usually means you can tolerate higher heat... (that is why track car uses Xw50 or Xw60...)
so by putting mineral oil, it is hope that DSG7 will be able to have higher heat level toleration and thus minimizing the chances of failure. the trade-off in this is that u will get slightly slower shift-time.

that is my 2 cents view sorely based on my limited experience with my own DSG7...
:adore:

...:
Wouldn't it be better to use thicker but still synthetic oil coz synthetic oil theoretically should be able to withstand more heat, then by using the thicker viscosity would offer the best protection?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
But that also depends on the shear stability of the oil and the parts/area that needs penetration. If tight area thinner viscosity will penetrate better

kcng

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2008
Selangor
kcng1983.blogspot.com

Wouldn't it be better to use thicker but still synthetic oil coz synthetic oil theoretically should be able to withstand more heat, then by using the thicker viscosity would offer the best protection?
yes, that has me thinking too...
so i am guessing that they do not have a thicker synthetic oil for the DSG7 hence the mineral oil alternative...

why develop mineral oil instead of developing synthetic oil?
my opinion is that they already have the mineral oil sample / storage / etc during the development and testing of the DSG7 and instead of developing a new oil from ground up, the cheaper way is to use existing formula as it make more sense from a business point of view and not to mention quicker to rollout too...
(this statement is purely my view lah...)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

Does anyone here knows where can i get this few brands of engine oil in Ipoh?
Any shops in Ipoh selling this..?

1. Liqui Moly MOS2 Leichtlauf 10w-40
2. Eneos Motor Oil Racing GT 10w-40 SN/CF
3. Petro Canada Supreme 10w-40 API SN
4. Mitsubishi Motors 10w-40

View attachment 513907 View attachment 513908 View attachment 513909 View attachment 513912

And also where can i get this few brands of auto...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience