Karat On My Car....

FuGZ

1,000 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
Random
Visit site
i think what a workshop will do is sandpaper is till the rust is gone, then a layer of anti-rust, then maybe the paint. I'm planning to do a part of my roof too. a big spot has oxidised due to bird dropping. :angry:

trueno

1,500 RPM
Nov 30, 2003
Skudai,JB
Visit site
Originally posted by FuGZ@May 22 2004, 08:38 PM
i think what a workshop will do is sandpaper is till the rust is gone, then a layer of anti-rust, then maybe the paint. I'm planning to do a part of my roof too. a big spot has oxidised due to bird dropping. :angry:
..my fren's wira last time send to workshop to respray that car roof,coz got few spots of karat(quite serious),cause by rain,...but after few month the problem coming again...we dunno why... ;)

FuGZ

1,000 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
Random
Visit site
i think it depends on how they do it. all the steps taken. i think the best is..

they sandpaper it down till a smooth surface. then put anti-rust paint or treatment, then primer(dunno the spelling) paint b4 putting the last paint on top...

Hopefully someone can come up with an answer as well... i'm also looking for an answer.... i hate birdshit! :angry:

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
In my area,
1) Most young and lazy body mechanics
- they want short-cut, so, they will just sand paper it off and apply antirust and body clay
- respray it and it's done
- it'll come back in a few years time

2) Old and hardworking ones
- they will strip off the ceiling of your interior
- then grind off the whole roof to check for rust
- drill onto the place that there's rust if it's a spot or take that whole piece of rust out
- if it's a spot, they will fill the hole by putting solders 'timah' that they use to put on electronics boards
- if it's a piece, they will replace the piece with another new piece that they bought in a roll. Make sure the material is good and not thin. Normally, it's alluminum.

I sent my old car to those old fellas and they need 2 weeks to finish it. The result is perfect and the cost is a bit expensive. Worth it! :) but i sold my car. :(

ken12292703

Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
I am in Seremban
Their workshop is under a big tree with some old huts

The price is around RM300 to RM500 for the roof depends on their mood and the cars they have. Without paint spray. It might be cheaper if it is not very serious.

They are only two old bird body mechanics working.
They are very friendly. :P

SataniC

Old Is Gold
Dec 9, 2003
Subang
Visit site
no man...dun send ur car to lazy buggers...karat is like a tumour for ur car....if one panel kena sure later on the other part kena one...so best if u could change rather than sanding/cutting the affected part....last time my iswara was full of karat...send to one bugger and he just cut the karat and weld new one....a few months later karat again...diu...now i just change the whole roof and the door skin :)

ken12292703

Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
You are right SataniC.
They will change it if it is too serious.
Good mechanics will think for your pockets sometimes. :)

KP61

500 RPM
May 12, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by FuGZ@May 22 2004, 09:22 PM
i think it depends on how they do it. all the steps taken. i think the best is..

they sandpaper it down till a smooth surface. then put anti-rust paint or treatment, then primer(dunno the spelling) paint b4 putting the last paint on top...

Hopefully someone can come up with an answer as well... i'm also looking for an answer.... i hate birdshit! :angry:
Bro, the rust on proton cars especially the roof is due to the silicone the original manufacturer uses. The silicone eats into the layer of coating on the metal and when the silicone becomes loose it starts to rust from the inside out to the top of the roof. Bird shit is acidic too but most of the proton cars have this problem and normally the best solution is to change the roof sheet. No matter how u sand and spray anti rust at the spot also no use coz it is from the inside. That's why when ur car is new that's the best time the take the silicone off and pump in good type of silicone but it is something we....i mean i wouldn't do coz..lazy lah... :lol: .correct me if i'm wrong but to my experience that is the case coz my friends car also got the same problem. Cheers!

FuGZ

1,000 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
Random
Visit site
Originally posted by KP61+May 23 2004, 10:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KP61 @ May 23 2004, 10:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FuGZ@May 22 2004, 09:22 PM

Hopefully someone can come up with an answer as well... i'm also looking for an answer.... i hate birdshit!  :angry:
Bro, the rust on proton cars especially the roof is due to the silicone the original manufacturer uses. The silicone eats into the layer of coating on the metal and when the silicone becomes loose it starts to rust from the inside out to the top of the roof. Bird shit is acidic too but most of the proton cars have this problem and normally the best solution is to change the roof sheet. No matter how u sand and spray anti rust at the spot also no use coz it is from the inside. That's why when ur car is new that's the best time the take the silicone off and pump in good type of silicone but it is something we....i mean i wouldn't do coz..lazy lah... :lol: .correct me if i'm wrong but to my experience that is the case coz my friends car also got the same problem. Cheers! [/b][/quote]
KP61,

thanks for sharing, will keep that in mind. :)

GTR2579

500 RPM
Mar 6, 2004
selayang-kepong
www.facebook.com
Originally posted by SataniC@May 23 2004, 08:45 PM
no man...dun send ur car to lazy buggers...karat is like a tumour for ur car....if one panel kena sure later on the other part kena one...so best if u could change rather than sanding/cutting the affected part....last time my iswara was full of karat...send to one bugger and he just cut the karat and weld new one....a few months later karat again...diu...now i just change the whole roof and the door skin :)
yalor, no use one..save money to change whole roof
Just plan change my satria roof few week ago,
roof from chopshop (RM380), labour(RM650), paint (RM300)
<_<