Increase stopping power. Viva

dancerface

Known Member
Dec 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys.

Want to ask, currently my viva stopping power is insufficient. But, the pads really sucks. So called "semi metallic" after few hard brakings the pads like no grip and cant tahan the heat. Planning to change to those bigger honda calipers and rotors, rm500 only.. or should I remain my calipers and my cross drilled slotted rotors?

Basically, Should I change to bigger calipers or just get better pads and steel braided hose?

Pros of having the big calipers is that it will look dam good. But well, function over form is more important. More towards performance though.

Cons is that I might skid since I have no ABS.

What upsets me the most is that when coming down from genting always afraid I cant brake in time..

What brand of brake pads should I change? Suitable for touge.

Thanks guys!

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The 'bite' rate...lol is mainly determined by 2 factor : the amount of caliper and disc size. Going for more caliper and bigger disc is usually a most effective upgrade.
Steel braided hose eliminates the spongy brake feel as it does not flex on frequent braking. Less bubbling too, that is if the brake lines are proper bleed. This upgrade usually comes in handy when done with dual layer servo.
Performance pad usually had lesser brake 'fade' effect but another issue is it wear out the stock disc faster than the non-performance pad. More dust too..lol. Thus, performance pad need to pair with performance disc so both works in tandem on higher / optimum temperature.
Cross drilled and slotted disc is effective in eliminating the brake 'fade' to some extent, brake system will still be effective after constant usage. I have seen some JDM touge car equipped with custom air tunnel channel to front brake system which is quite a noble effort on non-supercars. Reason to have 3 CAI, 1 to engine with carbon filter, another 2 to front brake with simple filtering!

Btw, go for bigger caliper and cross drilled upgrade. But you may need the help of some flexing stock brake hose to compensate
the stronger stopping power(if so) though.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
avoid cross drilled... tiny cracks can appear at the holes which will lead to even bigger cracks... even happens to the Skyline R35 stock cross drilled rotors....at most... slotted is enough.... current brake pad technology doesnt require the holes to be present to get rid of them gasses.

RM500 for honda brakes? u mean THIS?? good upgrade... but minimum 15" wheels required... although alot of 15" wheels can clear these brakes... there are a few that dont...even paired with OEM honda pads should be a big upgrade to ur stock brakes.. would recommend something better though..

id recommend steel braided hoses one shot with DOT4 fluid for ur viva...then start learning to control ur leg.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Too strong braking power, like you said, your car may skid. I have never driven to Genting with my Kelisa before, but my brakes
are all OEM and it serves me well so far.

Just knowing your car limits is the best way to control your car.

May not be the same braking system as your viva but then for small car with drum brakes, I think for kelisa is good enough for me.

You can consider steel braided hose as per recommended. Super Street Braided Hose seems better
than the Pro RS braided hose

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
get a myvi front calipers and rotors. pnp. upsized and cheap too.

Last edited:

dancerface

Known Member
Dec 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Im retaining the rear drum brakes. I had a friend who did all sides to disc brakes.. Complaining of skidding even though. Now thinking of changing only front calipers and rotors to either honda's or passo's. What do you guys think? If honda I have to retain the 15 inch rims, if passo I can change 14's because the rotor is 10.5inch. Else, just steel braided hose and some better pads. Going down genting brake fades alot.. really not satisfying.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Im retaining the rear drum brakes. I had a friend who did all sides to disc brakes.. Complaining of skidding even though. Now thinking of changing only front calipers and rotors to either honda's or passo's. What do you guys think? If honda I have to retain the 15 inch rims, if passo I can change 14's because the rotor is 10.5inch. Else, just steel braided hose and some better pads. Going down genting brake fades alot.. really not satisfying.
Dude, if your brakes are fading a cross drilled and slotted rotor, it'll help a lot. But if you want better brakes consider getting the Myvi 1.5 calipers. They are slightly larger than the Passo one and they have less caliper vibration issues. Brand new they go for about RM380 a side.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
just change to EBC brake pads, flush out your brake fluid & top up with new oil thats enuf.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

OOo ya....no need to drive down fast from genting. follow speed limit no need BBK.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ya, thought of changing Kelisa brake drums to disc at a time until my friend told me about
the risk of skidding and yet kelisa is stock, no need too strong braking power.

Maybe try playing with gears when coming down genting. Is actually wrong to drive all the
way down from genting by fully utilizing the brakes. Which is why some cars have some
burning smell after driving awhile down genting.

I try to control the brakes bit by bit and use low gears when going down genting. Not kelisa
but my other car with brake drums as well.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
just change to EBC brake pads, flush out your brake fluid & top up with new oil thats enuf.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

OOo ya....no need to drive down fast from genting. follow speed limit no need BBK.
EBC Green?

But if drive auto, brakes does heat up going down Genting. Manual different loh.....

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Hi guys.

Want to ask, currently my viva stopping power is insufficient. But, the pads really sucks. So called "semi metallic" after few hard brakings the pads like no grip and cant tahan the heat. Planning to change to those bigger honda calipers and rotors, rm500 only.. or should I remain my calipers and my cross drilled slotted rotors?

Basically, Should I change to bigger calipers or just get better pads and steel braided hose?

Pros of having the big calipers is that it will look dam good. But well, function over form is more important. More towards performance though.

Cons is that I might skid since I have no ABS.

What upsets me the most is that when coming down from genting always afraid I cant brake in time..

What brand of brake pads should I change? Suitable for touge.

Thanks guys!
What pads are those? OEM or after market?
To me since engine not modified for power, just a pad change should be sufficient like Bendix Metal King, but these pads don't bite well when cold.
Check and see if they have Trestor Blue Advantage for you car make. I am using and they do bite better then the Bendix, cold and/or hot....:driver:

dancerface

Known Member
Dec 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
My pads only rm60 semi-metallic. No idea what brand. Forgot. I feel its my pads problem. When pressing brakes during a bump at genting, the pads overheat and not biting.. Basically rolling slightly faster over the bump. If cant brake in time and there is a car infront really GG. Also, if going faster if emergency have to brake also GG. BBK is actually still those rm500 single pot from honda. Looks better la.. But alternate choice is steel braided hose and better pads. EBC? lols. Super car?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My pads only rm60 semi-metallic. No idea what brand. Forgot. I feel its my pads problem. When pressing brakes during a bump at genting, the pads overheat and not biting.. Basically rolling slightly faster over the bump. If cant brake in time and there is a car infront really GG. Also, if going faster if emergency have to brake also GG. BBK is actually still those rm500 single pot from honda. Looks better la.. But alternate choice is steel braided hose and better pads. EBC? lols. Super car?
If can afford the $$$ then can go for EBC loh!
My VR only using Trestor Blue Advantage.....:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I know that feeling on Genting. Experienced myself.

Quick fix - get cross drilled and slotted (plus ventilated) rotors. Use good pads that have high heat tolerance like Trestor Blue, Bendix Metal King (lousy grip when cold), Ferodo Zero, EBC (expensive) or some other lesser known brands like Improve Platinum, Rapidstop, etc. Good brake oil (DOT5.1) and steel braided hoses will help as well to prevent spongy brake pedal feel but aren't absolutely necessary. Try these first la.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Agree with Izso. Steel braided brake lines won't increase stopping power anyhow.

For pure stopping power, it's either calipers with bigger piston, or better pads. Let your budget decide.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

There is hardly a car today that is more expensive, more beautiful, more desirable, and to some extent, faster than the Pagani Zonda. The Italian masterpiece trumps other Italian car makers, and I'm saying this with great confidence because there really is no other Italian car maker that could match the looks and desirability of a Zonda.

Autocar UK got a chance to take one of the last Zonda's...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience