How to improve low end performance?

saru04

Jan 2, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hey guys,

I am currently driving Honda City auto transmission 1.5 year 2013. Fully stock.

My car acceleration from 0-30hm/hr is horrible. Its feels like its dragging my whole car. I am looking at ways to improve the low end acceleration.

So far there's 2 things on my mind:
1) Change only the car extractor for better flow. Reason for only choosing extractor is because I don't want my car to produce too much noise.
2) Install e-manage and tuning.

Which method mentioned above is better for low end acceleration improvement? If there is better methods please do let me know too.

Thank you.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
bro, I don't mean to dampen your spirit...but the culprit the your average performance from your honda is due to the nature of your car. It's designed originally not mean to be a brisk car in the first place. It is tuned for fuel efficient and travelling from a-b with simplicity.

besides, its an auto, NA and only a mere 1.5l

Sorry if I sounded discouraging.

satria81

500 RPM
Sep 19, 2005
PETALING JAYA
TS,

suggest you have your honda checked at the service center.

i own a honda city 2011 SE. the performance from the engine from 0-80kmh is of no issue to me. smooth power delivery. i feel it is well balanced baring on mind it is a 1500cc AUTO TRANNY.

ensure to meet the service manager at the honda service station, ensure to go to major service center , it is your right, so make a request to meet him and tell him that you do not need bullshit, but to get down to troubleshoot the problem for once and for all. try to avoid service advisors on the counter please ! know your rights, if they try to be funny, just ensure to communicate that you will take up the issue with HONDA JAPAN !!

my personal view :

- no need to change the extractor, run it stock, the manufacturer has spend lots of money on research and devolopment
- no need e-manage if the engine is stock as the stock ECU can handle it being stock.

honda city 2011 model is a awesome car to me. i have another car, but i prefer the city on many occasions

----- ITS NOTHING BESIDES THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE HERE -----

Last edited:

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
you can always stick to basic mod first before going into more hardcore stuff....

for example like try selection air filters, exhaust, lighten your vehicle, lower viscosity engine oil and bla bla bla.....

then if still not meet your desire outcome, you can go into the cam,piston, clutch , emanage stuff or bolt on if you like.......

if you still not satisfied, maybe you should consider little higher cc car for a comfortable mod ground before you over spend on something that is not what you wan at the first place.

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
Hey guys,

I am currently driving Honda City auto transmission 1.5 year 2013. Fully stock.

My car acceleration from 0-30hm/hr is horrible. Its feels like its dragging my whole car. I am looking at ways to improve the low end acceleration.

So far there's 2 things on my mind:
1) Change only the car extractor for better flow. Reason for only choosing extractor is because I don't want my car to produce too much noise.
2) Install e-manage and tuning.

Which method mentioned above is better for low end acceleration improvement? If there is better methods please do let me know too.

Thank you.
What's the current mileage of your car ? Have you done a engine break-in ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break-in_(mechanical_run-in)

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Its a new car.. Do what satria81 suggested..

If its an old car, i can recommend a lot of things to do..

But in ur case.. Changing things might void ur warranty

saru04

Jan 2, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Basically its a new car.

From the day I got it, its been that way.

I asked some people in a different forum and they told me the same thing. they say that from 0-30 is horrible.

It is smoother from 40 onwards.

I don't know if its my car or is it all that way.

I'm going back to Honda service center middle of January.

My mileage is approximately 500km.

Could it be my ECU haven't learn my driving style?

Some of my friends told me that the ECU needs to adapt to my driving.

I'm really confused and lost.

satria81

500 RPM
Sep 19, 2005
PETALING JAYA
saru04,

look at it this way:

honda did not produce the car to perform in such a manner. make sense rite ?

i suggest to have it checked at a major honda service center at the earliest. i am sure there is something not in it's right state.

make sure the tone of communication will be understood by the service manager that you MUST have this rectified, or else they might just test your car and do some crap and come back to you saying that it is in normal state.

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Bro saru04,

First you need to set your expectation right, what do you expect from a 1.5ltr A/T economy city car? Did you test drove one before you bought it? That test drive is the most important process before buying one to tell you what you can expect from it. If you didn't test drive one but straight away just bought it, then you may get mismatched expectation and disappointed. True that your car is still too new, you may need to wait till the run-in 1000km period is over before you draw a conclusion. Or you may ask for a test drive from Honda or if you got other friends who got one to confirm how you feel of it.

Anyway if you do still want to improve the low end torque, there are nothing much you can do (assuming the car is normal, especially since it's new) if you don't want to void the warranty. Changing air filter with drop-in one is possible (as you can easily put back the ori before service) but it won't improve noticeably. Changing extractors/exhaust system or adding piggy back ECU surely will void the warranty. So think carefully before you hastily mod your brand spanking new car.

saru04

Jan 2, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I understand what you guys are saying.

I was told to remap my stock ECU.

And also one of my friend told me that there is a possibility that the stock ECU learn my driving style. When I first got the car up til now, I did not rev it at all. I kept it the RPM low. Could it affect the car in any way?

And may I also just ask, is it okay to rev your engine when your car is new? There are who say its okay and some say not good for engine.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I understand what you guys are saying.

I was told to remap my stock ECU.

And also one of my friend told me that there is a possibility that the stock ECU learn my driving style. When I first got the car up til now, I did not rev it at all. I kept it the RPM low. Could it affect the car in any way?

And may I also just ask, is it okay to rev your engine when your car is new? There are who say its okay and some say not good for engine.
You need to refer to what is recommended in the user guide or ask the service center what is the regular procedure for your car during the first 1000km, and follow that. Usually just drive normally, meaning you can still rev until mid range rpm (3000-4000). The idea behind not to rev it to the max during this period is because to allow the engine internals to settle in properly first, and also because there might be particles during manufacturing that might still be left in there.

You haven't answer my question though, did you test drive one before buying it?

saru04

Jan 2, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry forgot to answer that part.

No I did not test drive it but I sat in my uncle's Honda City before. His car model is EX or something I can't remember.

His car seems fine. Can't really recall. Need to test out with him.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry forgot to answer that part.

No I did not test drive it but I sat in my uncle's Honda City before. His car model is EX or something I can't remember.

His car seems fine. Can't really recall. Need to test out with him.
As I suspect that's the problem actually. That's a big mistake in buying a car, how come you're willing to fork out such major expense without even testing it first? Even buying something much cheaper like TV, audio system, or mobile phones people always test first. Driving one and sitting as a passenger in one is not the same since you wouldn't exactly know how hard/deep your uncle pressed the gas that time. :) Yes, you better ask to test his car then.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Really :banghead: Is like an arrange marriage...:banghead: Dunno the girl but got arranged to marry her.

1st time come across no test drive, straight buy.

But then, I think you should let it reach the 1000km mileage 1st and see how it goes, since is still new. Unless you are comparing the low end with other cars that you have drove. Best test drive other Honda Citys and see if it feels the same, if not then get it check like recommended by others here.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

:confused:waja engine change mivec engine 1.6 tiptronic.. i fill up rm30 i can get 120km odo so any can help
solve this problem>????
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience