How to improve braking performance part #3

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Apologies for the delay, I haven't had the time to retake the photos so I'll be using some older photos that don't belong to me as reference.
In this final chapter of 'improving brake performance', we'll talk about brake bleeding, brake pad embedding/running in and types of brake oils.

Brake pad embedding

Most manufacturers manufacture their brake pads with an outer later that require wearing off before the actual performance of the brake can be realised. There's a good reason for this -

Most brake pad manufacturers use metallic substances in their formula and metal is prone to oxidation and corrosion. Brake pads have to be able to stay in the store for weeks/months without losing their braking properties. Hence the advice from mechanics to "take it easy" right after new pads are installed, mainly because the brake pads won't perform at their peak until the protective layer is worn off.

Having said that however, there are brake pads out there that don't require running in such as the EBC Ultimax performance pads. You can plonk these babies in and go jam your brakes without worrying about brake pad failure. But for the rest, take it easy and run in the pads according to the manufacturer specs.

The Ferodo Zero manual states to drive for 200m while lightly depressing the brakes and not to travel more than 80km/h. This process is to continue on for about 2km before the brake pads are really worn in.

The Bosch pads similarly require a slow and steady run in process before they bite. Some brands however work best right after you smoke them! So basically just refer to the manufacturers recommendation before you go all out with the new pads.

The other reason why you'd want to embed the pads is because the surface contact area on the brake rotor and the pad is not in synch yet. The rotor is not completely flat probably because of wear from the previous pads or skimming. The pads weren't manufactured with 99% tolerance so they probably aren't completely flat too. Ideally you'd want to get the brake pads to sit flatly on the rotor so you get maximum surface area contact between the pad and rotor for optimum braking efficiency.

Again, this process is a take-it-easy process. Don't rush it and let the pads mould itself into the shape of the rotor. This embedding usually takes about a week of slow driving and gradual braking. It helps if your rotor is slotted as that'll skim the brake pads surface faster.

Basically moral of the story is : Once the new pads are in, take it easy.

Important Note : Once you've replaced your pads or taken out the pads for whatever reason, always remember to pump your brakes a bit after you start your car. You need to get that firm brake pedal feel before you shift your car in gear!

Brake bleeding

Why do you need to bleed your brakes? Whenever you stamp on your brake pedals, it triggers a hydraulic pump that will force brake fluid into your calipers to clamp onto the brake pads. If there is air in the system, the pump will need to compress the air as well which will result in the spongy feel in your pedal. So we'd want to get rid of all that air where possible, hence brake bleeding.

First identify the bleed nipple (shown in the picture above). Note that these bleed nipples are very soft so do not use brute force to tighten or loosen it. You'll run the chance of ruining the thread.

You'll need :
1. 2 people to work this
2. Jack and jackstand
3. Aquarium air tubes and a bottle
4. Closed end spanner to open and close the bleed nipple
5. New brake oil for topping up.

Use a close ended spanner and fit it around the bleed nipple and connect the hose to the nipple mouth. Open the brake reservoir and start your car. Have a friend pump the brakes (while sitting in the car) for about 5 to 6 times and keep the foot depressed on the pedal. Note - do not use brute force to press! Use normal pressure to press the pedal. Then open the bleed nipple to release the brake fluid and pressure, then tighten it again. Pump, release, tighten, pump, release, tighten, etc until the fluid that's coming out is bubble free - you should be able to see this in the tube. If you're flushing your brake oil, repeat the pump, release, tighten process until the fluid that comes out is clear and not discoloured.

Remember to keep topping up your brake fluid at the reservoir. Don't let it dry up otherwise you'll introduce air in and that defeats the purpose of the brake bleed.

Repeat all 4 wheels and you can keep doing this until you're satisfied that there are no more air bubbles or until your brake fluid is clear and clean. Tighten the bleed nipples (but not overly tight! You should be able to feel how tight it needs to be). Reinstall your rims and you're done!

Types of brake fluids

I've been reading a lot of chatter about the type of DOT oil you can use in your car. As a general rule I advise folks to stick back to the manufacturers guidelines. If it says to use DOT3, then stick with DOT3. DOT5 then use only DOT5. But for the more adventurous few and for those who have the know-how, you can use other types of brake oils in your car for better performance.

Generally nowadays in the market there are 4 types of brake oils : DOT3, DOT4, DOT5 and DOT5.1

The only brake oil you need be cautious about is DOT5 since that is the only silicone based oil and is not compatible with the other 3. The other 3 are glycol based so use whichever type of oil your car manufacturer advises! (Silicone based or Glycol based).

DOT3, 4 and 5.1 are backward compatible. But if your car specifies DOT5.1, use only 5.1. If it says to use DOT4, then use only DOT4 or 5.1. If it says DOT3, then any of the 3 is fine.

If it says DOT5, use only DOT5.

I personally use DOT5.1 for all my cars even though the manual recommends only DOT3/4. Why do I use 5.1? Because of the boiling point. DOT5.1 has the highest boiling point amongst all the brake oils. Why is this important? If you exceed the boiling point for the oil (which happens when you agressively use the brakes) it vaporizes and that's bad in terms of transferring the hydraulic pressure to the calipers.

(Taken off Wikipedia)

Wet boiling point defined as 3.7% water by volume. (In this case water means the fluid is contaminated and probably should be changed.)

So when choosing your brake fluids, choose wisely.

Happy DIY-ing!

Attachments

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Is there difference to do with car started and car not started?
You have to have the car started cuz the pump will be running with the engine on. If you do it without the engine on I suspect you risk spoiling the pump. Besides, you won't be able to feel that "tight" pedal feel

pdreams

Nov 6, 2009
Singapore
You have to have the car started cuz the pump will be running with the engine on. If you do it without the engine on I suspect you risk spoiling the pump. Besides, you won't be able to feel that "tight" pedal feel
What pump? You mean the vacuum booster? Never actually saw brake bleeding done w engine on, maybe w the help of the vacuum booster its easier. been doing it without the engine on for the longest time. Brake is good.

Chua Chin Lian

Jul 10, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hello there.. the best way to bleed brake system is not by 2 ppls.. pressing brake pedal and open bleed screw , u are killing the brake system.. booster wil damage earlier !

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
yes,normally that job needed 2 people to do,one on car sitting driver seat pump,press brake pedal continue pump and relaese and another people wil do that work under wheel,open that brake hole and askin his friend pump and close back when brake oil from dirty to new drain out from brake hole,can do on front 2 wheel or complete 4 wheel,depend how much brake oil you got.of coz,it do on during engine start up,it need operation the master pump too...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What pump? You mean the vacuum booster? Never actually saw brake bleeding done w engine on, maybe w the help of the vacuum booster its easier. been doing it without the engine on for the longest time. Brake is good.
Yeah thanks for that. Booster is the word I was looking for. Someone told me the seals inside might spoil faster without the engine on. I don't know exactly why. I'll do more research and get back to you on this, thanks for the feedback

hello there.. the best way to bleed brake system is not by 2 ppls.. pressing brake pedal and open bleed screw , u are killing the brake system.. booster wil damage earlier !
Why so?

fatlizard

Known Member
Nov 28, 2008
May i ask..During the bleading process..The cap at the brake fluid tank must be opened or closed..?

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Iszo, from what I've read, it was recommended to bleed from the wheel furthest from the brake pump first and nearest wheel last. Any ideas? I've been doing that all these while while bleeding my brakes. Also never knew that the car brakes needs to be bled with the engine on. Always did it with the engine off an no problems so far... Anyway good info here.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
May i ask..During the bleading process..The cap at the brake fluid tank must be opened or closed..?
Personally I'd recommend it open.

Hi Iszo, from what I've read, it was recommended to bleed from the wheel furthest from the brake pump first and nearest wheel last. Any ideas? I've been doing that all these while while bleeding my brakes. Also never knew that the car brakes needs to be bled with the engine on. Always did it with the engine off an no problems so far... Anyway good info here.
I dunno. I have my doubts now since there are a few folks here who said they did it fine with the engine off. I personally do it with the engine on and have in the past tested it with it off. The main difference for me is I can't get that firm pedal feel when I did it with the engine off. I'm not sure why.

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, want to ask something about brakes.

Sometimes my old Saga would stall for no reason while driving
and when it stalled, i lost the power brakes too since there is
no engine vacuum assisting the brake booster. The brake padel
will become hard and heavy.

Now my question is, if i step on it hard enuff, will i break anything?
Say i have really strong right leg. I could use the hand drum brake
for slowing the car down slowly till a halt but it would be too late
if in front of me got car.

Last edited:

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
walau...ur car can call as dangerous car in our road as brake system not working well can hur urself and other user.act fast,repair ASAP!
it may cause master pump got air inside,u need apply brake pedal few time before it work,or it may any front disc brake cyliner pump stuck/jam or rear drum brake pump jam...check it first,brake hole...and ur brake oil tank check oil is empty?if yes,hole is leak,air get in brake lining hole...hope can help u a bit from base my experinece

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Jimmy, my brake system is working perfectly well. What i was saying is that the
brakes are power brakes and need engine vacuum. If engine stalls while driving,
there goes yr power brakes, and if u happened to have power steering too,
that goes as well. Breaks pedal, steering, would be stiff and heavy by then.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Mike, if you're in a situation where you have to stand on your brakes - just do it. Better to repair the servo than a dented car. You will spoil the seals and possibly the connecting bits. But small price to pay compared to an frontal accident

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

dear zthorianss..

i hav a prob with my car..FYI, my car is b20 with type R ecu+vafc at 45% correction..my problem is..my O2 sensor (or exhaust sensor) maybe malfunctioned. My car gives engine sensor problem signal when i maintain certain speed.lets say i maintain 70km/hr at same gear..the signal will flash and my car will loss some power+jerking

i made a check with various w'shop..all request that the sensor must be replaced. i also sent my car to honda service centre and the mechanic...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience