How To Convert To Turbo??

cyt_

May 5, 2004
im a freshie in engine modification....wanted to know....whats the total cost to mod to a turbo engine....the process....do i need to retain the stock engine and just add those superchargers...and the transmission needed for a turbo...auto can arr???and oso can a turbo engine last as long as a stock one...with the same maintanence....lastly is how much to get a license so that it would be approved by JPJ???

jethrel

Known Member
May 18, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
So your current car is a Wira A/B 1.5 auto right?

If you want to add turbo to your current engine, what size turbo you want? What's your budget like? Perhaps you can get a reasonable journal turbo TD04. That would cost you no more than RM400. Unless you want an engine transplant, what engine do you want? VR4? 4g93t? 4g63t? If you want a engine transplant, this is my dua sen punya opinion - 4g93t. I like this 1.8 litre engine as it's quite powerful. You can even add more power with higher rev by putting forged pistons. I love forged pistons. :D Of course not forgetting the intercooler (another few hundred bucks for a vr4 intercooler) and other stuff perhaps.

You don't have to change to manual as you can still auto but of course not as nice as manual lar. :D

I hope when you say same maintenance is like taking care of a N/A engine and if that's the case, no. Having a turbo charged car you have to be extra sensitive; that is assuming you want to have your engine for long term and not changing turbo or engines every 6 months. :P Extra sensitive perhaps is mornings you have to wait for your car to heat up and not just simply bbbrrrrooommm! Checking engine oil and water often. You can ask the turbo sifus around here how to REALLY take care of turbo charged cars.

As for JPJ, 'wo pu che tau' *shrugs*.

Itab

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Serdang
Visit site
do u plan to do an engine conversion or just bolt on a turbo kit for your engine?
personally i would suggest tht u go for engine conversion la,factory turbo engines are more reliable,i think la,somemore the cost for you to bolt on a turbo n strengthen your engine's internals will cost just as much as doing an engine conversion.
just my 2 cents la :)

Hmark

Mar 27, 2004
The stock engine is not suitable for charging up, if you do, you should expect it will 'konk' out very soon :lol:

Think of getting a conversion would be the better deal for your money ! Because if you strengthen up the stock for charged use the cost would be SKY HIGH ! :blink:

As for turbo charge vehicle it does require more attention than a stock does.....

cyt_

May 5, 2004
wow...thanx much guys....that means .....a turbo car really need much attention lor.....what bout cars like lancer evo 6.5......also need so much attention arr??? coz planning to get a second hand one.....if turbocharging my old wira is so "mafan"...coz the maintanance of converted engine is so high....i`d rather get a second hand lancer so that more reliable....and not to mention about the cost...which would be almost the same....i think...izzit???

Itab

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Serdang
Visit site
in my opinion la,any turbocharged engine also need delicate care from the owner la,doesn't matter if it is evo 6.5 or impreza WRX,its still turbocharged mah....as i've mentioned b4,engines like 4g93T,4g63T etc are factory turbo engines so they are generally more reliable....
just my opinion la,cos nv driven any evo b4,can't say much,haih....where can afford wor?hahha....all i can afford to do is engine conversion...:)

Jul 12, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hi my friend i got saga y 1994 not like the taxi one the other one i dun know what the name.
i wanna make my car be fast so is there any pro who can help me should i do my engine turbo or what and what im looking for something cheap and good and how much can cost me and where i can do it hehehehhe cuz im student thanks

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
im a freshie in engine modification....wanted to know....whats the total cost to mod to a turbo engine....the process....do i need to retain the stock engine and just add those superchargers...and the transmission needed for a turbo...auto can arr???and oso can a turbo engine last as long as a stock one...with the same maintanence....lastly is how much to get a license so that it would be approved by JPJ???
hi sir, i'll try to answer few of ur questions as best as i can? for the total cost, please pm me for more details on dat..

1. u can retain the stock engine if u r planning to run low boost sir, just make sure dat the tuning is PERFECT. ive done few BOTs previously, and what i did was added a thicker gasket to lower down the probability of preignition and just in case the owner gatal2 tangan..

2. turbocharger isnt supercharger, just to clear u on dat

3. there isnt transmission dat is built for either turbocharged or normally aspirated (NA) engine, there are long ratios, short ratios, close ratios, etc. of course a transmission coming outta a charged engine is more robust, for it to be able to withstand the torque dat the engine is able to produce. if can, i wud suggest u to retain the auto transmission, but either upgrade ur current one or get a auto gearbox dat comes from a charged engine. ur current gearbox wont be able to get a grip when boost comes in, hence the suggestion above.

4. a charged engine can last as long as a std one, if tuning is done correctly. i highly suggest joshua thiran of millennium motorsports asia for this feat, he will be tuning on dyno dynamics, which imo is the best dyno dat can simulate road conditions so tuning on dat dyno produces THE SAME result with on-the-road tuning.

5. u dont need a license for charging ur engine up, dont worry too much about it

ae101rulez

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
erm...
hi my friend i got saga y 1994 not like the taxi one the other one i dun know what the name.
i wanna make my car be fast so is there any pro who can help me should i do my engine turbo or what and what im looking for something cheap and good and how much can cost me and where i can do it hehehehhe cuz im student thanks
hehe..sad to burst your bubble but when come to modification..there's not cheap and good..hehehe..how cheap is your cheap??that i must ask...i was a student too but wiv measly savings.really sad days:biggrin::biggrin:...hehehe..you can see those myvi bot also costing 7-8k..hehehe...if you can afford that range, then maybe you can go for it...hehe...there is the other way of trial and play..for saga, i seen it will reach the same price region also after all the conversion or maybe more..hehe..knowing that tuning is not cheap..esp if you playing wiv 4g13/15...tuning is required and thats where is cost alot..hehe..you can try asking those sunway shops how much for tuning...hehe..dun get shocked...hehehe

also forgotten, if you are running on stock internals, most you can boost is low boost...depends..unless you are really into modifying the internals, meaning crank change, piston change..hehe...but the money..hehehehe...

Last edited:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
How to suggest? No engine specification. No fuel management specification. Pls specify. But I've to agree with the previous reply. Nothing is cheap n best.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
nuthing cheap is the best, but not all expensive stuff is the best either, as weve found out. selection shud be on what he needs, and imo the std internals is good for a low boost application. it doesnt cost as much when i did any BOTs, 7k is just too expensive kot

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
nuthing cheap is the best, but not all expensive stuff is the best either, as weve found out. selection shud be on what he needs, and imo the std internals is good for a low boost application. it doesnt cost as much when i did any BOTs, 7k is just too expensive kot
BOT kaaa?

bosan la this teraboo thingy. always not enuff!
how much bhp is enuff bhp?
how much cash wud be enuff for 400bhp?
and would 400bhp be easily streetable (e.g in the real world, some 400bhp cars gets to be driven to the mall, bawa bini jumpa doc and so on)
how high is up? how low is low?
etc etc?

wey leo, since 2.0T sounds like kamikaze, how abt ditching the 4E & converting to 4AGE(20V) ada chun ka?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
hehe, 4e pun tak abis main ni.. plus, iam planning to maintain dat 4e for small cc use, and planning to get meself an evo for dat crazy powwahh..

err, y ler wanna get 400hp ni? 360hp pun dah takot woo, asal tarik jer feel like wanna pee woo

p/s : low boost is when d engine doesnt go kaboom!!! hehe

Jul 12, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
oh sorry my car saga 1.3 manual and i dun mean cheap what i mean something good and not very expansive so what im looking for how to make my car fast. what do u advice me guys ??

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

oh sorry my car saga 1.3 capreter and i dun mean cheap what i mean something good and not very expansive so what im looking for how to make my car fast. what do u advice me guys ??

ae101rulez

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
erm...
oh sorry my car saga 1.3 manual and i dun mean cheap what i mean something good and not very expansive so what im looking for how to make my car fast. what do u advice me guys ??

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

oh sorry my car saga 1.3 capreter and i dun mean cheap what i mean something good and not very expansive so what im looking for how to make my car fast. what do u advice me guys ??
ahah...you must specify your budget, either you want turbo or na upgrade...hehehe..how much you aiming from your 1.3 ?...hehe..can try to compare with 4e turbo...130hp:biggrin::biggrin:...hehehe

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It was only a matter of time before somebody threw McLaren’s benchmark-setting F1 against its ‘supposed’ spiritual successor, the MP4-12C. The apostrophes are present because even though this is McLaren’s first fully home-built sportscar since the F1, the boys from Woking themselves have made it crystal clear that the MP4-12C was never intended to be in the same class as the F1.

The F1 was in a league of...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience