high revving small engine question

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
sifu-sifus,

ive got a question long time wanna ask for review

i always rev my manual kelisa up to 4-6k rpm only then change gear for the fun of it, understanding the drawback, i prep my car with specs below hoping the car can tahan the harshness

for reference:
-stock engine
-torco 5w30 sr-1 engine oil with mpz friction reducer (fyi lots of moly n zinc protectant)
-redline mtl 70w80 with lubegard transmission protectant
- cooling system pretty much standard with benz long life coolant
-upper n lower front and rear bars with chassis and body frame foam

the engine will go full overhaul soon so judging from above spec, in future can my engine parts (piston ring, head gasket, bearings) and car body tahan the high rev most of the time for long period?say at least 4 5 years excellent health? i know 7 n above is asking too much already :biggrin:

if cannot im thinking of swapping more durable aftermarker parts for engine if they are available. head gasket, bearing or any parts got upgrade for kelisa?

old timer high revvers can enlighten me?? sorry for ignorance im a noob:biggrin:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
IMHO, daihatsu 660cc engines are the most durable.... you can search around in japan they rev their 660cc NA as high as 10k rpm in circuit racing... as per forced-induction, its redline no less than 7.5k rpm.... but not so for its bigger block i.e. 850/1000cc

I remember an ol pomen once said that daihatsu long-stroke always suffer at high rev.....

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
Get it properly balanced ... swap ur rods to starlet or toyota 1.6 rods ... do oil jek on ur block and also rods ... 9k rpm on ur kelisa no probs ... :)

put in oversized kelisa pistons ... pnp ... proper exhaust just to backup the xtra revs :)

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
sifu-sifus,

ive got a question long time wanna ask for review

i always rev my manual kelisa up to 4-6k rpm only then change gear for the fun of it, understanding the drawback, i prep my car with specs below hoping the car can tahan the harshness

for reference:
-stock engine
-torco 5w30 sr-1 engine oil with mpz friction reducer (fyi lots of moly n zinc protectant)
-redline mtl 70w80 with lubegard transmission protectant
- cooling system pretty much standard with benz long life coolant
-upper n lower front and rear bars with chassis and body frame foam

the engine will go full overhaul soon so judging from above spec, in future can my engine parts (piston ring, head gasket, bearings) and car body tahan the high rev most of the time for long period?say at least 4 5 years excellent health? i know 7 n above is asking too much already :biggrin:

if cannot im thinking of swapping more durable aftermarker parts for engine if they are available. head gasket, bearing or any parts got upgrade for kelisa?

old timer high revvers can enlighten me?? sorry for ignorance im a noob:biggrin:
Free flowing exhaust & intake! It'll do your car good :biggrin:

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
Get it properly balanced ... swap ur rods to starlet or toyota 1.6 rods ... do oil jek on ur block and also rods ... 9k rpm on ur kelisa no probs ... :)

put in oversized kelisa pistons ... pnp ... proper exhaust just to backup the xtra revs :)
get it balance..great idea:D may i ask why toyota 1.6 or starlet rod? what is oil jek? pnp and oversized piston probly dun need yet..im focusing on endurance for now not really extra power..dun hv that kind of money yet haha currently my bet on power is over the top fluids n im quite satisfied so far.

oil consume always due to worn seals right? piston ring and valve seal got tougher one ah? probly tougher head gasket also to minimize chance of overheat from blown gasket

ei nway thx for suggestions bro..forgot to say d:D

Free flowing exhaust & intake! It'll do your car good :biggrin:
checked! :D exhaust, intake, spark plug, electrical, adjustable,rims, bars.. practically those basic 101 ive got most of them sorted out d.exhaust can improve cos now only sflow and pipes got some small s-bending can probably straighten for even easier flow on high rev..correct me if im wrong

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
Toyota rods are cheap and they are way thicker than the stock kelisa rods ... might be best if u change to 850cc crank ... fits like a glove ... its more durable and has oil squirters if im not mistakan ...

piston u might need cause there is no point in high revving but no power ...

in the car scene ... the kelisa blocks are bored all the way till 76mm :D .. so boring 1mm isnt gonna give u any reliability issues :)

this pic below is oil jek aka oil squirters ... can be done at machine shop ... it squirts oil to your cilinder wall to backup the high revs ... my kelisa block laying around in the workshop has them ... cant remember cost :P

last but not least ... Racing Cams !!! :D billet or regrind ur choice ... depending on budget

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
thats very informative, thx bro! but will thicker rods make rpm feels heavier?

btw have u had experience with kelisa with the specs u mentioned above?sounds like u have :D can u let me know the workshop that can do? i probably can go there and get detailed advise on the crank,rods and oil squirter and also on the price

dennisdreams

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
for what i know 660 engine had a balancing shaft, which is pretty hard to get perfect balance. And from stock engine. they weren't properly balanced. If you get it right :D it can rev to 8k happily without stress~ ^^

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
thats very informative, thx bro! but will thicker rods make rpm feels heavier?

btw have u had experience with kelisa with the specs u mentioned above?sounds like u have :D can u let me know the workshop that can do? i probably can go there and get detailed advise on the crank,rods and oil squirter and also on the price

ur choice on the rods ... the starlet is just slightly bigger ... but since u want to rev that high ... why risk a thin rod ? well u can always lighten ur flywheel
.. thats the best :)

well i had experience with L2 with kelisa block ... turbo that is ... :)
my workshop is not presentable (bawah pokok cherry only) but we hold the record for the fastest kancil in malaysia .. possibly the whole world ... name is ANN Garage at Gombak ... :)

10.6 sec at MUSC ... :P 290HP ++ kancil :driver:

Last edited:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
get it balance..great idea:D may i ask why toyota 1.6 or starlet rod? what is oil jek? pnp and oversized piston probly dun need yet..im focusing on endurance for now not really extra power..dun hv that kind of money yet haha currently my bet on power is over the top fluids n im quite satisfied so far.

oil consume always due to worn seals right? piston ring and valve seal got tougher one ah? probly tougher head gasket also to minimize chance of overheat from blown gasket

ei nway thx for suggestions bro..forgot to say d:D

checked! :D exhaust, intake, spark plug, electrical, adjustable,rims, bars.. practically those basic 101 ive got most of them sorted out d.exhaust can improve cos now only sflow and pipes got some small s-bending can probably straighten for even easier flow on high rev..correct me if im wrong
Try to get your exhaust as straightflowing as possible, theres a reason why racecars dont use S-Flow mufflers :biggrin:

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
ur choice on the rods ... the starlet is just slightly bigger ... but since u want to rev that high ... why risk a thin rod ? well u can always lighten ur flywheel
.. thats the best :)

well i had experience with L2 with kelisa block ... turbo that is ... :)
my workshop is not presentable (bawah pokok cherry only) but we hold the record for the fastest kancil in malaysia .. possibly the whole world ... name is ANN Garage at Gombak ... :)

10.6 sec at MUSC ... :P 290HP ++ kancil :driver:
i plan to bore out to 74mm and fit in oversized piston. i wonder why ppl like to choose 4e over oversized kelisa 74mm? is 4e stronger? lighter? cheaper?

i know fitting bigger piston raises the compression, but i suppose using metal gasket might balance it to safe level.right? its not turbo anyway, correct me if im wrong :D

can u tell the difference between acl aluglide and oem bearing?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guy's,
how many of you here willing to spent for oversize with sleeves kit? Also to risk it? I happen to have extra engine kosong lying around and having a thought to "build" it. Im looking to oversize it from 79mm to 82mm with darton sleeves kit.

but i've reading that sleeves wasnt easy to install. It required very skillfull mech to do it. Else risk sleeves moves or so on. This question me is it wise to do so? Im going sleeves as i want total reliability. Not to mention gasket

thn...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience