Gasket material

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
I noticed that there wasn't a gasket when I removed the thermostat to flush the coolant. Is that normal?

Where can I get a replacement gasket or buy a roll of gasket material around Subang Jaya?

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
U can get it at most hardware stores or spare part shops

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Myvi original thermostat doesn't need a gasket. Why would you want to complicate it by adding one?

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Wow, that perfect ah? No gasket sealant also?
should have gasket at the thermosthat there one.
When put back housing, should be ok dy.

If still not confidence, then put the silicon gasket should be ok. ( not those hardware shop silicon ah:biggrin:)

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
Myvi original thermostat doesn't need a gasket. Why would you want to complicate it by adding one?
I'd better clarify that I'm talking about the gasket/silicone btwn the thermostat housing and the engine block not the o-ring gasket in the thermostat housing. I'm just going by common sense that there should be some sort of gasket material there.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Nope. The O-ring gasket does a very good job of sealing so unless that's worn out no need to for silicone gasket.

Trust me la. I have 2 myvis and both don't have gaskets. One's 7 years old and changed the thermostat already and the other is 4 years old still good as new and removed only to flush the coolant.

deroll

Feb 24, 2014
Selangor
You're right, there is a black gasket on the thermostat housing, after looking at your diy pics.
Odd that I missed that and I'll inspect it more carefully when I'm redoing the flush again because I think I didn't get enough of the rinse water out and lower hose felt too soft and discoloured.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

All,

Planning to get some stuff from overseas and I was stuck as they ask which engine I'm using now. When I told them I'm having a Mitsu E2, they are not sure and ask me whether it's a 6 bolts and 7 bolts engine...????

So my questions, what is 6 bolts and 7 bolts? Which engine is using 6 bolts and which is using 7 bolts?

vr4, e1, e2, e3 - 6 bolts???
e4 and above - 7 bolts????

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience