former HKS Japan tuner MR Ohura

Oct 6, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hey guys,

it's been a while since the last time i actually flipped through a hypertune mag and to my surprise, i came across an advert that we had a japanese tuner who is permanently in malaysia. i mean from what i remember, there used to be guest japanese tuners who would visit our country a couple of times a year. if im not mistaken, Quartermile had the tuner from Auto Select come down and another japanese tuner from SS Crazy was brought down by our fellow northern enthusiasts in Penang. i remember trying to gather as much feedback from guys who got their cars worked on by these japanese tuners and to be honest, feedback was very good. everyone seemed to be really pleased with the performance of their cars. and many commented that the japanese tuners were somehow just different. i didn't exactly understand what they said but their words just kinda gave me the impression that expectations were exceeded. however, i still had one concern, which was if there is an issue with your car, whether it be good or bad, the tuner would be unavailable to attend to it after time in malaysia is up. i mean another local tuner could look into the car, but who else would understand the car's performance more other than the original tuner himself. this was the main reason why i didn't proceed with getting my car tuned by the guest tuners from japan and true enough, i later on did see a couple of friends facing difficulty to further modify their car and also to solve car problems faced because the tuners were back in japan. they either had to wait for the return of the japan tuners or maybe have their settings changed.

so anyway, back to the present topic of having a permanent japanese tuner in kl, like i said, the advert in hypertune caught my attention and i rang the workshop up and inquired about their tuning packages. i then proceeded to making an appointment to bring my car there so that it can be viewed by the tuner which would tune the car on the same day for me if he finds nothing wrong with the car and it's in good condition and fit for tuning. well, my evo8 is pretty much stock at the engine and mods i have are air intake system and full exhaust system together with a HKS F-CON SZ computer. so the tuner, Mr Ohura is his name, gave me some explanations but to tell you the truth, he does have some trouble with english therefore communication breakdowns with him is to be expected. he however does have a mechanic with him most of the time to help translate his words. till now, i dos still ask myself how this mechanic understands him because it's not that he understands japanese. he seems like a regular guy just like me except that he can understand the english spoken by Mr Ohura.(scratch head) haha. anyway, just to finish this post off, Mr ohura took his time and spent a good full day on my car. i could see that he was very careful, professional and attended to every single detail. my car came out with 329hp on wheel. i dont know if that is a significant number but regardless, i must say i am very pleased with the car. power is good, and response is good as well. I think the charges charged by the workshop is very fair. oh i forgot to mention the workshop's name which is formula-d or formula-mb in ampang. if any employee of the workshop is by any chance reading this thread, i would like to use this chance to thank all you guys there.

so there you have it, my first encounter with a japanese tuner. i'm just a lil surprised i din't know of the existance of this place and the japan tuner earlier. i remember ppl used to make bookings weeks if not months ahead whenever there was a guest japan tuner. funny. maybe it's human nature to want what we cant get and when we have it right smack in the middle of our faces, we dont want it. haha. just kidding. anyways, if anyone is interested, you can probably see their page in hypertuneor call them directly for inquiries. here's the most i can do for u guys out there which is to provide their number 03-4297 4718/03-42974618.

hope you guys find my post informational and cheers to everybody.

ps: pls do not go under the impression that i am saying the japs are better than our local tuners. i am in no way implying that. :)

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
How about the shp facility? Can share more information with us?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
329hp@wheels is a VERY good number for a relatively stock Evo! It means your car can make as much as 410-430HP@engine! Are you sure the 329HP is on wheels? How much boost was it when dynoed?

maikitibikai

Oct 6, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hey guys,

sorry for only replying now. in reply to your queries:
i) regarding the environment and facility of the workshop, i'd say it's pretty good. it's very huge, machines are all pretty up to date, they have a Dynojet Dyno and sufficient number of staff working. it's kept pretty neat and tidy and they have an air conditioned room for customers to chill while waiting for their cars. when i was there i saw many japanese sports cars like R35, R34, fairlady, rx7 and supra. while waiting, one of the staff even tapau for me nasi goreng. kekeke. just go check it out. i mean there's nothing to lose.
ii) regarding my car, the hp is 329. didn't know that was exceptionally high though. did i get lucky? i don't know but according to the dyno, that's the figure. boost spikes to 1.5 bar then drops down to 1.4 bar.
hope my answers help you guys out. if you guys want a clearer picture, just pay them a visit. i'm pretty sure they'll entertain anyone and all questions can be answered.

cheers fella's.

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Bro can share what mod you have done? I don't think stock engine can tahan 1.5bar...he he...

Driftvader

Mar 18, 2005
My E7 high boost 1.6 bar low boost 1.4 bar so far no problem. My car only done stage 1 mod, air filter, exzos system and the unichip from ex-owner. The Fomula D work shop near my house, went there to get oil change. Good service and good place too.

Last edited:

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I didn't expect stock EVO can boost to 1.5bar....I think I got to change my mindset to EVO...impressive....