For the love of Skyline

Xackstah

Dear Fellas, Otais, Old Timers and Friends,

I'm deeply in love with skyline's sexy rear and its "come and get me"-like front... i've always dreamt of getting 1... but i haf no experience whuts so ever on buying a skyline... (obviously). So just for starters... i'm planning on getting my dream which is to own a GTR-34...

can u guys atleast guide on me purchasing my 1st GTR... i'd love it to be perfect... here's whut i do... n whut i take back from home from work...

Basic = RM6500
Monthly Allowance = RM2900

with this, would i even get to touch a gtr...?? n whut r the expenses that i need to fork out... b4 i got it on the road...? n r the ads from mudah.my = crap?? please help me... owh yah... i'm thinkin of letting go my ride now... but it's just a proton satria (MV 14k)... Please guys... let me split the winds with u guys....:driver:

Very good salary! But 1st 3 questions:

1. How secure is your job?
2. How much cash have you got?
3. What are your monthly outgoings like?

Need to consider as, R34 GTR is a 200k car, that is 10 years old, and will always tempt you to do expensive work on it. :driver:

Thanx gobiz... thank u sooo much for replying... i really appreciate it... hhmm... my replies are as below...

1. How secure is your job? - pretty much secured... currently in an oil n gas company...
2. How much cash have you got? - about 30k (current car MV = 14k)
3. What are your monthly outgoings like? - i just got a house installment 2k flat... (but will rent it out when completed...) and a 1k plus for credit cards n others...

yeah man... plus all i can c now are all v-spec and higher... are the ads in mudah for real bro??
please help me... n just hit me... if u think i should settle for a gtt... so be it... im open...

just need a high downpayment i guess...200k loan is hard for a 2nd hand car and its 8-10yr car (depending on the year)...180k is possible but pushing it. Goodluck !

No problems....

A couple of issues:
1. Your cash holdings are a bit low compared to salary. How long have you been working?

2. I wouldn't trust ads at all, you will need to read up and check yourself whether it's a true v-spec, v-spec 2 or even a gtr to start with.

Now I'm not R34 gtr owner or going to buy one even, but just some of my simple opinions:
1. Keep a close eye first on asking prices - keep in mind that these cars are heading over 10 years old, and are not too hard to import from Japan.

2. Compare with R33 prices, there's currently a huge gap that may or may not become much smaller as the cars get older.

3. Perhaps build up the cash reserves first, R34s in standard form are fast cars but the urge to build them up will be unbearable :biggrin:

Uhmm firstly i think you can't import r34s anymore as its over 5yrs rule (possible i think if you know car importers naza etc..of course theres a price to pay) ..secondly usually bank wont finance a car thats 10yrs old. Thats all i know :driver:

Uhmm firstly i think you can't import r34s anymore as its over 5yrs rule (possible i think if you know car importers naza etc..of course theres a price to pay) ..secondly usually bank wont finance a car thats 10yrs old. Thats all i know :driver:

5 year rule applies to trade AP.

For student/personal AP, is unlimited age....

For financing, of course 10 years old is the limit. Even then, it would be hard to secure.

However, there's some room to manouevre...market value manipulation, credit-worthiness, personal loan etc.

Banks can finance cars up to 15 years old if your credit ratings are good.

Flabby: Thank u so much for the reply... the 30K cash and 14K (current car value) is still not enough for a DP huh...? so i need to find summore..?

Gobiz:

A couple of issues:
1. Your cash holdings are a bit low compared to salary. How long have you been working? - that is just recently revised... b4 this i'm just saving up for the dp... but i'm still waitin for the increment this month... so i might haf sumthin a lil more to work with.. and the cash im holding now... that's after considering a lil bit more saving....

2. I wouldn't trust ads at all, you will need to read up and check yourself whether it's a true v-spec, v-spec 2 or even a gtr to start with. - so basically i need to go and see myself whut they're selling huh...?? anybody u know off which can be trusted...??

Now I'm not R34 gtr owner or going to buy one even, but just some of my simple opinions:
1. Keep a close eye first on asking prices - keep in mind that these cars are heading over 10 years old, and are not too hard to import from Japan. - u're saying... if it's being imported from japan the better it is...? and dun trust whutever's in the ads nowadayad??

2. Compare with R33 prices, there's currently a huge gap that may or may not become much smaller as the cars get older. - i haf a friend who drives a R33... but it's been brought back from japan when he was studying there... the condition is not bad... awesome power too... (even in stock)

3. Perhaps build up the cash reserves first, R34s in standard form are fast cars but the urge to build them up will be unbearable - how much cash reserves are we talkin about here?? to make it easy on the installments?? or maintanence??

Damn! I think I'm in the wrong industry. Salary + commission damn good lah!

My personal experience. RM30K deposit can only get GTT. If planning for GTR, save more! It cost double.

Damn! I think I'm in the wrong industry. Salary + commission damn good lah!

My personal experience. RM30K deposit can only get GTT. If planning for GTR, save more! It cost double.

is it...? it's only good for GTT huh...? so u're talkin about 60k++ for a gtr huh...? haiiyyaa... how to own a gtr leddet... nways... thank for replyin reintel... really appreciate it... so... should i just settle for a GTT fellas?

is it...? it's only good for GTT huh...? so u're talkin about 60k++ for a gtr huh...? haiiyyaa... how to own a gtr leddet... nways... thank for replyin reintel... really appreciate it... so... should i just settle for a GTT fellas?

Its all depends highly on u. Assuming u prefer to buy GTR. So u will hunt down for a good price GTR. Then, u in dilemma, Brand new Recon or 2nd hand unit? Next question is, how strong is ur credit worthiness? Can it be loan? Where could i do my loan? Is the deposit sufficient enough?

Assuming the deposit is sufficient and there is bank willing to give out loan of RM160K @ 6 years tenure but the interest is like sky high. assuming 5%. You probably looking at installment of RM2K+. Would the car be a daily horse? Then, u would start thinking, how bad would it guzzle the fuel? 400km abt RM120-150. Let say you are staying 30km from ur work. u will be travelling 300km for 5 days. Lets round up to 400km per week. That equivalent to RM600.00 a month. excluding holiday or TT session travelling.

Lets make some calculation

Installment RM 2000
Fuel RM 600
Service RM 400.00
Toll/ parking fee RM 250.00
Credit Card RM 1000.00
Flat Installment RM2000.00

Total = RM 6,250.00

Wat abt F&B cost? ****** cost? Entertainment? Parents pocket money? = Assuming RM1,500.00

Balance RM 1,650.00

I say you can still afford. But, knowing living in KL, this is not enough. I say, get bigger deposit and find dealer that can help get u the loan. But always, always put everything in writing whenever the dealer promise u anything. It will help u on the final negotiation. And remember, bank interest can be negotiated!

certainly not advisable to go for a GTR if ur earnings is as stated. further to that, ur savings currently aint that deep to cover in case of anything happens to the car...

bear in mind a GTR is a rare breed in Malaysia... and if there's anything happened to ur car, u need to pay a slight premium as compared to other rides here...

do the maths bro.... maybe u can opt for a GTT or R33...

Lets make some calculation

Installment RM 2000
Fuel RM 600
Service RM 400.00
Toll/ parking fee RM 250.00
Credit Card RM 1000.00
Flat Installment RM2000.00

Total = RM 6,250.00

Wat abt F&B cost? ****** cost? Entertainment? Parents pocket money? = Assuming RM1,500.00

Balance RM 1,650.00

Not to mention MODS ... :hmmmm: That's THE real backbreaker ... :mad:

Thanx guys.... appreciate the input... i'll try n look for a GTT instead... u guys really helped alot... will come back to u guys if i haf other things in doubt... split the wind fellas!!~~

Appreciate the calculation reintel...

One last situation... whats the best DP... basic salary... spare in account every month... for me to own a GTR.... roughly...? should i just wait till i saved more... or just get the GTT then upgrade to GTR..? whut would u guys do...?

we go for what we can afford. Needless to say it has to be financially comfortable for you to own a skyline. The last thing you want is to own a sport car but have a tight budget because of it. With your income, GTT seems like a comfortable choice. If you are ok with getting a GTT, buy one and drive it around for a few months, in the mean time, u can gather information from fellow skyliners, on what mods do you go for. We have quite a resourceful community and you would always be welcomed to ask valid questions. From my personal experience, it would be wise if you use the skyline as a weekend car and not as your workhorse, coz expenses might grow if you use a skyline as your daily drive. Take your time to enjoy the car, mod it slowly, enjoy the experience, performance and power that each mods might bring.

Better go for R33 GTR than R34 GTT. GTR is GTR cannot be compare with GTT

Xack, I think you are still young, and unmarried with no commitments.

So I think to be on the safe side, and also to really enjoy r34 gtr ownership... you will need cash reserves up to 50% of the car's value.

Last time I was also in your position, no commitments, I owned R33 gtr... my cash reserves was 33% of the car's value. I still think it was a bit tight, esp. after getting married.

For old man like me, married with kid, with asset commitments, I have allocated cash reserves of 200% from gtr value... but only R32 maaaa LOL :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom