FOG lights : keep standard or change it?

veezard

veezard

Dec 7, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, Fog lights issue, should I keep it or change it to DRL instead?
I don't really need a "fog light" cos I don't really travel up Genting or drive my car in the wee morning. But my frens advise me to keep it cos it helps brighten up the roads at night.
The problem is I don't find it helping in brightening up the roads. ( Btw my fogs are standard).
Really in a dilemma ! Should i just replace it with DRL ( looks good & helps out in visibility to others during day or night ) or just keep my fog (pretend it is being useful (maybe change the bulbs to led instead) but there again budget is also another issue.
Please advise. I know there are many ways at looking at things but just need more advise before I decide to select one.
Thanks - Cheers

g88

3,000 RPM

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
Hi, Fog lights issue, should I keep it or change it to DRL instead?
I don't really need a "fog light" cos I don't really travel up Genting or drive my car in the wee morning. But my frens advise me to keep it cos it helps brighten up the roads at night.
The problem is I don't find it helping in brightening up the roads. ( Btw my fogs are standard).
Really in a dilemma ! Should i just replace it with DRL ( looks good & helps out in visibility to others during day or night ) or just keep my fog (pretend it is being useful (maybe change the bulbs to led instead) but there again budget is also another issue.
Please advise. I know there are many ways at looking at things but just need more advise before I decide to select one.
Thanks - Cheers
what car are you driving and why not bright enough ? Are you using very dark tinting film ?

Fog light will be more useful. DRL is to be use during DAY time only...its start from europe where winter weather tent to be dark/cloudy during day time...

Alot ppl misunderstand the use of DRL...

veezard

veezard

Dec 7, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
what car are you driving and why not bright enough ? Are you using very dark tinting film ?

Fog light will be more useful. DRL is to be use during DAY time only...its start from europe where winter weather tent to be dark/cloudy during day time...

Alot ppl misunderstand the use of DRL...
Hi, Nope not having any tint on the windscreen, sides yes but not dark. Having a mazda 3 currently with no DRL. But my fog lights are not bright enough. Maybe i can keep it and change it to a LED that will be much brighter. Anyway I am still thinking about it. Thanks man.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Keep the fog lamps. Just add DRL, as it is quite slim in size and wont take up much space. They aren't noticeable until they are turned on.
DRL need not to be the specific DRL. By turning on the headlamps during day time is considered DRL.
The motobikes are doing so, and they are just fine.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Keep the fog lamps. Just add DRL, as it is quite slim in size and wont take up much space. They aren't noticeable until they are turned on.
DRL need not to be the specific DRL. By turning on the headlamps during day time is considered DRL.
The motobikes are doing so, and they are just fine.
Agree, just keep your fog lights. If need DRL just add those on.....:driver:

veezard

veezard

Dec 7, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Keeping the fogs, will find a place to add in the DRL, since I am keeping the FOGs. What alternative bulbs can I change?
Need to be bright as possible but not disturbing opposite driver. LED can be very expensive. Got a quote that Philips LED (H11) cost RM650
Man 650 for a plug n play bulb too much for me. Any cheaper recommendations.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Why not turn on headlamp as DRL? Saves you lots of RM.
Alternately, you can use your existing parking lamp for DRL. Change the bulb to higher wattage one, and it should be visible enough.

China made LED DRL can be attractive in term of its price, but you'll see the LED will die one by one, or lose its brightness over time.

In the end, you get what you pay for.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Out of curiosity are the lenses of your fogs and headlamp clear? Or scratched up / yellow?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
.......or the fog lamps are not pointing at the right direction, angle or height..........

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Keeping the fogs, will find a place to add in the DRL, since I am keeping the FOGs. What alternative bulbs can I change?
Need to be bright as possible but not disturbing opposite driver. LED can be very expensive. Got a quote that Philips LED (H11) cost RM650
Man 650 for a plug n play bulb too much for me. Any cheaper recommendations.
I would change the headlights to brighter bulbs as fog light suppose to be yellow for rainy weather, unless yours are spotlights.....

norick

Known Member

norick

Known Member
Mar 28, 2006
consider this win win solution…
just change ur fog lamp to HID Projector for Max visibility
but must pair with H3 projector Fog lamp with cut off beam pattern..
and the H3 projector Fog lamp it self come with a CCFL or even COB LED Ring as DRL..

So, u hv a well function fog lamp with DRL, and all in the same place
all can be done just below rm300..

or to cost down & avoid any argument with law authority u may just use halogen instead of HID..

veezard

veezard

Dec 7, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
consider this win win solution…
just change ur fog lamp to HID Projector for Max visibility
but must pair with H3 projector Fog lamp with cut off beam pattern..
and the H3 projector Fog lamp it self come with a CCFL or even COB LED Ring as DRL..

So, u hv a well function fog lamp with DRL, and all in the same place
all can be done just below rm300..

or to cost down & avoid any argument with law authority u may just use halogen instead of HID..
All done in RM300 or below, WoW!! interesting. Where can it be done? Any recommendation and any web site to browse? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Out of curiosity are the lenses of your fogs and headlamp clear? Or scratched up / yellow?
Nope, not scratched in anyway. Still very clear (glass) anyway I just got the car from Mazda ,3 weeks ago. Just that I am not happy with the brightness and maybe, maybe the height & angle is not properly set up. thanks.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Then try adjusting the height and angle first. Nowadays new cars head lights I am sure are quite bright....

norick

Known Member

norick

Known Member
Mar 28, 2006
i saw at few internet selling it.. local, ebay, taobao..
usually stock in local is price higher, try to get from China directly..

veezard

veezard

Dec 7, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
i saw at few internet selling it.. local, ebay, taobao..
usually stock in local is price higher, try to get from China directly..
Seen a few in the websites but the problem is if it is credible (none of my frens used it before,so no feedback) secondly China products (doesn't last-led feed back was the little bulbs fails after a short period of time). That 's why I uses this forum check see any good recommendation and some actual feed back after use...hehehe. :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It's hard to believe that it's already been a year since Lotus Racing was first put together by Dato' Sri Tony Fernandes, boss of Air Asia and successful Malaysian entrepreneur. There were many who doubted the viability of the project and there were others who went on to challenge Tony to dress as a stewardess and serve onboard the winners plane, should his team fare lesser than the other. Well Tony's...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience