First Impression: 2011 VW EOS - Almost a convertible Golf GTI

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

The 2011 EOS can be thought of as an early preview version of where future VW convertibles are heading. Namely, the 2012 Golf Cabriolet. This 2011 sequel to the, almost 5-year old EOS may be a facelift, but it's got a new GTI DNA, stronger and most of all, looks pretty good.

New EOS vs Old EOS

• 10bhp extra making 210bhp
  • Improved styling
  • Shift paddles
  • Golf steering, shift lever, console.
  • Handles almost like a Golf now
  • 8% more fuel efficient
  • Auto Heater Control

The Decepticon Stare

The funny chrome face, soft and feminine look has been replaced with a harder looking front and sexier profile all round. It seems manlier, it looks like it was intended to be the EOS GTI and you have to agree VW's new headlights and taillights is their best new design feature this year.

Signature turbo 2L super-efficient engines from VW is ever refined, receiving technical changes from time to time, and their latest 210bhp 2.0 TSI powering the superformance Golf VI GTI is the identical unit found in the new EOS. Expect the same hot hatch performance but in a topless fashion.

Like all VW's, there's nothing to see under the bonnet.

The 6-speed DSG, the only option you'll find in the EOS is the only option you'll need. Quick shifts and silky transitions from gear to gear, up or down makes the DSG a real joy to drive, with a side of adrenaline inducing shift-pop boom escaping the exhaust. DSG's quick, fool-proof yet precise shifts turns ordinary manual-illiterate drivers into Senna. More tempting for the geeks out there is an 8% decrease in fuel consumption.

EOS and its pumped up sibling, built by the guys behind this Golf VI

Although the EOS is much like a Golf with a mechanical roof, it isn't the same agile, super rapid hatch that is the GTI. It hasn't got the sporty suspension, it doesn't have the EDC (Electronic Damping Control) nor the Electronic LSD. But then again the EOS doesn't need them.

Transformer

Its focused, dual purposed nature allows it to transform from a coupe that is comfortable yet subtly firm and in seconds, into wind-in-hair, pick-up-chicks convertible mode. Switchable anytime, anywhere.

Cruising is its thing

Another convertible inherent problem is body flex, which the EOS kind of suffer from. Surprising, as it seem like a stout, solidly structured Autobot, but taking into account the 170kg extra worth of mechanical roof and chassis braces it's a worthwhile tradeoff. Still, the EOS is honestly no boat when it comes to handling.

Not a Golf Cabriolet but it is

Weight in the rear and a slight flex when the top is down may be apparent and reminds you from time to time, that it's not the hot hatch you're familiar with. But if you coax it in, squeeze it out, it'll still perform, in fact much better than many coupes out there. It'll still give the GTI a good run for its money up the Genting hills whilst in hairstylist mode. A vast improvement from the previous EOS.

Dreamland for wannabe millionaires and wannabe carving corners

Top down, is what the EOS is best at, yet it is also a great cruiser, like an entry level Merc SL, it is a beginner's convertible if you will. One with a convertible experience that wont give you that bitter after taste. If you're semi thinking of an affordable, purposeful yet fun convertible, this is for you. The mechanical roof is an orchestra of moving parts, each with a purpose, that folds, extends, lifts and slides much like Optimus Prime doing its thing.

Convertible GTi

Although the robotic hero does it in an impossible blink of an eye, the EOS morphs in slow-mo 25 seconds but is just as awe aspiring just to watch, every time. Unlike the Autobot, you can't transform on the move. Not even at an idling crawl. Which is a shame as it can come in handy in many situations. Some cars can already do that, so why haven't the EOS?

As the sexy white top disappears behind her bottom, i was warmly greeted by her luscious red...

Inside, the EOS we drove had luxurious deep red leather interior and is seam stitched all round. Really love red interiors i must admit. The leathers are Nappa and is a convertible car friendly "Cool Leather" that repels UV and keep the cockpit cool under the sun. Not like we're going to need it in this part of the world, where the sun continues to cook up till 6pm and convertibles roam at dusk.

Golf owners would drool at the new screen and navigation console. The EOS also has Golf Steering and Shift lever and it even features the paddle shifters now. A list of trick bits the old EOS was deprived of.

Unchanged weird aircon vents on New EOS like Will.I.Am's Ray-Ban styled shutter shades

But the greatest cockpit feature is in fact the heated seats. Almost useless in regular cars, It is perhaps the most crucial feature in the EOS especially when opt to go topless at night, even more so up in the chilly hills of Genting. It comes on automatically too, like its wired to the mechanical roof. Seasoned convertible drivers and bikers would give a firm nod. It does get really cold at night when on the move.

The EOS does that to you when you get in the back. As demonstrated by CJ

So climate control is where the chill is kept in check. Temp sensors activate when top folds and blower automatically decides how warm the air should be blasting at you which is also wired to the heated seats. Very nice. No more goosebumps or white knuckles.

Like a scene from Avatar

The EOS is not the sexiest convertible but it is the most practical. It's hard to think of an alternative at the price range of RM259K that does everything it's designed for, this well. With VW genes of practically and reliability, it is difficult not to be tempted by the EOS' credentials.

New VW showroom along Jalan iPoh KL selling the wrong car

How we know, what we know about the New EOS? read our review about the old EOS here

Available in chocolate and strawberry too, collect them all!

We like:

• GTI Power and DSG
  • Mechanical roof + sliding glass roof
  • Good handling
  • VW reliability
  • New Bi-Xenon headlights and LED tailights
  • Ride quality
  • New LED Media player + Navi

We hate:

• The wheels
  • Body flex
  • Convertible switch confusing
  • Stationary transform only
  • Bootlid made for Schwarzenegger
  • Uninspiring Dash
  • No Direct iPod / iPhone connection

Facts

• Zerotohundred: 7.8 Seconds
  • Top Speed: 236km/h
  • Engine: 2litre Turbo TSI
  • Power: 210bhp
  • Torque 280nm
  • Weight: 1586kg
  • Fuel: 7.5L / 100km RON95
  • Wheels: 18x8
  • Tyres 235/50/18
  • Price: RM269K

Attachments

lexus_6666

500 RPM
Aug 26, 2007
I admire this car compare 2 3 séries convertible.
:-)

wsukun

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2008
London Calling
hands down..
this is actually good, writing car reviews and stuff...
thanks for sharing! love the nightshots most of all

talking about nightshots, i havent done them for awhile now

magoo24

Oct 16, 2008
308 cc is much cheaper,better looking and just as practical as this EOS.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
magoo, thanks for the comment, you could be right about the 308cc in terms of price. I missed out on the Peugeot when writing this. I haven't driven the cc yet, but having driven some similar french hatches, i have to say that they lack that certain soul found in their German counterparts. It's more of the little things though, like its seating position just never feels right, pedals lack feel and the car sort of disintegrates in no time. For many, i can understand these things are never a problem, so it's subjective in a way.

here are some pics of the sexy 308cc

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
midship: since you're Nissan's biggest fan, can we suggest a 370Z cab feature to compliment the coupe?

spyderslr

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2004
Hmmm, actually its not a GTI steering. GTI steerings are flat-bottomed and has perforated leather on the top part. The EOS' steering is the same as the Golf 1.4 TSI.

FYI, the OLD face EOS has 2 engines. 1st batch uses the GTI Mk5's TFSI engine, 2nd batch are already running the EA888 TSI Mk6 GTI engines and even interior update. Basically 2nd batch's interior are 90% similar to this NEW face EOS. Only the gearknob and head unit are different. :)

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
1.6 turbo on a 308CC compare to a 2.0 turbo...there's no replacement for displacement...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

can this type of conversion still be done? considering current times...when everything is so strict?

very curious..cos i asked one jpj officer and the answer i got is...i dunno.

so wanna ask all the transplant sifus out there who juz did the above said transplant...

for eg : merc benz 190e put in a rb25 engine?

bmw e30 put a 1jz 2500 cc?

can this still be done? are the rules stickfast? or is there any runners out there still can kao tim?

can we use the reason that the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience