Firewall crack due to hard clutch

Penghanyut

Known Member
Jul 19, 2005
KL
Hello guys,
I need help from you guys using hard racing clutch on your Proton rides.
I'm using a Wira 1.6A body currently running on 880pounds Ralliart clutch and using GSR clutch pedal.
The problem is my firewall cracked due to the clutch is too hard.
Cracks started from the 2 diagonal holes to mount the pedal.
Previously added a thicker plate (about 1.5mm) on the firewall and some additional bars to secure the pedal. It feels much better after that but it didnt last.
Firewall crack again and the bars broke at the welding point after about 3months.
Need info from you guys who managed to solve this issue.
Is there such a thing as clutch stopper for proton?
The firewall is really thin...I doubt theres even 1mm.
Need urgent help here...car stranded before and had to call a tow truck the last time it broke.
Wouldnt want to experience that again.
Thanks in advance.

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
u using clutch pump or cable? how could the firewall crack.... why not weld a larger piece of metal sheet to distribute the force at the firewall..?

GoldenHawk

500 RPM
Aug 6, 2004
Find a torque damper. You might not find a ready made one, so you might have to source for the damper alone & custom make the brackets. Shouldn't be a problem if you know any fabricators or machine shops.
Good luck :smile:

Penghanyut

Known Member
Jul 19, 2005
KL
renxun,
I'm on clutch pump.
Good question, how can the firewall crack?
Ask Proton.
I've inspected the firewall thickness and its less than 1mm.
Gosh, Proton really made the car out of Milo tin.
There isn't any space to weld a plate bro.
On the left side is already the brake master pump.
On the right isnt much space.

GoldenHawk,
Whats a torque damper?
Where do you place it?
Any pics? Totally no idea about it.

Need more info guys. Please help. :(

NRC

Known Member
Aug 31, 2007
I'm having similar problem. Gosh ~ Proton's quality quite bad.

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
can u consider removing everything frm inside and weld them inside instead?

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
Hello guys,
I need help from you guys using hard racing clutch on your Proton rides.
I'm using a Wira 1.6A body currently running on 880pounds Ralliart clutch and using GSR clutch pedal.
The problem is my firewall cracked due to the clutch is too hard.
Cracks started from the 2 diagonal holes to mount the pedal.
Previously added a thicker plate (about 1.5mm) on the firewall and some additional bars to secure the pedal. It feels much better after that but it didnt last.
Firewall crack again and the bars broke at the welding point after about 3months.
Need info from you guys who managed to solve this issue.
Is there such a thing as clutch stopper for proton?
The firewall is really thin...I doubt theres even 1mm.
Need urgent help here...car stranded before and had to call a tow truck the last time it broke.
Wouldnt want to experience that again.
Thanks in advance.
since it is from an auto body, did u installed a manual clutch bracket (it prevent / reduce movement of the clutch pedal assy when u depress the clutch) when u convert to manual?? if u didnt, then that is why ur firewall cracked, welding a metal plate alone wont help if u dont have the bracket.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
since it is from an auto body, did u installed a manual clutch bracket (it prevent / reduce movement of the clutch pedal assy when u depress the clutch) when u convert to manual?? if u didnt, then that is why ur firewall cracked, welding a metal plate alone wont help if u dont have the bracket.
Continue...

Take a look at the clutch pedal, there should be mount. 2 at the firewall and 1 at the top. the one that in most important is the top one. That's the screw that will counter the force exerted from your feet. However, for auto body, there is no way to mount that screw because the bracket that holds the aircond center blower does not have the screw to mount the bracket.

So, find the bracket from halfcut leftover body. Or, I think hdt motorsport at shah alam selling it.

Last edited:

NFS

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Hi There ... I've used a wira(A) converted to GSR manual before ...

didn't find any bracket and yes am using the 3 puck exedy ... heavy as hell and yes mine happen same as yours ...

what i did was just weld a thicker plate to the firewall and it lasted untill now :)

no complaint from new owner which is one of my close fren :P

Penghanyut

Known Member
Jul 19, 2005
KL
Thank you guys for your prompt replies.

Ok I'll make things clearer. Before this, the whole clutch assembly is only supported by the 2 screws to the firewall. Was using stock clutch (very light pressure) hence the body did not crack YET.
Upon changing to racing clutch, still have not added any additional support (yea bad mistake).
4months ago, the firewall gave way. So I add another 1.5mm metal plate on top of the firewall (about 70mmx70mm size). Did not weld the plate to the firewall. Just place it on top of the 2 holes. Only weld back the torn part of the firewall. Additional bar to hold the 3rd screw has been made.
Few days ago, the custom made bar broke and 2 days later the firewall gave way, again.
Upon inspection, the 3rd screw is tied to the custom made bar. Meaning, the pedal's assembly torn apart.
Right now just weld back and use for temporary.
Anyone having extra GSR/EVO clutch pedal do PM me your price.
Or is there any after market pedal + master pump which will lessen the force to the feet?

NFS,
Exedy clutch is around 660pounds if I'm not mistaken. It still broke my friend's Wira 1.5M firewall. Seriously the firewall is bloody thin.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Hi There ... I've used a wira(A) converted to GSR manual before ...

didn't find any bracket and yes am using the 3 puck exedy ... heavy as hell and yes mine happen same as yours ...

what i did was just weld a thicker plate to the firewall and it lasted untill now :)

no complaint from new owner which is one of my close fren :P
Well, take out the dashboard and u'll see bro...

Want to really see the difference, open up dashboard from both car auto manual. Then look properly. Well, i won;t condider it wastting time and effort because u'll learn something at the end of the day. Cheers...

And there are several ways of doing it. Some weld a flat bar from the clutch pedal assy and lock the other end of the flat bar to the steering mounting screw.

Some even use it on 2 nuts...

Thank you guys for your prompt replies.

Ok I'll make things clearer. Before this, the whole clutch assembly is only supported by the 2 screws to the firewall. Was using stock clutch (very light pressure) hence the body did not crack YET.
Upon changing to racing clutch, still have not added any additional support (yea bad mistake).
4months ago, the firewall gave way. So I add another 1.5mm metal plate on top of the firewall (about 70mmx70mm size). Did not weld the plate to the firewall. Just place it on top of the 2 holes. Only weld back the torn part of the firewall. Additional bar to hold the 3rd screw has been made.
Few days ago, the custom made bar broke and 2 days later the firewall gave way, again.
Upon inspection, the 3rd screw is tied to the custom made bar. Meaning, the pedal's assembly torn apart.
Right now just weld back and use for temporary.
Anyone having extra GSR/EVO clutch pedal do PM me your price.
Or is there any after market pedal + master pump which will lessen the force to the feet?

NFS,
Exedy clutch is around 660pounds if I'm not mistaken. It still broke my friend's Wira 1.5M firewall. Seriously the firewall is bloody thin.
Get an EVO pedal. It's a spring assist pedal. Will consume less effort on stepping the pedal. And try asking hdt motorsport for it. bring a drilling machine, take out the bracket urself from the leftover body of the halfcuts there. Just belanja TT at the shop near by, they should be fine for it...

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
seriously guys, if u dont mount it the way it is designed to be mounted.. dont blame the firewall for being thin la.. i've been using semi race clutch plate for more than a year oledi.. no problem so far.. Learn ur lesson and get that bracket mounted..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys......lost my car,Waja few hours ago.......last saw my car at 4am today.......if anyone happen to see it,please contact me at 019-3333183

Make:Proton Waja
Reg No:WNF 3013
Colour:Grey,Brownish

:mad::mad::mad:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience