Engine oil service

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think most oils now can last 10k km or more. In the US where they go by miles instead of kms, they go by 10k miles which is 16k kms! So now depends on driving style and traffic condition I suppose. If you like to drive hard with high revs then may need sooner, or if you very often stuck in heavy traffic. But for me I just use full synth oils and just go with 10k km to match the oil filter change interval, so no need to think too much.

I would suggest to just follow the recommended change interval for your car and use the recommended oil grade as well, then should be fine.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think most oils now can last 10k km or more. In the US where they go by miles instead of kms, they go by 10k miles which is 16k kms! So now depends on driving style and traffic condition I suppose. If you like to drive hard with high revs then may need sooner, or if you very often stuck in heavy traffic. But for me I just use full synth oils and just go with 10k km to match the oil filter change interval, so no need to think too much.

I would suggest to just follow the recommended change interval for your car and use the recommended oil grade as well, then should be fine.
But US have long life EO also. Those with extended mileage, because their cross country run is so much further than ours. Another issue is their expensive service charges. Here RM10 to change oil, there labor by hour....lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
But US have long life EO also. Those with extended mileage, because their cross country run is so much further than ours. Another issue is their expensive service charges. Here RM10 to change oil, there labor by hour....lol
Well US is just 1 example, in Europe also some manufacturers extends their service intervals beyond 10k kms. Anyway that proves the oils do indeed withstand up to that mileage. The oils that we're using here, so many are made or coming from US or Europe also. So if those oils are good enough to go such long distance there, then I think going 10k kms should not be much of an issue, but again like I said subject to how you drive and traffic and etc2.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Now maybe better as we have Euro 4 fuel now. Those days when we had Euro 2 fuel the oil from EU it seems not so compatible (according to some friends) as in EU using the cleaner Euro 5 fuel, now Euro 6 I think....

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
If you're a Proton CFE engine user like me, better change your oil less than 10k km to prolong your turbo unit lifespan, even if you use fully synthetic oil. I don't think other turbo engines are as sensitive as this Proton turbo engine. I change the oil every 7,500 or 8,000km.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If you're a Proton CFE engine user like me, better change your oil less than 10k km to prolong your turbo unit lifespan, even if you use fully synthetic oil. I don't think other turbo engines are as sensitive as this Proton turbo engine. I change the oil every 7,500 or 8,000km.
I agree to this. When I first started out in my VR, I use FS up to 10k km also. After 2 years use, got one time need to change top cover gasket so open up the internals quite dark unlike light brown color if oil were changed earlier. Now I change FS at 5k km but I do less mileage nowadays

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
Actually most modern engine oil from reputable oil manufacturer is good enough. If your car is experience unusual problem related to engine oil, maybe is time to look at other option or brand name which might suit you better.

Regard how to determine 5k or 10k, basically most synthetic based will last you above 10k and fully 20-25k but as i say the time between oil changes varies depending on the driver and driving conditions as well.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
After plunk in 93T in wira. Been using M7 engine oil fs.
Twice service d. I always follow 5k km.
This up coming Monday, going to service again.
I wanna try other brand. Any recommended?
MTF Gearbox oil too. How many bottle, brand?
Pls advice dear sifu's. Thanks in advanved.
Oil addictive, got avandtage?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
After plunk in 93T in wira. Been using M7 engine oil fs.
Twice service d. I always follow 5k km.
This up coming Monday, going to service again.
I wanna try other brand. Any recommended?
MTF Gearbox oil too. How many bottle, brand?
Pls advice dear sifu's. Thanks in advanved.
Oil addictive, got avandtage?
Just buy whatever on sale in Tesco/AEON la, good enough already and will save you a lot of money! For example last time they had Total 5w40 FS oil for only rm130-140/5ltr! Now Tesco has promo for Castrol 5w30 FS oil, only rm 135/4ltr. Other choice is the Mitsubishi Eneos oil sold in AEON Jusco, the 5w40 FS oil can get o at only rm99/4ltr. Surely you've paid a lot more on those M7 oils, right? Also 5k km seems way too short, but I don't know how much you stress your 4G93T so cannot really comment.

Gearbox oil can just get Eneos 75w90 at AEON I Utama, only rm25/ltr, just need 2 ltrs I think.

Oil additives are not necessary la, those are just like snake oil products to con you. If those additive are really as good as what they claim, why the big oil companies not use them in the first place or the car manufacturers don't recommend them too? Buying good reputable engine oil is fine already, they contain the necessary additives already so no need to waste more money. Many of those so called additional additives actually do more harm to your engines!

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Thanks bro. Later I go Tesco buy. Hahaha...serious.
Yup M7 oil, wahahaa..I agree
Oil addictive I also sceptical...
All my car I stick to 5k km. At most also 6-7k.I not flooring pedal type driver.
Better spare couple hundreds. I don like silly mistake breakdown.

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
All my car I stick to 5k km. At most also 6-7k.I not flooring pedal type driver.
To me when I was using the 4G93/67/63 engines, usually I change at 7.5k km and I use the HLA lifter sound as my warning to change oil. If the Lifter sound getting more rougher then I usually would change it, but they never got too rough/loud anyway so the 7.5k km is good enough. Some times I did extend up to 10k km but usually they would already sound louder. These engines need to take care a bit for the HLA lifter coz easy to clog them especially the older version lifters which had smaller oil holes. Maybe for you since it's turbocharged then need more care/frequent oil change too.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Oil additives are not necessary la, those are just like snake oil products to con you. If those additive are really as good as what they claim, why the big oil companies not use them in the first place or the car manufacturers don't recommend them too? Buying good reputable engine oil is fine already, they contain the necessary additives already so no need to waste more money. Many of those so called additional additives actually do more harm to your engines!

The engine oil that I am using actually recommends adding additive to it. Bardahl 5W-40 FS. I wonder is it really necessary?

Attachments

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I rather use cheaper oil but change more often, then use expensive oil and prolong the OCI.

Using turbo engine stick to 5k km is okay. I used to change at 10k km and found my engine internal quite dark, so now I change at 5k km already or 6 months since I run less mileage nowadays....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Any foreman here can advice me?

My spark plug lead has gone brittle and those rubber pieces are in my spark plug chambers.
Tried to take some out but I can't.

I am gonna change my valve cover gasket soon but i still can't access it.
Letting the rubber dropping inside the combustion chamber would be my last resort. :bawling...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience