Driven: Audi A1 S-line – same-same, but different.

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Few cars appeal to both men and women at the same time, and the Audi A1 S-line you see in these pictures is one example that breaks that convention. Most women like its cutesy appeal while most men will approve of its sculpted curves. In S-line trim, you get a more aggressive bodykit, a rear spoiler, as well as 17-inch alloys. The optional contrasting roofline is mandatory and helps to give the A1 the correct amount of zest. And whilst the rest of the world is only now beginning to introduce LED DRLs in their headlamp designs, Audi has moved the game on further with their new, signature, single strip DRL. Those DRLs, ladies and gentlemen, are the money-shot and I promise you will spend time just ogling at them.

But let’s quickly move on to the serious stuff. Technically, the A1 is based on the same chassis as a Volkswagen Polo and in S-line trim, has the 1.4 twin-charged heart of the Polo GTI except churning out a little extra power – a healthy 185bhp, although torque remains the same at 250Nm. These are healthy figures for a car that weighs a sliver under 1,200kg and when coupled with the 7-speed S-tronic (or DSG in VW speak), will catapult from Zerotohundred in a mere 6.9 seconds. There’s also a more basic variant of the A1 that is powered by a 1.4 single-turbo mill that churns out 122bhp/200Nm (RM180k/8.9 secs/203km/h).

As we’ve determined before, the 1.4 twincharged mill is an absolute gem of an engine. For a small capacity powerplant, it makes some decidedly enthusiastic, gruff noises. Indeed, sufficient to put a smile on my face each time I started the engine up. Its properly quick too – the supercharger kicks in at a low speeds between 1,500rpm – 2,400rpm, with the turbo taking over from 3,500rpm onwards. Electronic nannies include traction control and an electronic differential; the two working together to keep the A1’s inner hooligan at bay. Audi’s claims that the engine was designed for efficiency and not power, but we know better, and are not complaining.

Whilst you might think that the A1 S-line is just a Polo GTI wearing Audi design and four rings, you’d be wrong because that’s where the similarities end. No, the A1 doesn’t pretend to be practical; it isn’t – only two doors, and four usable seats behind them. Switchgear placement is intuitive, materials exude that premium feel with a good amount of standard equipment: a large 6.5 inch infotainment/navigation display, two SD card input slots, Bose surround system, leather wrapped steering with paddles tucked behind them. Oh, and plenty of cup-holders too.

The interior is honestly very well designed. The air-conditioning vents look super futuristic; almost as though it took cues from a turbine jet, and the speakers are housed in sporty looking honeycomb mesh grille. And even though the seats are a combination of fabric and leather, still look and feel great. Interior ambiance is also especially good, especially at night when the cabin lights up in a beautiful combination of red and white (where the women ooh and men aah).

Out on the roads, this car is quick; enough to match any other hot-hatch out there. There’s ready thrust across the entire rev range. Out on our favourite empty roads, we managed a top speed of 235km/h too. Respectable, especially considering there isn’t very much displacement in the first place. Especially impressive was how it awed the driver of a Stage 3 Mk5 Golf GTI who had to put in extra effort to keep up with this supermini. Handling was decent; steering was light, and although it lacked a little feel, was crisp and controlled. Chassis rigidity seems to have been improved a notch over the Polo GTI; made apparent by the car’s calm demeanor as I attacked my favourite corners.

The most important question then, is how the A1 S-line drives compared with the Polo GTI. There’s good news here because the two drive slightly different from each other. Whilst the Polo GTI is manic, the A1 S-line is much more refined; less raucous, but still bloody effective. In the Polo GTI, there’s a constant nagging feeling of wanting to prove yourself, but in the A1, there is no such need. Instead, you bask in the car’s refinement, knowing full well you’ll be able to keep up. Remember – the A1 was conceived to compete against rivals like the VW Golf and Mini Cooper, and in S-line trim, equals, if not trumping them both in the performance department. The fact that it runs perfectly fine on Ron95 and can return more kilometers per litre than both the Golf GTI and Cooper S is just an extra bonus.

Some months back, this car would not have made much sense to anyone, especially not when a car that shared the same platform cost RM80k less. However, with the massive price increase of the Polo GTI (~RM170k), the A1 S-line’s pricing doesn’t seem so ridiculous anymore; especially when you consider the substantial list of extras you’d get over the Polo. Exclusivity is almost certainly a point of consideration for the potential buyer, and with fewer than 60 units sold so far, will be guaranteed. Better equipped than the Polo GTI, cheaper and quicker than the Cooper S, and more economical than the Golf GTI. We’ll have ours in red, with the contrasting silver roof, please.

2012 Audi A1 S-line - YouTube

Audi A1 1.4 TFSI S-line
Zerotohundred: 6.9secs
Top Speed: 235km/h (tested)
Engine: 1.4L 4-cylinder twincharged
Power: 185PS / 6,200 rpm
Torque: 250Nm / 2,000 – 4,500 rpm
Weight: 1,190kg (kerb weight)
Fuel Economy: N/A
Wheels: 7.5J x 17
Tyres: 215/40 R17
Price: RM209,000 (OTR excluding road tax and insurance)

Attachments

Last edited:

satrianeo-x

Jul 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
"Few cars appeal to both men and women at the same time, and the Audi A1 S-line you see in these pictures is one example that breaks that convention."

U got that right. In this case, I beg to differ. Certain AUDI models only do appeal to a few. An acquired taste, if you will. One thing that bugs me about AUDI models; their design do not seem to stand the test of time. After a while, I personally find them out-of-date. Not so with certain european models from the same class, or dare I add, even some japanese models. Case in point, I still find the GOLF GTI MK5 appealing, after so many years. Not so with the AUDI from the same year and makes. It begins to look, for the lack of a better word, so 'uncle-ish' after a while.

Last edited:

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
In the past, that was true. Many of their cars tend to date very quickly. However, with the new design language, I do think that the designs will 'last' longer. The A5 is a good example: out since 2007, the pre and post facelift models both (still) look exceptionally good. Hopefully, this will be the case with their current crop of cars.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Agree with Won. I seem to see more futuristic look in Audi Models. Especially this Audi A1 S-Line really caught my attention..

Really loving it, simple and nice and yet is 2 door :top: Shape and design is good. Add up with some nice bodykits would spice up the
whole look. :top: :love:

I just love it. Would pick this over Polo Gti. :top: RM209K still reasonable for Audi brand yet with such performance package.

detomaso_runna

1,000 RPM
May 21, 2005
PeNAnG
www.friendster.com
i wont say audi is uncle-ish. come on. audi is a symbol of executive. far beyond VW. and to compare golf mk5 and audi a1 is a terrible mistake. why don u compare mk5 with audi tt? same engine what. but which one is more eye catching and chicks magnet???? u tell me. hahaha from the way ur saying satrianeo-x, ur comparing the old audi. not the new audi. audi technology being copied by lots of car manufacturer even by japanese. how come these car manufacturer wanna copy "uncle-ish" car??? and im using audi now. so does my uncle with their a6-a8. so far. audi stands higher than bmw and merc. peace. :)

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I wonder why ppl would copy audi's headlight LED strip design if it is uncle-ish...I just cant see any angle of it that shows that it is
uncle-ish...if Audi is uncle-ish, I bet BMW and Mercedes will deem as uncle-ish to u as well.

Still u have your own taste, can't say u r wrong either but just got to disagree :beer:

satrianeo-x

Jul 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Dear Supra-fanatics. I hear you! When the first AUDI, with it's daring design approach came out many many years ago http://76.my/Malaysia/[email protected] I was smitten. People were asking, is that an AUDI? It is simple, elegant, just right, for it's time that is. But yes, AUDI aced with it's LED-LIGHT design approach. So has BMW with it's ANGLE-EYES, if I am remember correctly. But given the choice between the same year and make between a BMW and AUDI, I would chose BMW. But, that's me.

For now, the AUDI I love the most would be http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CaoIcsWZxl0/TMIz-32D2eI/AAAAAAAAQs4/tbZRbK50JbQ/s1600/Audi_A5_Senner.JPG Why u ask? It has that aura of a gentlemen's racecar, much like that of an ASTON MARTIN... it's rear design. It is wonderful, elegant, understated... yet so powerful and re-assured, without being arrogant and in your face.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Dear Supra-fanatics. I hear you! When the first AUDI, with it's daring design approach came out many many years ago http://76.my/Malaysia/[email protected] I was smitten. People were asking, is that an AUDI? It is simple, elegant, just right, for it's time that is. But yes, AUDI aced with it's LED-LIGHT design approach. So has BMW with it's ANGLE-EYES, if I am remember correctly. But given the choice between the same year and make between a BMW and AUDI, I would chose BMW. But, that's me.

For now, the AUDI I love the most would be http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CaoIcsWZxl0/TMIz-32D2eI/AAAAAAAAQs4/tbZRbK50JbQ/s1600/Audi_A5_Senner.JPG Why u ask? It has that aura of a gentlemen's racecar, much like that of an ASTON MARTIN... it's rear design. It is wonderful, elegant, understated... yet so powerful and re-assured, without being arrogant and in your face.
Yes, which is why I can't say anyone is wrong with their own POV and taste in cars. Is very subjective. :top: Audi range, I have always love the one and only Audi R8. :biggrin:

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
further_seems_forever.blogspot.com
another Audi for the multitude of douche bags to choose from.

170k Polo GTi versus 210k Audi A1. 40k difference for what essentially is the same car.
I guess each of those 4 rings on the front grill cost RM10k each.

chuakz

Known Member
Aug 19, 2006
won....should consider testing some rarer cars like citroen ds4, alfa giulietta....would be interesting

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Volvo C30 is nice too :biggrin:

Slightly more HP than Polo GTi a little :) Still find the Audi A1 S-line nicer than Polo GTi with other better features inside as stated by
Won.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
sorry mate....i'll have to agree with most of u.....because i'm very uncle-ish only love the original Audi Quattro Coupe 84' :adore:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

help me on this subject...please!!!

im a student,dont have money to buy a new one batteries..(car batteries!!!):shocked:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience