Does remove Catalytic help increase speed?

clanbuster

Known Member
Jul 2, 2009
My friend told me remove Catalytic will gain 10hp.

when i go check with workshop, they said my car is CVT, remove Catalytic will made worst to
low end due to no back pressure.

Pls advise me
1) is remove Catalytic gain horsepower?
2) if Catalytic will made worst to low end but improve high end?

because i need to try to find way to improve low and mid end only

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
1. remove the car for sure (100%), you will gain torque and horsepower

2. the effect or cat removal is vary from car to car, overall torque and horsepower will increase but the moment will shift across the graph...

clanbuster

Known Member
Jul 2, 2009
1. remove the car for sure (100%), you will gain torque and horsepower

2. the effect or cat removal is vary from car to car, overall torque and horsepower will increase but the moment will shift across the graph...
1) i think question 1 should be confirm that it will increase HP.

2) my car is honda city, L15A Vtec with turbo 0.4 bar only. is it advise to remove Catalytic for improve 0-100km/h ( low end speed)
i can confirm high end will improve if remove Catalytic, what about low end?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
yes... some cars with variable transmission control does affected if u alter how the engine function... u loose back pressure after removing the catcon... hence, ur cvt system dont know when to upshift or downshift accordingly...

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
For newer engines it's advisable to keep everything stock.Millions spent on R&D no point for you to change here and there for minor gain of power.The thing is you gain somewhere you are bound to lose somewhere.Just like auto tranny when you take the cat out you will get more hp but your pick up will suffer just like what skywalker said not enough back pressure.You change to a oversize cat same thing will happen and most of the time fuel consumption suffers too.

angrysnail

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2009
Petaling Jaya
wordlinx.com
for a newer car remove cat also an be a problem..

since the ECU is getting smart,ur O2 sensor also very sensitive..

the ECU already set ur wideband sensor to fix the emission,to make it complete burning..

simple,ur upstream will calculate the oxygen left after combustion and downstream will check ur cat effect..

if u cat defect/not in order..ur downstream sense O2 higher and get to ECU theN ECU will send a signal to injector to inject more fuel to get a complete burning..

so u can feel power..sumtimes can cause engine warning lights on also..

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
manual remove CAT - yes, gain hp but takkan up to 10hp:rolleyes:...what car he drive? go exhaust shop n chop the CAT RM30 gain 10hp?

auto remove CAT - no,u lose the torque cuz not enough back pressure

yes, newer engines with cvvt,vvti,vvtl,dvvt, anything with "vvt" tak boleh

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
hey...mine honda city vtec too...care to share how much u bolt on? wat turbine u using?
have u dynoed ur ride?

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
however, the ecu isnt getting much smarter than we want them to be...

the best way is to put that beast on a dyno ... and re run after changes...

clanbuster

Known Member
Jul 2, 2009
hey...mine honda city vtec too...care to share how much u bolt on? wat turbine u using?
have u dynoed ur ride?

turbo set about RM $4500
AEM about $2600

one year ago. abit forgotten. What i know, after install, they test drive, i saw boost 1 bar. then they lower it to 0.4 bar, they dont want me to come back with spoilt engine or CVT.

what i heard, CVT cannot go Dyno, super dangerous, i dont know how true.

limfk7

Known Member
Feb 18, 2006
PENANG % KEDAH
plus caT remove is illegal to JPJ and plus your car cannot sell because no cat is illegal cannot pass in puspakom. Sure it got more hp and torque because less restriction but the power are more to high end speed.

Last edited:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
plus caT remove is illegal to JPJ and plus your car cannot sell because no cat is illegal cannot pass in puspakom. Sure it got more hp and torque because less restriction but the power are more to high end speed.
i didnt know dat now it is compulsory for all cars to have catcon in malaysia...

clanbuster

Known Member
Jul 2, 2009

ok. your answer is clear cut.
remove Cat for high speed.
So my conclusion is "I keep my Cat as usual" because i just need low and mid end improvement.
thank u.

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
if your car has not cat and jpj saman u or doesnt approve your car...

you must be the first in the news... 20+ years into this business and I never come across this...and I was hopping this day to become true... because the cats really help the environment

all car can go for dyno test.. the cvt driver maybe worry because in a dyno test, the pedal are floored ... so .. the cvt got some known issues regard the reliability .. and owners does worry ... but not to worry too much..is ok to whack it once a while.. hahaha:rofl:

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
did u know? CAT has white gold in them to neutralize the toxic gasses....
next time you de-CAT, make sure you keep it. if u wanna buy back its darn expensive

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi All...
Problem: Keyless Entry malfunction.
Brand: Toyota
Scenario:
1. Weak signal on remote due to battery (CR2032.3V) is low.
2. Manual entry by key & alarm is triggered & no signal of Engine Push Start.
3. Engine Push Start is functioning & engine can be started after a few time manual entry by key.
4. No signal Engine Push Start Start after battery replacement (but Engine can started via remote).

Your advise/help is highly appreciated.

Regards.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience