Do it yourself (DIY) Oil Catch Tank

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
How many times have you heard "Clean the throttle body" as the fix for your idling problems or performance issues?

Blow-by is leaked combustion gases coming from the the piston rings which escape into the engine cylinder head. This happens because piston rings do not create a perfect seal and the higher the RPM, the more the blow-by starts to create pressure in the crank. This pressure is released via the positive crankcase ventilation valve otherwise known as the PCV valve. Because manufactures have to keep environmental issues in mind, these gases can’t be vented to the atmosphere. So your average manufacturer will vent these gases back to the intake system to be re-circulated.

However blow-by gases contains a lot oil from the cylinder head and that tends to stick to the intake system, ie- your throttle body and intake manifold, clogging sensors, restricting or slowing airflow and just generally is a nuisance.

This is where the Oil Catch Tank is useful. Slot it between the PCV valve and the intake system and you have yourself quite literally an oil catch tank.

Now there is an easy and simple way of installing an oil catch tank. Read more about it by clicking here!

Attachments

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Great tutorial Izso, can I request for full on article on exhause selection and fitting?
What exactly do you want to know? How to choose the type of exhaust for what sort of car? I suppose I could do that but DIY-ing the install is impossible for me as I don't have a welding unit.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Thanks for the useful info...