DIY Weekend Racer

bigboystoys

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
Hi,

anybody interested in building a weekend racer car?
what i had in mind is a small single seater car, powered by a motorcycle engine
and built in-house entirely, minimal mods, minimal upgrades,
just a light-weight and compact car for your weekend cheap thrill (not exactly that cheap also la)

how? anyone interested??
i'm really very interested in building such a thing

in fact, if anyone has any WILDER ideas of what to build, just suggest them, it'll be really fun if we can compile all the ideas and see if it is feasible to do one

bigboystoys

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
modem killer,
but like they say... a picture is worth a thousand words...

bigboystoys

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
what was your project??

post some pic ??
these type of racers are damn fun to play...

bigboystoys

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
actually it's not really a big project...

let me get a bit into the details...
before we can start thinking bout building it, we'll need a few core things... namely the engine and wheels, after that we'll worry bout cutting and welding up the frame and drop in the engine, suspension, drivetrain, steering

i actually have some dimensions and calculations on my mind already on the wheelbase, tracks, suspension points and drivetrain ratios
what is my biggest headache is to put together all of it

with that, we need

1. a workshop (or just a big empty room will do)

2. some guys that are kind enough to let us use their welding, milling, lathe machines ( there will be a lot of custom machining to do)

3. a few resourceful guys to help source for cheap parts (kancil half-shafts, all types of bearings, some motorcycle parts like calipers/disc/sprockets)

4. guys that know where are the cheapest places to splining, heat-treating (optional)

i know it sound like a herculean task, but think about it, it's the only way and also the cheapest way to build something that ALL you ever wanted; it'll be light and very powerful, very nimble the closest you can get to driving a Formula BMW or Formula Asia or Formula Nippon (let's leave F1 out, it's way above everything else)

i can assure you, it'll do 0-100 in less than 4 secs, it'll outbrake any of our cars definitely outdrift any of our cars

fun ?? no ??

HidSeller

500 RPM
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by bigboystoys@Oct 9 2004, 17:40

2. some guys that are kind enough to let us use their welding, milling, lathe machines ( there will be a lot of custom machining to do)
An DIY chasis will kill u ....
Is not easy to make a chasis when u asking to build a car with 0-100 4sec performance ......
Chasis really make an important part for building a car .....
U should try on Go Cart then imagine how they build a cart chasis....

I like ur project but just beware, those are my exp ..
Good Luck bro .....

bigboystoys

Known Member
Sep 25, 2004
Originally posted by HidSeller+Oct 9 2004, 21:50 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HidSeller @ Oct 9 2004, 21:50 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigboystoys@Oct 9 2004, 17:40

An DIY chasis will kill u ....
Is not easy to make a chasis when u asking to build a car with 0-100 4sec performance ......
Chasis really make an important part for building a car .....
U should try on Go Cart then imagine how they build a cart chasis....

I like ur project but just beware, those are my exp ..
Good Luck bro ..... [/b][/quote]
hi bro,

thanks for your concern...

i know any DIY chassis is not easy and a lot of things can go wrong
what were your experiences ?? mind sharing and pass some pointers??

i've built a go-kart chassis already, and yes.. i'm guilty of leaving out the torsional rigidity a chassis required.. in fact the entire chassis was constructed a little different from the usual go-kart.. i'll try and find a photo of it and post it here (man you guys are gonna laugh your heads off .. :D )
anyway... everything is ready except for the engine, coz i couldnt find a small enough yet powerful engine (~125cc 2-stroke) ... the one that i have is a bit big in the width, so it's dangerously close to the driver... so we're still sourcing for an engine...

back to the main fun-car.. the chassis that i had in mind... is a steel truss structure.. and most likely.. i'll be doing a bit of FEA (if i'm going to build one monster.. i'd be god-damned to leave out the safety features) on the structure itself to check on the strength and stiffness .. and of course.. because of uncertainty here and there... i guess an "overspec" chassis probably is the way to go....

cheers bro.. :)

escaflowne

1,000 RPM
May 4, 2004
Visit site
yeah!!!! finally someone came out this idea..actually i thought of it b4 but din know got other ppl have this idea..coz many ppl i ask they said i "chi seen"

well...i try to sort of the equipment such as lathe,mig/tig welding tools...etc etc..
i might help out with my knowledge for calculating those stuff like construction of a framework all sort lah...at least i can apply wat i learn.

find a day we gather for a TT and discuss abit :lol:

HidSeller

500 RPM
Sep 30, 2004
U should try on something like Kawasaki KIPS engine with an 6 speed seq :P gear box, they are formally used by Malaysia Super Cart series ( fri n Sat everning training at BT3) ....

Those engine are powerful and low maintance ....

I have the same thinking like u, but .....
Before i try on TONY Cart Chasis(one of the most expensive Chasis) i own an Top(Arrow Australia) Cart chasis, i found those guy who purchased tony cart are stupid (different around 15k chasis only) .....
I always think my cart are one of those sport car on the road (exp: Posche) but after one experience on tony cart i found my cart
is just something like Proton on the road, really broke my dream of building own cart chasis ......

my conclusion on above exp are : both also cart both look similar for me but why that make so much different
(really have to test it if not u won't know the different) ......... R&D make the different .....
So base on our current experience and knowledge better don't aim to high, it might cost some thing we don't expect ......

So bro beware on ur Project and don't go too far first .....
Just my 2 cent, no offence and wish u all the best
Need something bright for ur Project ??? go for my HID kit ....
Great Job ....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

there are quite lots of confusions and questions before i take the words from vrturbo.... since into mod.. just do it... then i did it today:smokin:

View attachment 543682

BEFORE

View attachment 543683

AFTER

instead of some blink blink effect and more neat looking, what i feel is increase in engine response:driver:... at least i noticed that my boost kicks in earlier 300-500 rpm than previous plug cable set up... normal around 3500rpm 0.7bar full now around 3000-3200...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience