[DIY] Oil catch tank

nassershah

Oct 31, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
If the diagram is right, it's most likely the breather outlet, which circulates back into the manifold. So yes, the breather there should be correct.

Monitor your idling, but i'm not sure how the idling is affected with this sort of setup on a carbie. For EFI it'll have idling issues if incorrectly setup.
Hi again.., Is #2 is what you call breather..? There is another one.., it's from the carb but the hose is attached to a condenser and another hose to the other end of the condenser which laid loose down just like that without any attachment.
I now remembered.., b4 i came for help here, I did ask around few mechanics and 2 of them had instructed me to connect it to #1 and #2...and after doing that there were nothing came in thru' the OCT unit and I tot maybe they were wrong as my engine bay was filled wt engine oil. I did some searching and found out that maybe it's the distributor "O" ring is the culprit for splashing the engine oil under the distributor... and so I replaced it... And yes the "O" ring was harden d. With the setting instructed by you.. my dashboard shakes... unless if I tuned(I'm good with it..lol..!) it higher. anyway, is there any other suggestion..? or are you having doubt with the setting..? Me got no prob... No worries, I can keep on testing it for few more days while waiting for your confirmation. Thanks a million.

p/s: About the tuning..learned a lot thru' observations by mechanics after they put holes on my wallet..!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi again.., Is #2 is what you call breather..? There is another one.., it's from the carb but the hose is attached to a condenser and another hose to the other end of the condenser which laid loose down just like that without any attachment.
I now remembered.., b4 i came for help here, I did ask around few mechanics and 2 of them had instructed me to connect it to #1 and #2...and after doing that there were nothing came in thru' the OCT unit and I tot maybe they were wrong as my engine bay was filled wt engine oil. I did some searching and found out that maybe it's the distributor "O" ring is the culprit for splashing the engine oil under the distributor... and so I replaced it... And yes the "O" ring was harden d. With the setting instructed by you.. my dashboard shakes... unless if I tuned(I'm good with it..lol..!) it higher. anyway, is there any other suggestion..? or are you having doubt with the setting..? Me got no prob... No worries, I can keep on testing it for few more days while waiting for your confirmation. Thanks a million.

p/s: About the tuning..learned a lot thru' observations by mechanics after they put holes on my wallet..!
To be honest I'm not a carbie expert, but my understand of engines is the OCT is best placed at the PCV side. If your car is idling really harshly, suggest you try asking around. And when you said you need to adjust it higher, adjust what exactly? The ignition timing? If it's around 750 / 850 rpm at idle it's fine la. Is the idle stable? Or do you get a lot of stuttering?

nassershah

Oct 31, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
To be honest I'm not a carbie expert, but my understand of engines is the OCT is best placed at the PCV side. If your car is idling really harshly, suggest you try asking around. And when you said you need to adjust it higher, adjust what exactly? The ignition timing? If it's around 750 / 850 rpm at idle it's fine la. Is the idle stable? Or do you get a lot of stuttering?
Me no expert too.., but till now everything seems to be ok..! About the timing thing.., the car doesn't have a tacho gauge.. I did my timing by pulling out the two hoses from the condenser the one attached to the distributor.., adjust the distributor until the engine doesn't vibrates then tighten it.. then put back the to hoses... and if the idling is too high or to low, I'll adjust the screw (as big as 5sen) behind the carb..that's it. So the fact is.. I don't really know what's the rpm would be.. That is also, as to why i wanted to diy and do the rewiring of the 850 Meter Panel thru' direct wiring which means.., I'll get rid of the damaged circuit behind the Panel Meter.. and for that reason I need to get in hand of the schematic, as I saw there's some kinda Diode or maybe a bridge rectifier soldered onto the circuit...Anyway, If it's too hard to obtain the schematic.., then i have to opt for an external tacho meter.
As for now I think evthing is smooth and fine..no worries..it's just another gadget thingy..if worst comes to worst...I'll just get rid off it..ha..ha..
Thanking you for all the help and concern.

wafuk

May 6, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
nassershah, interesting, with the diagrams and all..good work..

u mentioned the dashboard shakes with the current setup, i.e #3 to line 1 and #4 to line 2, #1 plugged and #2 with mini filter... what if you connect back #1 to #2 with normal tube and maintain the OCT setup, will the dashboard shake? just give it a try to see...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I've been looking at your pictures, and looking at these diagrams:
Crankcase Ventilation Explained - N/A Edition

correct me if I am wrong.
The first set of pictures you installed an Oil Catch from valve cover to intake (before throttle body).
The second set of pictures you installed an Oil Catch from PCV valve to intake manifold.

Won't it be ideal to do both? Instead of one over the other (for a N/A car). Would be bad for a turbocharged car to do valve cover to intake without a 1 way check valve.

nassershah

Oct 31, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
nassershah, interesting, with the diagrams and all..good work..

u mentioned the dashboard shakes with the current setup, i.e #3 to line 1 and #4 to line 2, #1 plugged and #2 with mini filter... what if you connect back #1 to #2 with normal tube and maintain the OCT setup, will the dashboard shake? just give it a try to see...
Greetings to all Sirs..,
I did that b4 came for help here, I undo it back as I tot it was the setting that makes my engine bay spilled Eng Oil. Haven't try yet since replacing the new Distributor "O" ring.. I'll give it a shot 2morrow and will come back with the out come of it.
Thank you Sir.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

I've been looking at your pictures, and looking at these diagrams:
Crankcase Ventilation Explained - N/A Edition

correct me if I am wrong.
The first set of pictures you installed an Oil Catch from valve cover to intake (before throttle body).
The second set of pictures you installed an Oil Catch from PCV valve to intake manifold.

Won't it be ideal to do both? Instead of one over the other (for a N/A car). Would be bad for a turbocharged car to do valve cover to intake without a 1 way check valve.
My greets to you Sir,
The 1st pic was the original setup and the 2nd pic was as instructed/advice by Izso.
Regarding your suggestion..."Won't it be ideal to do both?" Could you kindly elaborate further please..
Does it means..I need another unit of the OCT..?

Regarding the terms.., Please correct me if I'm wrong.. The "L" shape on the Rocker Valve Cover is what I call PCV..lol.. and from the "L" thingy to the other end..usually would be the PCV Valve. Maybe I got confused wt the terms.. but I'm very sure my kancil doesn't have that PCV Valve with the Ball Bearing in it. What I did was..a straight forward connection on the same spot between #3 and #4 by cutting in the middle of the hose and attached it to the OCT line #1 and #2. I'd be glad and appreciate if you could correct me the exact term/s of it.. it was my mistake..sorry for the confusion..lol..as I'm no expert in automobile and most of the terms I picked ups while searching for the solution on the OCT.. and would be glad to have more suggestion from all the sifus here.
My thanks and appreciation to all of you guys for the efforts, advice and assistance.
Thank you.

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
sorry to confuse you, by pictures I was referring to izso's pictures. :) was hoping he can chime in. I'm not an expert in the issue.

nassershah

Oct 31, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
sorry to confuse you, by pictures I was referring to izso's pictures. :) was hoping he can chime in. I'm not an expert in the issue.
Ha..I did as you've asked me to try...Yes.., It did stopped the vibration as a matter of fact..the engine doesn't seem dragging anymore...but still not really sure..as I've just installed VS made in sendiri..plus all the Grounding Points about 6-7 of them..lol.. and yes, my AC feels cooler now. thinking of diy a bigger capacity but not really sure what's the whole value of the caps specks and arrangement... any idea Sir..? Anyway thanks for the tips and your prompt reply..gotta go..sending my kids tuition..! I'll come back later to check others reply.
Thank you Sir.

P/s: God..! I just saw the LINK on your post...THANK YOU VERY MUCH..I'll study all the diagrams..! I notice most of the Valve Cover had 2 outlet compared to mine..only 1. I guess I should try install the OCT in between of #1 and #3 according to my first diagram...What say you..? I shall try on the 2nd Diagram of your Link which is quite similar to mine... only problems is...Mine...there are lots of tubes with "T" connections b4 it goes to the throttle body...lol..It's really headache...
Thanks again Sir.

Last edited:

cheeft

1,000 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
hi Izso,

what about your OCT on a toyota 1JZ engine??? is this OCT applicable to turbo application as well???

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
hi Izso,

what about your OCT on a toyota 1JZ engine??? is this OCT applicable to turbo application as well???
Honestly speaking I wouldn't try using these small fuel filters for a large turbo engine like that. I'd use a proper OCT purely because the internal pressure of the engine would be fantastic so these small little fuel filter OCTs would probably break or something. Not sure but I wouldn't recommend it.

I could help direct you to put a proper OCT though.

cheeft

1,000 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
thanks for the reply Izso... i really like your OCT design as the filter is small and doesn't use up any extra space... didn't plan to fit one at first but after reading your diy post, it kind of change my mind... but frankly speaking, do you think is worth spending money on a dedicated OCT??

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
thanks for the reply Izso... i really like your OCT design as the filter is small and doesn't use up any extra space... didn't plan to fit one at first but after reading your diy post, it kind of change my mind... but frankly speaking, do you think is worth spending money on a dedicated OCT??
Well, hard to say. For my old 4G15 the recirculation back into the manifold is horrendous as it gets really clogged up really bad. The newer cars don't have it as bad for some reason. I'm not sure about your 1JZ but anything to keep the TB clean is always a good idea!

cheeft

1,000 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
but after i search online, it seems that most people don't fix their OCT to the throttle body side for 1JZ... instead they fix it near their turbo and the cam cover...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Wad is this engine in wira? according to owner he said its 1.6l but he didnt mention the engine model. Barely can see the emblem on engine stated DOHC 16v in the pic.. so i guess its 4g92.. but 4g92 gt carburetor version? Enlighten me pls. Owner is going to sell his car and im looking to buy it..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience