(DIY) OEM filter converted to OpenPod.

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Just to share with ZTH forumers what I did with my OEM filter. Reason for doing this is because i bought a redline drop in air filter a few months ago and it is still in good condition. As i didn't want to buy a new open pod filter YET so i did this.

As you can see, the OEM air box of my cps which used to be at the back of the engine has heen moved to the front left of the car.(bottom right of pic)

Basically the OEM piping is modified by cutting and combining them using some rubber piping and the steel ring thingy.... (bought 3 from a hardware store for rm5.50) Besides that some super glue were used to make sure the piping is air tight. Rubber piping was taken from my friend's accesory shop.

Only half of the OEM air box was used. The other half is useless. (u will understand if you have a proton gen 2, neo or waja) Open you airbox and you will realise the back half which is extremely big is totally useless. So the filter was glued to the box in the position you see above and held in place using the steel bracket you can see in the last picture.

All these work took about 3 hours...... because i was talking with my tauke/ friend that let me use his equipment. You don't really need much heavy machinery actually. Basically you need a saw to cut the plastic pipes, pen knive to cut the rubber stuff, screwdriver etc.

What i can say after the modification is that the car is 'breathing' much smoother than before. I can feel the air being sucked in at a much faster speed than before. And most importantly it is sucking cold air from the front end of the car. Anyhow it is much better than OEM design. All i can say is the OEM design is really lousy. The car also sounds more garang.(exhaust).

When i'm free I will cover the airbox and intake pipings with some heat insulator. Most probably some alluminum wrap.

TOTAL COST: rm25.50.

Rm5.50 for the steel ring thingy and rm20 i paid to my friend for leting me use his equipment and helping me out.

Hope you liked my little presentation. Cheers! :wavey:

Last edited:

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
nice bro...
wah fren also charge rm20 for his assistance & use his tools ah? buy teh tarik enuf lor :)
Actually he didn't want to charge me. But I malu mah.... ppl doing business. And since i used some materials from his shop so I gave him the 20 ringgit as ang pau. :biggrin:

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
Bro, since the new location of the filter is quite low, I believe it should get nice amount of fresh cool air during driving.

However, is it okay during the raining drive? Is it safe during the heavy-raining driving? I afraid if the water splash goes into the filter.

Nevertheless, creative idea and nice DIY you did there :adore:

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Drove that day during rain. No prob, unless really flood until the whole filter is submerged in water. Other than that, some rain drops shouldn't be any problem. The redline filter is washable, so when it's dirty just take it off, wash it then glue back again. After this filter is put to full use i will change change to a proper open pod filter. Thanks for the comment guys! :biggrin:

jack5703

Known Member
Mar 18, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Drove that day during rain. No prob, unless really flood until the whole filter is submerged in water. Other than that, some rain drops shouldn't be any problem. The redline filter is washable, so when it's dirty just take it off, wash it then glue back again. After this filter is put to full use i will change change to a proper open pod filter. Thanks for the comment guys! :biggrin:
Since its glued isn't it dangerous, what if it drops out and you suck in a dust etc. Just an afterthought :-)

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Nice mod.....Cheap but effective.....

I have a same mod with u but with a Simota Drop In fitted in Suzuki Swift.....i use 2 CAI pipe to route the cold air from the bumper "next to the S logo there" to the filter while the filter is still at the original place.....once installed try on Genting.....it pulls much much better,torque from mid to high end was improve much....on a same road i try with a same car "a friend of mine" last time before this mod i manage to follow him or same in line with him....but after this mod i manage to pull him away for quite far so this show the improvement on the performance ~ =)

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Haha, i changed to real open pod already coz i got a good offer on lowyat. Some guy demod his satria. Bought his custom made stainess steel piping with heat wrap plus a 2 day old apexi replica filter for only a total of rm250. :driver:

Feel free to try this DIY mod if you're free tho. Cheap and effective. :proud:

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Haha, i changed to real open pod already coz i got a good offer on lowyat. Some guy demod his satria. Bought his custom made stainess steel piping with heat wrap plus a 2 day old apexi replica filter for only a total of rm250. :driver:

Feel free to try this DIY mod if you're free tho. Cheap and effective. :proud:
Of course proper open pod looks and perform better.... but for me the drop in still so new,feel abit waste if change to open pod now ~ hehe =P

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I decided to park my car on roadside at pj housing area main road, jln ss3/14, due to clutch pump leaked, only frm 7.15pm to 9pm, just now. I intended to force drive it on 2nd gear when traffic is clear at 9pm but when I arrived, found that driver's side door was unlocked, I was shocked that steering wasn't there, boot also left opened, my 2 spare tyre on rear seat also not in the same position as before, some wiring cut, i believe someone tried to start the engine but failed. It's just a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience