DIY - Myvi Brake Shoe Replacement

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
ideally, ABS works with 4 disk brakes to best the best result.
Drum brakes may not work for modern ABS that controls all 4 wheels of the car.

I guess that is why drum brakes are less "favoured", partly due to the safety standard or standard equipment for today's car.

Somehow, I read from internet that some old modern cars could have ABS with 2 disk brakes (front) and 2 drum brakes (rear). I might be wrong...

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Some update guys after some 50km...the brake is working well so far and has got better. Less spongy and stopping power is improving.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Some update guys after some 50km...the brake is working well so far and has got better. Less spongy and stopping power is improving.
Will you still go back to your mechanic? Even though was your mechanic worker who mess up, he should over see that matter actually.....:driver:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Will you still go back to your mechanic? Even though was your mechanic worker who mess up, he should over see that matter actually.....:driver:
Well i wont claim back the 20 bucks i paid...actually i knew it first hand that their skill is not that great because last time my friend (also friend with the mechanic) repaired his kancil there and many things messed up. I have been to his place a few times to do normal servicing and minor repair which I did not encountered any problem so far so I thought changing brake shoe should be a piece of cake for them. I was damn wrong :banghead:

Maybe one day when I bump into him I might highlight this to him. But not in a way that I shall purposely go to his workshop to tell him.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
ideally, ABS works with 4 disk brakes to best the best result.
Drum brakes may not work for modern ABS that controls all 4 wheels of the car.

I guess that is why drum brakes are less "favoured", partly due to the safety standard or standard equipment for today's car.

Somehow, I read from internet that some old modern cars could have ABS with 2 disk brakes (front) and 2 drum brakes (rear). I might be wrong...
I remember Myvi is front ABS only right?

Nice. Any sound/noise? The drums looked unusually white.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well i wont claim back the 20 bucks i paid...actually i knew it first hand that their skill is not that great because last time my friend (also friend with the mechanic) repaired his kancil there and many things messed up. I have been to his place a few times to do normal servicing and minor repair which I did not encountered any problem so far so I thought changing brake shoe should be a piece of cake for them. I was damn wrong :banghead:

Maybe one day when I bump into him I might highlight this to him. But not in a way that I shall purposely go to his workshop to tell him.
Well, he thought was chiffon cake, but kena Christmas fruit cake, so don't know how to bake.....hhahahhahahhaa:rofl:

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

I remember Myvi is front ABS only right?

Nice. Any sound/noise? The drums looked unusually white.
Time to change yours, maybe can improve your braking too.....:driver:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Well, he thought was chiffon cake, but kena Christmas fruit cake, so don't know how to bake.....hhahahhahahhaa:rofl:

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Well i guess that clearly shows that they are not so experienced when it comes to servicing drum brakes

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Not gonna change a thing if my brakes still gone after a corner haha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, i am totally new in car maintaining as i am going to get my first own car soon.
Is Tufoil suitable to use for a brand new car? Will it void warranty?

I understand that every 5000 km we need to change car oil which we called black oil in cantonese. So is Tufoil a kind of black oil or it's a supplement oil which means we still need to use black oil + Tufoil?

Where do we fill Tufoil into? How? When?

Sry if the questions r too newbie :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience