DIY - Fitting a magnetic latch to GTi coin box

InitialD

Aug 27, 2004
My GTi's coin box door can't be closed due to some problems with its' latch. Somehow, the old latch wasn't latching to it.

So finally I had some time on my hands and decided to become a MacGuyver for today and dip into my dad's tool box. I found some magnets, screws, metal washers...and viola.. the idea of a magnetic latch like on those cupboard doors came to mind.

Anyway.. below are some photos of my DIY for those who are interested. If they don't appear here, then you may go to my website to view them too.

InitialD

Aug 27, 2004
Dremel, why would you want the ThunderCat emblem for? Strange lah u.. most ppl want to get rid of it..while u want it...hhahahaha

I plan to keep it lah.. in case next time wanna sell, can put it back on for extra value..hahahahahah.

IronJ

Oct 6, 2004
it's cool... but my car dun hv coins box... hehehe... will intro to any frens who hv this kind of problems...

JasperSSP

Nov 21, 2003
I put my shades in it.

Dremel

Ampng Nrdschlff
Originally posted by ksgoh@Oct 25 2004, 16:12
out of topic,
that is called coin box?? do u guy put coin for such big spaces?? one of my fren told me that is for card, ie. touch n go, bonuslink card.....it is really convenience...
you can put anything you want in it lar.. hehe

i also put coins at the tray beside the cigarrette lighter..
actually it's an ashtray right?

InitialD

Aug 27, 2004
Aiyah.. sorry lah.. I also dunno what is the proper term for it... perhaps u can call it an "Under Dashboard Drawer"?

Zeroed

I have the very same problem. What I did was remove the whole damn thing to make way for a boost controller...
...only thing is I dont have a boost controller or a turbo engine. :D

Very useful pics man. Ill need it some day. :)

InitialD

Aug 27, 2004
Zeroed, how does a boast controller look like? The basic concept is to use a magnet on one side and a metalic material ( washer ) which will be attracted to the magnet.

The hard part is finding something to hold the magnet in place.

If it is not too much, we would again like to thank everyone for being a part of the success of Zerotohundred.com’s TIMETOATTACK Round 2 as it was definitely one of the best that we had ever organized so far! And just like the last round, we'll now bring you some of the treats for those who could not make it to last Sunday’s event, in the form of automotive eye-candies, starting off with the JDMs...