Constant tension band hose clamp vs Screw type hose clamp??

Vincent0001

Mar 8, 2019
Recently DIY flushing radiator coolant myself and come across this two types of hose clamps
1. 2019-04-18 20_19_20-Constant Tension Band Hose Clamp - Google Search.jpg Original Constant tension band hose clamp come from factory (Honestly I really don't know what it call:dontknow:)

2. 2019-04-18 20_20_12-hose clamp - Google Search.jpg Scew type hose clamp

Which one better? Which one will you choose? While changing radiator hoses, will you take out the original one and change to the screw type hose clamp?

- My own opinion is the 1st original one is better than 2nd one, because its tension clamp radially inward to the center of the pipe evenly. The 2nd screw type hose clamp use screw thread to pull the band to clamp the hose, the person tighten it have to do it probably to press the band slowly while turning the screw, and the clamp have a weak points that the band cannot tighten as shown in red rectangular because there have a protruded metal to hold the screw. The other concern while the clamp meet heat cycle (heating and cooling), eventually the screw will lose a bit.

I saw a lot people recommend the screw type hose clamp, said it is better. I don't agree with it, from engineering point of view, the 1st one is better. Above just my personal opinion.

:banghead:Second question is, I can't find the original hose clamp online, all online sell the screw type one, do you all bought it before? Wondering do spare part shop got sell?:confused:

What is you guys choice and opinion?:thrasher:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
To me the original (1) when new is ok, but will loose it's tension. Somehow after I changed my hose, it did not work well so I changed them to (2) and using them all this while......

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
I prefer the screw type as it grips the hose evenly compared to the constant tension which only grips where there are no holes thus the material that it grips on isnt even, causing some parts of the hoses to sink in while other parts remain as original (leaving a pattern). I bought some wire heat protection tape from trimas to add a few layers over the hose to add more material over it, where the clip grips on it, so in essence the clip does not directly contact with the hose but with the tape material first, thus avoiding thinning out the material at the clamping area.

Reactions: Vincent0001

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Recently DIY flushing radiator coolant myself and come across this two types of hose clamps
1. View attachment 574416 Original Constant tension band hose clamp come from factory (Honestly I really don't know what it call:dontknow:)

2. View attachment 574417 Scew type hose clamp
I prefer the original clip provided the tension is still in good condition.

Screw type clamps have issues -

1. If over tightened it'll cut into the hoses and cause countless issues including deforming the alu/metal hose inside plus those leaks.
2. If a poor quality clamp is used it'll loosen over time.

However - the issue with original clamps has another issue. You can't use these clamps if you're not using the original sized hoses and stuff. The moment you change anything out of the ordinary it'll be a bad fit.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
1. View attachment 574416 Original Constant tension band hose clamp come from factory (Honestly I really don't know what it call:dontknow:)

2. View attachment 574417 Scew type hose clamp

Which one better? Which one will you choose? While changing radiator hoses, will you take out the original one and change to the screw type hose clamp?

- My own opinion is the 1st original one is better than 2nd one, because its tension clamp radially inward to the center of the pipe evenly. The 2nd screw type hose clamp use screw thread to pull the band to clamp the hose, the person tighten it have to do it probably to press the band slowly while turning the screw, and the clamp have a weak points that the band cannot tighten as shown in red rectangular because there have a protruded metal to hold the screw. The other concern while the clamp meet heat cycle (heating and cooling), eventually the screw will lose a bit.

I saw a lot people recommend the screw type hose clamp, said it is better. I don't agree with it, from engineering point of view, the 1st one is better. Above just my personal opinion.

:banghead:Second question is, I can't find the original hose clamp online, all online sell the screw type one, do you all bought it before? Wondering do spare part shop got sell?:confused:

What is you guys choice and opinion?:thrasher:

if stock hose... i'll use stock clamp...

if aftermarket silicone hose that is often more slippery and can popped off easily, i'll definately change into worm-clamp...better be safe than sorry...

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
One more thing if the hose is connected to plactic part, avoid using the screw type clamp. One can never guess the torque which if overtighten can break the plastic.

Vincent0001

Mar 8, 2019
One more thing if the hose is connected to plactic part, avoid using the screw type clamp. One can never guess the torque which if overtighten can break the plastic.
I once use the small screw type to tighten the small hose connect to spare tank (plastic), while tightening I suddenly realize i could over tight and break it, and i change to two zip tights, it work fine never leak.

*it is kancil the spare tank hose is at bottom, if not clamp or tighten well, the water inside the spare tank will leak out eventually become empty.

Vincent0001

Mar 8, 2019
So nobody know where to get the new Constant tension band hose clamp (1st one) or bought it at spare part shop before other than it come with the car from factory:confused::tee:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

To all:

Please DO NOT Post if you have nothing to say.

Due to the increasing number of useless* threads/posts/replies, It has caused much uncalled-for frustration.

This drastically stunts the growth of Zerotohundred.com as well as it reflects the maturity level of people in this part of the world.

*Useless

-Uncalled for posts/threads
-Immature posts/threads
-Non-beneficial posts/threads
-Off-topic posts
-Posts/Threads without much thought
+More will be added without prior...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience