Car idling not stable and petrol usage high

CIKAPOT7564

Aug 25, 2006
Dear all.. I used Ford Escape 2.0XLT year 2001. This problem happened since 2 weeks ago. Before this when i fill full tank my car can reach about 560km (est.) but now i only can reach around 310km..My service record all is on time and i just replace my spark plug and service throttle body but the problem still happened. The idling sometimes can go till 2500 without press the paddle..Need help from all..:confused:..:banghead:...:nurse:

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
Most likely either the TPS or ISCV sensor in the throttle body went faulty for idling issue, happened to me before.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Not sure about the poor FC you are facing now. As for the high rpm, it could be like what YH said. But for my case previously, it was the throttle body itself. Apparently, there is a diaphragm in the TB which opens and closes each time you accelerate and decelerate. Mine was like "leaking", meaning it wasn't able to close fully or something like that. Thus, even when idling the rpm will be high.

When you start your engine, is the rpm higher than normal?
Is the rpm always high when idling regardless of whether you drive fast or slow before the car stops and idles?

If your answer is yes to both of these, then the problem is not the same as mine. The rpm will only increase when I drive fast. But when I turn off my engine and restart the engine, rpm would be normal. You can check if you are also facing the same problem.

CIKAPOT7564

Aug 25, 2006
Hi all. thanks for your response..Normally this happened after the engine running doesnt matter whether i drive slow or faster. But when i start the engine normally rpm is normal and after the engine running rpm will get higher.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Check your TB. Maybe your TB is quite seriously worn out. Before buying a new TB, try using a friend's TB on your ride and see. I suspect it's the TB because it is not closing properly after it opens. The rpm is normal when you start because the TB diaphragm has closed during that time. Next time you drive around and find that the rpm is high when you stop. Turn off the engine and restart after a few seconds. I use to do that when I was still trying to find out the cause. Then, when you restart, it should be back to normal.

CIKAPOT7564

Aug 25, 2006
yes you're rite bro. i has check my TB and found the shaft on TB diaphragm can move a bit during open and close..so that TB diaphragm not closed proper during that time and make the rpm high.. Did you have any suggestion which model of TB can i used for my car Ford Escape 2.0 XLT because hard to find spare part of this model and the price so crazy...PLS Advice..

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
I really don't know about Ford parts bro. Try asking in the Ford forum. Maybe some Mazda parts would fit. Till you get one, when the RPM shoots up, just turn off the engine for a few seconds.

Last edited:

kayy

Known Member
Dec 7, 2005
check ur air flow sensor..plus ur petrol filter..to get a clear picture, go for a diagnostic check

ahjamm

Feb 9, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
hi is it ok to tumpang thread in here or should i start a new thread?
i kind have the same problem to my kembara and previously was trying to solve it by adjusting this 2 screws that loosen/tighten 2 cables.
not sure what it calls or if they are the right thing to adjust.
from what i see is that a component that joins this 2 cable moves/pulls the cable when accelerator is stepped on.
even if send to mechanic how am i gonna tell em the prob? :idea:

Wan Syazwan

From Facebook
Jan 1, 2012
www.facebook.com
I have the same problem, the RPM going up and down when idling. Went to workshop they said need to change the throttle body, can't be service due to got instrumentation inside, so already book the part, maybe going to install it next week.

And I found strong petrol smell at the engine area when I start the car, huhu why? Is this combo problem with the throttle body, if I change the throttle body will the petrol smell disappear?

Last edited:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
What car are you using bro?

Last edited:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
hi is it ok to tumpang thread in here or should i start a new thread?
i kind have the same problem to my kembara and previously was trying to solve it by adjusting this 2 screws that loosen/tighten 2 cables.
not sure what it calls or if they are the right thing to adjust.
from what i see is that a component that joins this 2 cable moves/pulls the cable when accelerator is stepped on.
even if send to mechanic how am i gonna tell em the prob? :idea:
accelerator cable.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

I have the same problem, the RPM going up and down when idling. Went to workshop they said need to change the throttle body, can't be service due to got instrumentation inside, so already book the part, maybe going to install it next week.

And I found strong petrol smell at the engine area when Is start the car, huhu why? Is this combo problem with the throttle body, if I change the throttle body will the petrol smell disappear?
it could be done just that they lazy or the price of workmanship is equivalent of buying an aftermarket one.....alternatively u could use toyota FICD to stable the idle.

the strong fuel smell bcos of the faulty TB....

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
in this case, sounds like a sensor problem bro. im not so famliar with ur car model, but i get a feeling its a problem with maybe airflow sensor

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

JDM enthusiasts the world over will now be left in famine as their staple diet of Best Motoring and Hot Version videos have reached the end of the route and will completely cease production next month after 24 years on the run.

This is according to Adam at 7Tune, who was lucky enough to have a chat with the manager of the Media Development...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience