Car Aircondition Water Leaking Inside Car

tuileihai

Mar 31, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
When I touched the evaporator box, I found it icy-cold and a little wet. There is small droplets on my car mat. It is not seriously dripping. There seems to be a conflicting views about this. Some say it is NORMAL to have a little droplet during the hot days. Then there those who say all the cold water from the coil should gathered INSIDE the evaporator box. It should drain out of the car via the drain pipe. If there is any water leaking inside the car, either the drain is blocked or there is leakage at the evaporator box. Please enlighten.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
When I touched the evaporator box, I found it icy-cold and a little wet. There is small droplets on my car mat. It is not seriously dripping. There seems to be a conflicting views about this. Some say it is NORMAL to have a little droplet during the hot days. Then there those who say all the cold water from the coil should gathered INSIDE the evaporator box. It should drain out of the car via the drain pipe. If there is any water leaking inside the car, either the drain is blocked or there is leakage at the evaporator box. Please enlighten.
Maybe the expansion valve is no longer functioning properly. There could be a situation when the valve is in such condition and causing the aircond to have only 2 temp setting which is not cold at all or too cold even at the hottest temp setting.
Just like my car, max temp does not trigger the compressor but one notch above max temp is too cold. My regular aircond shop remind me to not set the temp beyond 1/2 turn to prevent ice to form on the coil on long cruise. So far there is no need for me to do so as even 1/4 turn is cold enough under the hot sun.
Other than that the aircond system can be use as normal.

If its an old system which is running on R12 gas then sweating blower box is almost common at least on my Pajero.

tuileihai

Mar 31, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
My question is should there be any water on the evaporator box or container, or it should be just cold and no water vapour on it?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My question is should there be any water on the evaporator box or container, or it should be just cold and no water vapour on it?
If the weather is cold, and air con is very cold, there can be some condensation, but should not be enough to drip off. Another thing is to check your drainage hose, could be stuck....

tuileihai

Mar 31, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
If the weather is cold, and air con is very cold, there can be some condensation, but should not be enough to drip off. Another thing is to check your drainage hose, could be stuck....
Presently my problem is there is serious dripping . But there is water on the outside area on the evaporator cabin. As you mentioned it could be blockage of the drainage hose, or it could be the seal of the box is broken.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Presently my problem is there is serious dripping . But there is water on the outside area on the evaporator cabin. As you mentioned it could be blockage of the drainage hose, or it could be the seal of the box is broken.
what car is this?

tuileihai

Mar 31, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
ah.. pretty sure it's the drainage hose considering the age of the car.
But I just have it serviced. Before this, I did not have water droplets on the car rubber mat. I was told it is NORMAL to be slightly wet on the evaporator box.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
But I just have it serviced. Before this, I did not have water droplets on the car rubber mat. I was told it is NORMAL to be slightly wet on the evaporator box.
bro, when they service the aircon, they almost never touch the drainage pipe. When they serviced either they didn't reconnect the drainage or they somehow didn't connect the drainage properly or worse - they damaged the drainage pipe when assembling the whole thing.

Just go find another trusted workshop to have a look. Last time my old E36 BMW was also having similar issues until the car smelt like wet dog because the carpet got wet from the aircon. After I got frustrated with the smell I dismantled everything including the carpet and seats, found that the drainage pipe was just disconnected.

tuileihai

Mar 31, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
bro, when they service the aircon, they almost never touch the drainage pipe. When they serviced either they didn't reconnect the drainage or they somehow didn't connect the drainage properly or worse - they damaged the drainage pipe when assembling the whole thing.

Just go find another trusted workshop to have a look. Last time my old E36 BMW was also having similar issues until the car smelt like wet dog because the carpet got wet from the aircon. After I got frustrated with the smell I dismantled everything including the carpet and seats, found that the drainage pipe was just disconnected.
I suspected it could be clogged drainage pipe, but it is not dripping leakage. I found a spot or two on the rubber mat. I was told condensation on the cabin case is normal. I usually do not turn on the full cold setting.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I suspected it could be clogged drainage pipe, but it is not dripping leakage. I found a spot or two on the rubber mat. I was told condensation on the cabin case is normal. I usually do not turn on the full cold setting.
well, we are all in lockdown mode now. All you have is free time, so strip the front carpet down and see if you can unclog the drainage