Can we skip the cutting/polish step and just wax the car?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear respected Sifus in the detailing community...

I got a question to ask here... Is it okay to wash and then wax my car without the polishing/cutting stage? My paint is not perfect. But it's not that bad either. It is okay throughout the body and clear coat is still there nicely ^^. Except for some places small areas or paint start to bubble up. Looks liek peeling. And there a small patch where the clear coat is gone on the bonnet. And some minor and swirl marks that are hard to see because the colour is 2k white.

My reason to not polish/compound/cut being:
i. No skill. Don't know the steps, type of products and pads to use. Scared damage paint. Better be safe
ii. No equipment. No rotary polisher.

So is it okay to wash and wax? Skipping the claying and polishing part. Will waxing the bonnet cure the small patch of "lost clear coat" that I have mentioned before?

And for sealing, what is the function and can it be done without polishing/cutting also?

Thank you... :adore:

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
yes you can - delay the aging process

i would say yr ride either is a proton or poor repainted ...job

nothing is more damaging - corrosion had began- now at least you can do yr intervention

- yr great journey awaitin you - Marco polo

Cheeerios

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Thank you KC2... It's toyota... The bubbling is not corrosion like typical aged protons. It looks like it is just caused by poor paint adhesion to the car's surface.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Yes, you can put a layer of wax after a wash without doing any claying or polishing. But don't expect to get any 'WOW' factor as that can only come after a proper surface preparation, i.e. polishing or removing defects.

Paint has no life so there's really nothing you can do to 'cure' your 'lost clear coat'. Defects are 'on' the clear coat and what we'd normally do is to remove a very small portion of the clear coat, hence, removing the defects. If the clear coat itself is gone, then there's nothing anybody can do but either 'patching' or re-paint.

Anyway, you're doing the right thing on not diving into it. Start studying and researching and you'd save quite a bit on buying and trying stuffs. IMHO, you should start learning on the proper technique for washing/maintenance. Then the rest would come naturally.

Regards.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Yes, you can put a layer of wax after a wash without doing any claying or polishing. But don't expect to get any 'WOW' factor as that can only come after a proper surface preparation, i.e. polishing or removing defects.

Paint has no life so there's really nothing you can do to 'cure' your 'lost clear coat'. Defects are 'on' the clear coat and what we'd normally do is to remove a very small portion of the clear coat, hence, removing the defects. If the clear coat itself is gone, then there's nothing anybody can do but either 'patching' or re-paint.

Anyway, you're doing the right thing on not diving into it. Start studying and researching and you'd save quite a bit on buying and trying stuffs. IMHO, you should start learning on the proper technique for washing/maintenance. Then the rest would come naturally.

Regards.
Thank you for your input... Regarding the clear coat, I am thinking can I polish the area so smear some of the clear coat on nearby areas on to it. And then reseal it with some good seal and then wax. Than would make it look shiny too right? As is the original clear coat is there.

And I forgot where I have seen. But there's this product. I don't know whether it is a seal or wax. It claims to give a clear coat that is tougher and thicker than the clear coat that painter spray on your car. Just wipe it on the car.... Have you come across it?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Can always go for KC2's Clinic in detailing or view
some of his threads for some tips on detailing bro...
:top:

A lot can still be learn from the threads cuz each step
is explained in detail by KC2. Well, of course always
better to go and see it ourselves during his detailing
clinic :biggrin:

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Basically, to put it simple, the car's paintwork consist of base coat, color coat and clear coat. Clear coat is a thin and clear lacquer paint on the top most surface of the paintwork, one of it's purpose is to protect the color coat. Unlike wood veneer, when it's dry and 'cured', the clear coat would become hard and you cannot 'melt' it and spread it around. When it's gone, it's gone, only the color coat would be left on that area.

But, if you opt not to re-paint, you can just polish that area and wax/seal it. You would see some unevenness or even 'boundary/border' of the area with/without the clear coat, and the part without the clear coat would oxidize faster - i.e. you'd need to polish more frequently.

Yes, there is a product that you can apply onto the paint that would act almost similar to spraying new clear coat and it's said to be tougher and harder than MOST normal clear coat. But I do not think it's worth it if you're thinking of using it for one or two panels only as the price of the coating itself comes to about the same price of re-spraying one panel. The coating is also meant to be use to further enhance the protection of existing paintwork and not as a total substitution for clear coat.

Just work around the budget that you have. A re-spray would be best or most economical if your existing clear coat has already deteriorated to the point where no polishing can save it. In the mean time, wax/seal would do no harm but it can only give some temporary protection and not a cure.

Anyway, some pics would be very useful. We're shooting blind here.

Regards.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Can always go for KC2's Clinic in detailing or view
some of his threads for some tips on detailing bro...
:top:

A lot can still be learn from the threads cuz each step
is explained in detail by KC2. Well, of course always
better to go and see it ourselves during his detailing
clinic :biggrin:
Yes... Got read a lot of his post... If not, I won't pay so much attention to paint and protection... KC is the one who made me aware of the importance of proper washing and protection... Haha... but still, I think from his threads, it is still not enough for me to go into polishing and correction. For this, I will only dare to do if got live hands on lessons. See la when is the next time he visit KK. :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Basically, to put it simple, the car's paintwork consist of base coat, color coat and clear coat. Clear coat is a thin and clear lacquer paint on the top most surface of the paintwork, one of it's purpose is to protect the color coat. Unlike wood veneer, when it's dry and 'cured', the clear coat would become hard and you cannot 'melt' it and spread it around. When it's gone, it's gone, only the color coat would be left on that area.

But, if you opt not to re-paint, you can just polish that area and wax/seal it. You would see some unevenness or even 'boundary/border' of the area with/without the clear coat, and the part without the clear coat would oxidize faster - i.e. you'd need to polish more frequently.

Yes, there is a product that you can apply onto the paint that would act almost similar to spraying new clear coat and it's said to be tougher and harder than MOST normal clear coat. But I do not think it's worth it if you're thinking of using it for one or two panels only as the price of the coating itself comes to about the same price of re-spraying one panel. The coating is also meant to be use to further enhance the protection of existing paintwork and not as a total substitution for clear coat.

Just work around the budget that you have. A re-spray would be best or most economical if your existing clear coat has already deteriorated to the point where no polishing can save it. In the mean time, wax/seal would do no harm but it can only give some temporary protection and not a cure.

Anyway, some pics would be very useful. We're shooting blind here.

Regards.
I tried to take pics but it's difficult to see the defects on white paint. Anyways, about the clear coat gone thing, I don't think there will be a boundary/border like what you said. Because the loss of clear coat there is gradual and not sudden like a peel off. That areas just looks dull and not shiny anymore. Small area only around 15 x 15 cm. So I think a good seal + wax should be good enough then. Think it should return the shine to that area.

And wow I did not know the clear coat substitution thing cost so much! I thought it around the price of seal/wax! Okay... So this option is out. Out of budget.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
hmm....now it sounded more like clear coat oxidation rather than clear coat failure. Does it feel rough to the touch? Like sand paper feel? If it is, some polishing *should* be able to lighten or even remove it. No where to know exactly without pics or first hand viewing. If you know any detailers or even a painter that you can trust, it'll be a good idea to let them have a look at it. Tell us how it goes will ya.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
hmm....now it sounded more like clear coat oxidation rather than clear coat failure. Does it feel rough to the touch? Like sand paper feel? If it is, some polishing *should* be able to lighten or even remove it. No where to know exactly without pics or first hand viewing. If you know any detailers or even a painter that you can trust, it'll be a good idea to let them have a look at it. Tell us how it goes will ya.
Yes it is like how you describe! Haha... So that is oxidation and not a gone clear coat? Sory ya... Noob in detailing... I guess then I would just get a polish and try to do it myself... Just by hand without machine... Will try on a small area first and see if it is okay.... Scary though...

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
No need to be scared. Take all the necessary precautions (trying a test area is spot on) and you should be alright. Not much harm can be done if you're working by hand, just follow the directions.

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Thank you KC2... It's toyota... The bubbling is not corrosion like typical aged protons. It looks like it is just caused by poor paint adhesion to the car's surface.
So aiya...all knowledge will puff u up...come to join me ya 7 may & see ya there with yr car

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
So aiya...all knowledge will puff u up...come to join me ya 7 may & see ya there with yr car
Owh... Not too far away... Where is the place?

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Just visited your blog KC. I'm guessing it is in KL... Haha... Nevermind, thank you... Wait next time you come to KK first la! Btw, nice verses for the charity hands on thing... Psalm 139:13 right? :burnout:

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Owh... Not too far away... Where is the place?

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Just visited your blog KC. I'm guessing it is in KL... Haha... Nevermind, thank you... Wait next time you come to KK first la! Btw, nice verses for the charity hands on thing... Psalm 139:13 right? :burnout:

Yupp..PTL

as everyone needs to be constantly to be reminded they are born for a purpose - I have found mine & aspiring others now

give me a buzz ya.....
be bless ya

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Veloc, give it a try like what the others suggested. Before this, I'm also like you a newbie that don't know much about detailing at 1st but I learn a lot from KC and the ppl around him.

Detailing needs passion, patience and persistent.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Round 2 was the most explosive Toyota Gazoo Racing Festival round to date. Not just because of the intense*race drama that'd kept us all on the edge of our toes with the constant serving of nudges and crashes, but top highlights of the race weekend were definitely:​

• The massive contact...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience