cam gear tuning question

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
i have read that advancing the intake, retarding the exhaust gives less overlap for better low end power and vice versa gives more overlap which is good for high end power in expense of low end

what about advancing intake and advancing exhaust? or retarding intake and retarding exhaust? what kind of changes can we expect?

reason i asked is my kelisa has twin cam but behaves like a sohc coz got only one cam gear running both cams so cant adjust intake and exhaust independently

also, what has been bugging me is that what if the cam has small overlap to begin with? then i should not be bothered to advance but rather retard the cam so i can shift powerband higher for better high rpm use, since low end should be ok enough with small overlap (kelisa has approx. 9 degree overlap out of 720 crank so the ratio is pretty small i think).

comments are appreciated. thanks

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A Perfect Match is a recent short film made by BMW Classic, where Jack insists on looking for a suitable replacement for his BMW 1602. This was an award winning BMW Feature short film that has made its name in Cannes and has won the Golden Dolphin award. Check out the awesome video

YouTube - A Perfect Match. BMW Classic.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience