Braking issue

Pathmaprasad

May 9, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hello guys,

I'm driving a stock toyota corolla ae92 1.6L liftback. Recently, i'm having some issues with the braking system of the car. I'm having a greater braking distance especially under hard braking. Though i depress the pedal to the max, it takes a further distance for the car to stop. And the car also tend to slip under wet condition which makes driving the car difficult at times.
The brake pedal is as usual and the brake fluid in the reservoir remains the same..

I warmly request the view of all members over here.. Thank you...

Jakk

Known Member
Aug 20, 2009
Selangor
check:

1. brake pad
2. brake pump
3. rotor ( maybe overskimming )
4. bleeding brake line

just my 0.02 :rolleyes:

mamatAE111

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
Please bleed the brake fluid at all four corners first. Maybe air lock or moisture in the system.
If the same, then change brake lines, if still unchanged then change or service the brake pump.

Slip in the wet issue I cannot help, AE92 don't have ABS yet right? Have to put in ABS system from AE101/111 model.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
Hello guys,

I'm driving a stock toyota corolla ae92 1.6L liftback. Recently, i'm having some issues with the braking system of the car. I'm having a greater braking distance especially under hard braking. Though i depress the pedal to the max, it takes a further distance for the car to stop. And the car also tend to slip under wet condition which makes driving the car difficult at times.
The brake pedal is as usual and the brake fluid in the reservoir remains the same..

a few more clues needed to pinpoint the problem...

is the pedal depressed firm or getting softer??... means it sinks as u depress harder...
if yes, u will need to bleed ur brake lines... if the brake fluid is dark "kopi'o" color, flush and change new fluid... check for any leaks around ur brake pump and brake lines...
check ur brake lines if they are old and spongy...

when u do an emergency braking, does the wheels lock up??..
if yes, ur brakes is ok... just that ur tyres are not up to par... use good tyres....
if no, check ur brake pads... old brake pads might lose their friction coefficient as the ceramic gets hardened overtime even they arent worn out....

is there any sound emitting from the brakes??....
if yes, check ur brake pad... it might had worn off or too much brake dust accumulate around the caliper/drum....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Did you car went through flood, or heavy rain? Many cars had brake problems after going through flood water esp.....if so, recommend you to bleed and replace brake fluid. I shouldnt cost a bomb to do it.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hello guys,

Could also be your tyres...

Less thread or uneven thread....

Also probably the brake pads, could be sub-standard or low quality...

Go for branded or ori if possible...:burnout:

Pathmaprasad

May 9, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
a few more clues needed to pinpoint the problem...

is the pedal depressed firm or getting softer??... means it sinks as u depress harder...
if yes, u will need to bleed ur brake lines... if the brake fluid is dark "kopi'o" color, flush and change new fluid... check for any leaks around ur brake pump and brake lines...
check ur brake lines if they are old and spongy...

when u do an emergency braking, does the wheels lock up??..
if yes, ur brakes is ok... just that ur tyres are not up to par... use good tyres....
if no, check ur brake pads... old brake pads might lose their friction coefficient as the ceramic gets hardened overtime even they arent worn out....

is there any sound emitting from the brakes??....
if yes, check ur brake pad... it might had worn off or too much brake dust accumulate around the caliper/drum....

There is no issue while depressing the pedal, it is just as usual(become firmer as depressed) and the brake linings were just changed 6 months ago, tyres are properly inflated and just changed 3 months ago, and the brake fluid do not change colour.. And the wheels do not lock up during hard braking...

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Is it that worn out shock absorbers affect braking?

headshot

Known Member
May 26, 2005
Malaysia
review your braking style, did you use engine braking? or every corners, every stops u brake hard? if yes, your brake pads might wrapped up due to overheat, consider ur driving style or changing to better brake pads.

Raymond852

Oct 10, 2012
chicago
Hi all,sometime we avoid this part so Please bleed the brake fluid at all four corners first. Maybe air lock or moisture in the system. If the same, then change brake lines, if still unchanged then change or service the brake pump.

honda lift kits

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

I have some questions.

1. Will there be any difference, if I change the injectors? I'm currently running a 4G13P. Is it a necessary for me to get a adjustable fuel regulator afterthat?

2. If I choose to use High cams 272 degree, what kind of settings or precaution should I take note, in order not to let the car stall?

Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience