Brake didn't bite during down hill from Genting

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, please tell me how come my brake didn't bite on the way down hill from Genting. The bite only came back after half way down the hill. That was not the first time I got this experience. I encountered the same thing in different cars too. Was that because of the low air temperature?

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
From your post, i see that you have no braking power during the first half on your journey downhill.. After that you get your braking power back.. Were your brakes too cold/ didnt warm up before doing hard braking?

I'm not sure if this has got to do with your brake fluid, DOT3/4.. Maybe some sifu can clear this up..

russwestwood

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2006
ofloveandcarbonfibre.blogspot.com
Hello YYC,

Yes, I believe it may be due to cold air temperature.

Did you leave your car to cool down at Genting? If you drove down from a cold start, the pads and discs will need a bit of time to warm up.

If you're using racing pads (high-temp pads) they will take even longer to warm up.
With racing pads going downhill from a cold start, I normally apply the brakes lightly at low speeds to give them more time to warm up.

This is the same for highway driving, when the brakes are not applied for a while, they cool down quickly, and wont be so responsive should emergency braking be required.

You might want to consider using medium to low temp pads for street use. Driving downhill, low temp pads will heat up quickly and will also wear quickly when used a lot. Thus, using low gears (keeping the revs slightly higher) will slow your vechicle with less brakes, saving your pads from wearing out too quickly.

Hope this helps.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
its called brake fade. thats basically when ur brakes (especially ur pads) has gone past their operating temperature....

one of the reasons u see why performance pads has temperature ratings on them.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all gurus n senior Z2

I need u guys to link me any previous thread or any information u have.In mind -maybe 4g corolla engine can be install to alza bay.

I may wrong OR maybe its realy can be done/someone have done-by using custome mounting@same as hasport do fr ef/eg/ek to swap k serious..

In future if transplant succsess and endorse-will plung in either 4throtle system or kacuk with supercharge piston/bolt on turbo fr that 4age alza

Thnks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience