BMW Bags Most Awards at International Engine of the Year Awards 2012!

Jay

Known Member
Mar 6, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

BMW has walked away from the International Engine of the Year Awards 2012 with four out of eight awards, making them the most successful auto-maker in the world-renowned engine contest.

<!--more-->Their victories included taking home awards for their 1.6L turbo mill for the MINI Cooper S; their 4-cylinder engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology that’s found in the 328i, 528i and Z4 sDrive 28i; their straight-six with M TwinPower Turbo in the 1 Series M Coupe and finally their almighty V8 that powers the BMW M3.

“Every year, we at BMW strive to improve on the ground breaking developments and innovation which have made us one of the most dynamic brands in the world. We are honoured to be recognised for these achievements as it signifies that our efforts are not going unnoticed and that we are making a difference in the world.” said Mr. Sashi Ambi, Corporate Communications Manager, BMW Group Malaysia.

With a panel of 76 motoring journalists from 36 countries making up the list of judges, BMW undoubtedly faced not only tough competition, but also tough scrutinizing for what is considered to be the world’s most sought after award by automakers that places great emphasis on not just power delivery, but also efficiency, fuel consumption and emission figures.

The 2012 competition saw the prize in the 1.4-litre to 1.8-litre displacement class handed to the engine that drives the MINI Cooper S, in a reprise of its success last year. The 1.6-litre four-cylinder develops peak output of 135 kW/184 hp with the help of a twin-scroll turbocharger, direct petrol injection and variable valve control based on the BMW-patented VALVETRONIC technology. Among the key attributes of this unit is not only its eager power delivery but also exemplary efficiency for its class.

Likewise, providing enhanced driving pleasure coupled with extremely low fuel consumption and emission figures is the new 2.0-litre engine featuring BMW TwinPower Turbo technology. The 180 kW/245 hp four-cylinder turbocharged unit with High Precision Direct Injection and VALVETRONIC instantly won over the judges to capture the trophy in the 1.8-litre to 2.0-litre category. This engine is currently powering the new BMW 328i, BMW 528i and BMW Z4 sDrive28i in the country.

The top accolade in the 2.5-litre to 3.0-litre class went to a six-cylinder in-line engine whose technology has already wowed the judges several times previously. Both in 2007 and in 2008, this 3.0-litre powerplant with twin turbochargers, High Precision Injection and Double-VANOS took the overall prize in the Engine of the Year Awards. It serves as the basis for both the M TwinPower Turbo unit inside the BMW 1 Series M Coupe and the BMW TwinPower Turbo engine of the BMW Z4 sDrive35is. Delivering 250 kW/340 hp, this thrillingly high-revving straight-six has reached its highest output level. The upshot is truly outstanding performance that has garnered it a further Engine of the Year Award.

An achievement of this calibre is only exceeded by the string of successes claimed by the fourth BMW Group award-winner in 2012. For the fifth time in a row, the V8 engine of the BMW M3 high-performance sports car provides the measure of all things in the 3.0-litre to 4.0-litre displacement class. Bolstering the undiminished appeal of the 4.0-litre naturally aspirated engine are its hallmark M high-revving concept, peak output of 309 kW/420 hp and outstanding thrust. Beyond this, the eight-cylinder is compelling for its remarkable efficiency thanks to the Auto Start-Stop function, Brake Energy Regeneration and other Efficient Dynamics technologies.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/85DWNrxk-q0?rel=0" frameborder="0" height="338" width="600"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/x5jjFUS8mbI?rel=0" frameborder="0" height="338" width="600"></iframe>

Attachments

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Well done... They deserve this for all the improvements they brought about.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We’re more than sure that you’ve asked yourself a question like this at some point; how much does the “X” car cost in other countries? Well, we decided to try to answer that question for the “Z” car, aka the Nissan 350Z which is available in most countries. For time’s sake, we searched for the price of the entry-level (standard equipment differs in each country) Nissan 350Z in 23 markets all over the world converting prices...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience