bar and plate intercooler

lan evo

3,000 RPM
anyone care to explain what is bar and plate intercooler?

Generally there're 2 types of Intercoolers.

Water to Air and Air to Air.

THen there are 2 kinds of Air to Air intercoolers.

Bar and Fin and Tube and Fin.

Bar and Fin intercoolers are the ones we commonly see like VR4, EVO, BLITZ, etc.

Tube and Fin intercoolers are the ones like 1JZ SUpra Intercooler. The cooling fin are on the outside of the tubes.

Opsss... it suppose to be between bar & plate and Tube & fin air to air intercoolers.

Sorry guys,....I had to much too drink......

tube and fins are what we get from gsr/vr4/evo halfcuts etc.

bar and plate would be like the one being sold here at the forums. Bar and plate has more mass, allowing it to take a longer time to reach heat soak. It is also more durable and robust, little stones and such on the road shouldn't hurt it so much. If the internal ribs are designed properly, it should provide superior cooling over tube and fin.

Also it looks damn ganas :lol:

dolly said:
tube and fins are what we get from gsr/vr4/evo halfcuts etc.

bar and plate would be like the one being sold here at the forums. Bar and plate has more mass, allowing it to take a longer time to reach heat soak. It is also more durable and robust, little stones and such on the road shouldn't hurt it so much. If the internal ribs are designed properly, it should provide superior cooling over tube and fin.

Also it looks damn ganas :lol:

Yeah....you're absolutely rite.....alot of aftermarket coolers are now switching from tube and fins to bar and plate.... :smile:

I think one type of the intercooler flows better than the other.... but i forgot it's bar and plate or tube and fins...

flowing better doesn't necessarily mean better.

If it flowed better, but had lower cooling ability then thats bad too. On the other hand, good cooling ability but big pressure drop isn't good either :D

i think last time sky88 put up a very good article on bar and plate intercoolers, maybe you can try searching for it.

All the while i thought bar and plate was just more fins packed into the same sized intercooler...

Hence better cooling due to more fins but heavier in comparison... no?

depends lor, some bar and plate you see inside like normal tube and fin. But those that usually cost abit more would have ribbed internals i.e like fins, but on the inside, which can contribute to superior cooling.

a good intercooler would have large temperature differential between in/out and a very low pressure drop. infinite intercooler looks very yummy :D

noler, just surfing surfing then bump into it haha,

maybe you should email that website see if can use? Btw they make bar and plate intercoolers too, and are gaining popularity in the US fast :lol:

:D should give me discount when i buy ur intercooler later haehahehae j/k

dolly said:
noler, just surfing surfing then bump into it haha,

maybe you should email that website see if can use? Btw they make bar and plate intercoolers too, and are gaining popularity in the US fast :lol:

:D should give me discount when i buy ur intercooler later haehahehae j/k

heheh.....discounts?....why not...let me know what size you're lookin at and what car is it for ler....see what can i do for u ler.....

blur_civic said:
Hey!! I want discounts too! :p

Still my puny Nissan March... :(

U driving an ek with the bolt on kit rite???

me looking for something that can fit gti bumper without cutting it up much lor. I'm using evo3 i/c and its so freakin huge! cannot hide it and be sleeper anymore :(

Lemme find a new gti bumper when i come back to msia first.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom