Bad Experience In Buying A Second Hand Car.

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
Hi everyone, readers and whoever you are that may read this.
Recently, i bought A Toyota Celica GT 1991 (5th Generation) With a 3SGTE Engine. Turbo at 225 HP.
It was in Melaka and already brought it here in Subang Jaya.
However i would like to share with all of you about the agonizing pain that i've been through for the past 1 week. It may be the most terrible one in my life so far.

Heres the story:
I saw the ad in Mudah.com.my as i was searching the web for a few decent car that i could use it everyday in my working life and also as a student. I'll be travelling from USJ to Shah Alam and to Kelana Jaya before i return to USJ which take an approximate 30-35 Km Per day. I couldn't afford the GTO Fuel consumption anymore. It was te-rr-i-ble for that kind of situation. My Mazda Astina the head went bengkok already, so its already stay under the jambu tree for so long already. and the B6 also i just start it every weekend only just for the sake of warming up and i dont dare to do it anymore.Scary.

So moving on, i found a very interesting ad in the mudah which im not gonna post here, to cover up the guys face la...(i still have decency wei).. I found one car which really attracted me, the celica GT ST183 that came with a 3SGTE, its not something you could come across easily you know and it was in Melaka.. The best part was, i read the description and it was written CONVERSION MADE BY A TURBO EXPERT. So i thought that a turbo expert would be to as level with our ones here in Selangor. Besides that, there was another one in Johor selling at 24,000 while the Melaka was at 22,800. The Johor celica came with bodykits and all plus same 3SGTE inside, but the guy didnt post any pictures of engine bay nor the interior, so i had few doubts already. I humbly chose the one in Melaka and no bodykits or the car parts from the ST185.

I called the seller to inquire more information on the car and asking a few questions and of course ask pictures for the interior bay and also the interior. And the seller did send me, it was neat on the interior and the engine was a bit messy, but i was not a very negative guy, so i put in my mind, im sure i could put some effort and clean the mess in the engine bay. I am willing to put effort in the car that i truly love.

The next day i called the guy and told him, im coming down to Melaka to view the car and test drive it as well. The guy agreed and i literally went on to Melaka a few hours later that evening. And i reach Taman Merdeka with cash as much as 23,000 in my bag and a big smile on my face. The first thing i check with his TRUSTED mechanic not mine,was the engine bay which really was a bit of a let down because the mechanic is like just doing a cincai work, the big hose from the AFM sensor then theres suddenly a huge stuff poke inside it and cover up with black tape, the alternator was covered with just aluminium foil because it was so close to the engine and the wiring had too many by pass. Coz when i asked, 'why is this not connecting with anything?' He replied 'Oh coz i bypass'. i asked again 'How about this one?'. He answered 'Bypass also'. I was like bloody hell, but nevermind, i know i could re do it again. Move on to the interior, the interior was nice..very nice.. except the dashboard from the ST185 was not installed in the ST183 perfectly. Got bump a bit la in the middle panel. And the aircond fins some of it gone already. I still try to be positive and think that, i could find that parts. POSTIVE ME HUH?!

Then i check the body, theres no accident or major accident ever occur as the chassis was still perfect and theres no sign of ketuk ever happen. EXCEPT, the passanger side of the bumper was heavily scratched, it must have grinded with something. And when i ask, why wasnt this one in the picture, the mechanic told me 'Oh it happen few days ago..'. What made it worst besides that answer was i saw the scratch or crack was just covered up with black spray. =.=
Oh well nevermind, i will spray the whole body again. Just close one eyes la..

Then when it comes to testdrive, the car wouldnt live unless you press the accelerator a bit, if u let go, the engine dies, therefore, the testdrive couldnt happen on that day. Why? The mechanic told me that it was either the TPS problem or AFM problem which cause it that way.. Since i have no experience in Toyota Turbos especially twin entry before, i was like ,'oh ok'. I put down the deposit after the price was finally set at 20,000 and agreements on both side due to the problem. I put the deposit after that.

So i went back to Subang Jaya.. and empty handed too.. Disappointed abit but at least happy when theres someone to fix it up for us.

Three days passed by i receive a call saying that the car is done and could be taken home, i was so happy during that time, i rushed to Melaka at 11PM at nite with my friend to take the car home, and when i reach there,as usual i went for a test drive and the handling was a bit cacat due to the viscous coupling 2 way LSD full lock. i ask why is the handling that way, when it comes to U TURNS one of the front tire lock fully and skided for a second, then he say because it was suppose to be 4WD drivetrain and he couldnt find the rear axle and longshaft to do it, therefore he had to lock the front well up to make it drivable. I was again like 'oh i see'. Okay then, im taking it home, so i paid the full amount and then i move on. Halfway, the engine can only rev up to 2000RPM before the engine had its fuel cut. It means i cannot go above 2000RPM. I WAS STUCK! my friend went out and ask why and both of us were scared because it was a long bloody dark road with only lorries passing by in 3AM in the morning. No road street light also! FARK. I called up the mechanic and ask why is this happening, he came down as fast as he could and then he told me the AFM sensor problem again, i was like 'shit!'. So the car cannot be brought back that night as well.. return to the workshop and came back to Selangor as usual empty handed. I called up the owner had a bit of an argument as because i went there twice and return with nothing. After a bit of a hoo hah, he agreed to sent the car the next morning. I was delighted, no need waste my time.

The next morning, he send me the car at 11AM, i was shocked and he told me everything was fixed, before he left i took another one test drive, and everything was okay.. the engine was running well but i noticed the internal wastegate didnt have the sound like it used too.. Forget to ask, i said okay he can go because he was in a hurry anyway.
I was happy to have my celi with me now, so i drove it gently for a spin, and then i head this:
'KLUK KLUK KLUK KLUK KLOK KLOK KLUK' near the right tyre, i was like ' wtf is the problem now..' after i that i straight away took it to the workshop that belongs to a friend of mine, and i cancel out the whole day appointment that i had even valuable clients. Then i told him what happen.
He took down the gearbox then we know that the LSD was broken. Pecah already. Haih.. I was sooooooooooooo disappointed. I ask myself, did i make a bad choice.. The more i go through the car as detail as possible, the more problem i found out.

I listed down all the problems here:
-Left handside indicator, the small one, not working.
-One of the brake lights is out.
-AFM sensor die already causing the wastegate not to open. Thats why theres no BOV-sort-of-sound. The sensor cannot detect the surge of air that went it, therefore no reading means no need to open the wastegate. Due to this i lost power and the boost was only at 0.2 bar at most instead of standard 0.7 bar.
-LSD Pecah on the first day it was officially mine. FIXED
-Throttle Positioning Sensor also problem causing bad air flow and if i turn on the air cond, gone case engine dies out.FIXED
-Engine cannot disperse heat that well mainly because it was packed and badly done engine bay plus the hood is ST183 and not St185, no scoop or vents at all.
-Brake lines or hose may be leaking on the right side of the car as there are fluid on the rims.FIXED
-Wiring is bad because too many bypass.
-Left fender was heavily scratched and cover up with spray only.
-idling was shitty at 700-900 RPM,one mistake die.FIXED
-Left side of the hood out of position as the gap was obviously different.
-Alternator was badly cover up with adequate protection
-Sunroof panel..oh my god.. no eyes see la..cabut here and there.
-The power steering fluid is leaking. FIXED
-The brake line was leaking too. FIXED
-Driveshaft oil seal was out due to the broken drivetrain.FIXED
-THE BLOODY OWNER/MECHANIC LIED TO ME! The brakes was standard ST183 Single Pot, they didn't take the 2 POT ST185 brakes! (Errr..dunno wanna say fixed or not)

I paid RM20,000 and this is what i get... I HAVE TO BUY AN MR2 GEARBOX BECAUSE OF THIS WHICH COST ME RM2400!! And i was stupid to buy that guy story about having too many cars la bla bla bla, and phobia of accident bullshits! No wonder my BS sensor didnt came up! AHHHH!!!
Plus there are more to pay for as u can see how many problem. Maybe i have to plonk in another 8000 to replace this and that. And the whole bloody price is 28,000!
Becareful everyone..please take my story as a lesson.. its painful one...

Thank You,
Ryuuken

*No emoticon,too tired and stress out*

Last edited:

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
My car is just the same as ur name wei stupidcar..haih..I feel sad..I feel terrible and I feel cheated.. I put in so much effort to get the car that I want..I went to Melaka without complaining to get things done.. I went down wei.. Please la..you wanna sell a car,I'm not expecting a super excellent condition no scratch engine made out of titanium or something. All I'm asking for is just please,if u wanna sell a car..then do it right..make sure everything is in hand and in RUNNING condition..I'm not a guy with too much expectations..I rely on my own most of the time.its just running condition I ask for,not perfect also nevermind ma.. But this one is so costly to fix and its not easy to find..example the roof panel,maybe I have to mod it u know..I ask mun lee chop shop..they don't have that thing..I don't know how to describe my feelings d..

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
My car is just the same as ur name wei stupidcar..haih..I feel sad..I feel terrible and I feel cheated.. I put in so much effort to get the car that I want..I went to Melaka without complaining to get things done.. I went down wei.. Please la..you wanna sell a car,I'm not expecting a super excellent condition no scratch engine made out of titanium or something. All I'm asking for is just please,if u wanna sell a car..then do it right..make sure everything is in hand and in RUNNING condition..I'm not a guy with too much expectations..I rely on my own most of the time.its just running condition I ask for,not perfect also nevermind ma.. But this one is so costly to fix and its not easy to find..example the roof panel,maybe I have to mod it u know..I ask mun lee chop shop..they don't have that thing..I don't know how to describe my feelings d..
Why don't you go straight to the owner's house and nego.

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
no pain no gain...
Exactly..and this is the pain I have to go through man..

@Stupidcar
I wish I could bro..But to come down to Melaka again..I think twice in a week had already delay my other jobs and appointment for my customers.. Therefore,I can't take the risk.. When the LSD pecah,and the wastegate didn't open,I've decided that's it la..I'm not gonna allow HIS mechanic to toych my car again..better I do myself man..the person that I know has a lot of experience and very particular..not somekind -baiki-use-tape sort of guy..

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Exactly..and this is the pain I have to go through man..

@Stupidcar
I wish I could bro..But to come down to Melaka again..I think twice in a week had already delay my other jobs and appointment for my customers.. Therefore,I can't take the risk.. When the LSD pecah,and the wastegate didn't open,I've decided that's it la..I'm not gonna allow HIS mechanic to toych my car again..better I do myself man..the person that I know has a lot of experience and very particular..not somekind -baiki-use-tape sort of guy..
Sell back to the damn owner lah. If its like this, your car is kinda fcked man.
Not trying to put you down.

synail

Known Member
May 13, 2004
Visit site
find other workshop rather than going down to melaka just to cover some damage with blacktape

a good lesson for those browsing for used car
looks can be decieving

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
I feel you bro. Is very sad bought this kind of lemon car. What I see is you were too rush when comes to car shopping especially sport car. Another problem might face is body part for this car not easy to find. Well, shit thing already happened, if you still value it then just repair phase by phase. Although is not cheap but end result will give you a big smile again. If the engine really got too many problem, I suggest you buy another half cut instead of trying to fix.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Sorry for your encounter bro...I have the same experience as you also bought a used car that has tons of problem that needed fixing. Stay firm there bro, I believe you can solve the problems 1 by 1.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Sometimes, the engine problems are not just mechanically, but electrically too.
Check out and sort out the wirings too.

Also, one needs to know realistically what to expect from a 23 years old car.
Sometimes, 10 years old car already koyak, what is more of a car exceeding 20 years now...

I am sure that any petrolheads in ZTH would agree that "playing" with cars are not for faint-hearted. Petrolheads do run into headaches and financial turmoils, complaint from spouse, etc. The journey for car enthusiasts are not smooth-paved road (reality TV however tend to make the car scene so sweet and nice).

Ryuuken, I know things look bleak judging from the car condition now. I don't think the problems you are facing is terminal. But with the right & positive (as you mentioned in this post) attitude, I am sure you would sort of the problem. Sooner or later.

If I may comment based on what you have written, your purchase of the celica was somewhat out of impulsivity.

just my 0.0005 cents worth.

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
Here i'll attach some of the pictures when i went down to the workshop today...as you all can see the LSD was broken, the AFM sensor was taped with white tape not black. Lower class =.=... And theres update to the problem.
-The power steering fluid is leaking
-The brake line was leaking too
-Driveshaft oil seal was out due to the broken drivetrain.
-THE BLOODY OWNER/MECHANIC LIED TO ME! The brakes was standard ST183 Single Pot, they didn't take the 2 POT ST185 brakes!

If anyone have 2-4 POTS brake wanna sell up which fits with this car, do tell me.. more than happy to view and perhaps more chances to buy. Coz i wanna go Puspakom for inspection soon. My friend says he cannot help me that much if the braking power isn't sufficient.

@Hon_CS.
Well as far as we go, the problem is still considered moderate not critical. But the deeper i go.. the more problem i found out =.=...
Let us pray that we do not need the half cut just yet..hahhaha..coz i found one!

@Synail
That's why i chose to just take it with me and not to ask that mechanic to do it for me anymore.. don't like cincai jobs man..

@TitanRev
SIFUUU!! why la this happen to me.. i feel down you know.. my love for this car is slowly dispersing away when more and more problem came to me...

@Ken Yeang
Yeah.. i wanna solve it as fast as i could.. coz i cannot, i repeat, i cannot take the FC of the GTO anymore.. 30 ringgit per day can cost me to die... i wanna stick to RM15 per day like my mazda astina used to be...

And anyone..i'm actually looking for:
-A better radiator (preferably still shiny not black already)
-ST185 Hood with scoops and vents
-2 or 4 POTS brakes with bracket and hose.
-ST185 good condition bumper.
-Few steel pipes or hose because i wanna redirect the air to few parts of the engine.

Attachments

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Ryuuken,

The RM30 petrol consumption is indeed high. Nevertheless, I hope the workshop you sent your car to be able to fix the problem...

Normally, if the car is transplanted with a 3sgte engine, then it should comes together with their correct suspension, brakes too from st185.

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
Aha!
So now I know why the suspesion changed to adjustable.. -_-

mc888

Known Member
Apr 8, 2010
Little HK
For sure there must be some 'fixing' needs to be done after buying the car.

But how come you didnt drive it harder during the test drive? If it's a ailing car, the price should be lower.

If the problem can be solved with money, it's not really a problem..:biggrin: just need to work harder.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

all sifus, i just got a 97years car and the stickers are alreayd there... i was trying to remove it with make it wet and try to remove it... but it seems very hard ...

especially the rear screen ... it sticked there and i wonder if i try to remove it .. would it spoit the "heat" line ???

:( help ..... is there any "good" way for this ..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience