B8 Passat 380TSI or F32 428i Coupe?

mabah

Jan 27, 2009
thanks all. Both cars have their fair shares of problems. Thats why such dilemma exists ;)

As to why these 2 cars are compared side by side because both of them can actually ferry more than 2 people. While Passat can ferry more than 2 people comfortably, the 4 series coupe do likewise in a passable manner.
I am an owner of B8 380tsi, so far after owning it for 3 years, no major problem (touchwood), it can be a family car without people at the back complaining with a huge boot space, and its a no slouch I can tell you, well maybe cant beat 0-100 of a BMW but then you cannot have a perfect car. So far no DSG complain I heard of even from fellow friends who own it, maybe because of the wet clutch. If you don't trust the SC theres a plenty of reputable outside workshop that can do a VW. Anyway its up to you really. Cheers

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
I am an owner of B8 380tsi, so far after owning it for 3 years, no major problem (touchwood), it can be a family car without people at the back complaining with a huge boot space, and its a no slouch I can tell you, well maybe cant beat 0-100 of a BMW but then you cannot have a perfect car. So far no DSG complain I heard of even from fellow friends who own it, maybe because of the wet clutch. If you don't trust the SC theres a plenty of reputable outside workshop that can do a VW. Anyway its up to you really. Cheers

thanks for the update! Do Vagteknik and dubwerkz belong to the category reputable 3rd party workshop?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So far from what I heard, the GB problems are from the 7 speed dry clutch. 6 speed wet clutch seems to be okay.......lol

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Whatever brand of DCT, it must be wet clutches for longevity. Dry clutch for high torque application is what started off the DCT "pandemic" in the first place. You won't see much complaint on wet clutch DCT.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I don't doubt what you say at all, as it is a wet clutch unit. Why don't you share your experience with VW MY service? Be it your routine servicing or any claims. That would be helpful information.

mabah

Jan 27, 2009
thanks for the update! Do Vagteknik and dubwerkz belong to the category reputable 3rd party workshop?
I have been to Vagteknik at Balakong, excellent service but never tried Dubwerkz, but I heard they are good.

mabah

Jan 27, 2009
I don't doubt what you say at all, as it is a wet clutch unit. Why don't you share your experience with VW MY service? Be it your routine servicing or any claims. That would be helpful information.
So far I have claimed only the door handle, which the surface peel off (most of the first batch experience this). Routine service was not a problem in SC. However if you complaining about rattling sound etc, then you would be disappointed.Anyway in Klang valley, one or two SC is closing down such as WH in balakong and HiCom in Semenyih. But then again there is plenty of third party workshop that can do better than SC.(If your not claiming for warranty)

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So far I have claimed only the door handle, which the surface peel off (most of the first batch experience this). Routine service was not a problem in SC. However if you complaining about rattling sound etc, then you would be disappointed.Anyway in Klang valley, one or two SC is closing down such as WH in balakong and HiCom in Semenyih. But then again there is plenty of third party workshop that can do better than SC.(If your not claiming for warranty)
Yah, quite a few VW centers closed dy. PJ one I think was Federal Auto also closed.....

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
All Senpais,

Which is the way to go for my selections of cars, B8 Passat 380TSI (new) or F32 428i coupe (2nd hand) having priced very similar at RM 158k?

I am rather torn in between 2 due to the fact that I love the DSG experience on the Pasat while wide track rear wheel drive machine is highly desirable as well. Additionally, the N20 engine on the beemer seems to have some issues with oil drip head gasket and timing chain guide which are rather a concern to me.

Hence, I appreciate all your insights
depends what you value more, the provided choices are almost 2 different animals.
both cars will have their fair share of cons, although the new VW will stay healthy for longer in comparison
how do you see yourself using the car, weekly spirited drives? are you comfortable with occasional workshop visits for used car upkeep duties?
if you can provide more information, the guys here can help you decide better

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
depends what you value more, the provided choices are almost 2 different animals.
both cars will have their fair share of cons, although the new VW will stay healthy for longer in comparison
how do you see yourself using the car, weekly spirited drives? are you comfortable with occasional workshop visits for used car upkeep duties?
if you can provide more information, the guys here can help you decide better
Sure Tom.

Passat 380tsi is 2019 manufactured (RM 155k) while the F32 428i (RM 153k) is 2014 manufactured

1) daily driving with 2-3 persons, single man.
2) occasional workshop visits are factored in when Beemer was shortlisted. (but lets hope it is not as bad as Banyak Makan Wang which is mentioned by many especially with the N20 engine).
3) the DSG experience in the Passat while the RWD in the Beemer are priceless.
4) I am okay with both rides, just that information of what comes after is fairly fragmented or scanty especially with Beemer
5) I have test driven both cars more than 3 rounds yet I still cannot make up my mind.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Sure Tom.

Passat 380tsi is 2019 manufactured (RM 155k) while the F32 428i (RM 153k) is 2014 manufactured

2) occasional workshop visits are factored in when Beemer was shortlisted. (but lets hope it is not as bad as Banyak Makan Wang which is mentioned by many especially with the N20 engine).
4) I am okay with both rides, just that information of what comes after is fairly fragmented or scanty especially with Beemer
5) I have test driven both cars more than 3 rounds yet I still cannot make up my mind.
If after driving still cannot decide how about the appearance factor? Single guy in the BMW should look more cool and attractive to the ladies. Passat is an uncle looking car.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Sure Tom.

The Passat will provide a supreme daily ride quality, likely better than the BM. moreover an aged one. It'll do all the practical stuff better than the BM. But the Passat is the more conventional car here. Brilliant executive-ish car but no doubt conventional, when compared to the BM 4 door coupe. If your situation requires or if you're fussy about buying something dependable, the new VW is the wiser choice and you probably shouldn't buy the BM.

But as you've mentioned in your points you're ready for the workshop duties, I think you'd survive the BM tantrums. Of course there are horror stories, but there are many who've had worthwhile experience with their BMs as well. If you are comfortable financially and have strong desire for the BM experience, give it a chance.

Try to secure a longer drive if you can, especially the BM, to see if you really like it before deciding

Reactions: DNGFashion

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

to all those sifu out there just wanna ask u guys .. wheter a W124 260E benz can fit a supercharger with its stock engine ??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience