Ariel Atom gets a rework by German tuner Wimmer

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

Colin Chapman had it right by cutting weight and the Ariel Atom is one of the best possible examples of that in these times.

Weighing in at next to nothing, just an extra handful or horses on one of these would go a long way in terms of performance. That’s precisely what German tuner Wimmer RS had in mind with their performance kit for the Atom 3.

The standard 2-liter four-banger Honda mill pushes out 296hp, quite a figure for the Atom 3 that weighs in at [strike]just over a ton at1,034kg[/strike] 469kg! . Wimmer’s kit bumps up power to 336hp and torque to 282Nm.

All that is done by means of an ECU remap, reworked turbo, a sports exhaust and a larger capacity fuel pump for added go-juice.

With just those minor mods, the Atom 3’s century sprint is dealt with in 2.8-seconds and will reach 200km/h in just 7.1-seconds. That’s definitely hypercar performance in something that lacks doors and a roof over its bare frame tube chassis with internal shock absorbers.

Source: WorldCarFans

Attachments

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
The standard 2-liter four-banger Honda mill pushes out 296hp, quite a figure for the Atom 3 that weighs in at just over a ton at 1,034kg. Wimmer’s kit bumps up power to 336hp and torque to 282Nm.
Dinesh, Atom doesn't weight over 1000kg and heavier than my car. Those weight numbers you posted are in pounds, not kg. That would make it porkier than the new lotuses.

Last edited:

Dougster

Known Member
Jul 17, 2004
Kay Elle...
members.cardomain.com
Dinesh, Atom doesn't weight over 1000kg and heavier than my car. Those weight numbers you posted are in pounds, not kg. That would make it porkier than the new lotuses.

Good spot... correct weight figure in kilograms is about 610kg
And a car that weighs in "just over a tonne" can't really be labeled as "weighing next to nothing"

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
And don't forget, Colin Chapman would turn over in his grave with that kind of weight for a stripped down 'sports car'. (I reluctantly call the atom a sports car, since it lacks proper body panels)

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
That's prolly because the Atom was pitted against a bike before, Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson.

YouTube - Top Gear - Ariel Atom - BBC

Can't make it an obvious plagarism. :P

Gotta love the supercharger whine.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Just found out the price for an Atom 3
almost USD50K! but I don't think it'll be allowed for use on the road in Malaysia.

Last edited:

Dougster

Known Member
Jul 17, 2004
Kay Elle...
members.cardomain.com
Oh yea i remember the Top Gear feature on the Atom... "I AM AN ALIEN!"

And yes, nothing quite like the whine of a Supercharger :)

Anyway, hopefully Dinesh corrects that little inaccuracy.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The new Audi A6 has been around for a while now and Audi decides to launch the iconic Avant version, which is the most successful business-class station wagon in Europe. The new Audi is filled with technological marvels. Its lightweight body, large portions of which are made of aluminum, sets new standards, as does the wide selection of assistance and multimedia systems through the use of Audi connect. The...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience