air intake question...

evoX2

1,000 RPM
May 11, 2005
KCH
Hi,

i know this question been asked many times, but i need to clearify something.

For auto car using drop in filter better than open port?? What is CAI in open port??

My engine vtec sohc auto, so which one should i go?
Beside changing air intake, what else i need to change for increase in pick up?? I just want a little more pick up not loud muffler to show off..

Btw, changing air intake and exhuast system will increase in FC??

open port must go with heat shield? If not suck in all the engine hot air also no use?

thanks!

Last edited:

evoX2

1,000 RPM
May 11, 2005
KCH
just wonder if keeping the stock filter box with drop in filter, it is also sucking up the hot air from the environment as well?

With a heat shield cover up open port filter, then where is the air come from? will it end up like in a filter box?

What will the performance between Apexi Power Flow with heat shield and K&N drop in for my car?

differ

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Petaling Jaya
danielczh.multiply.com
evoX2 said:
Hi,

i know this question been asked many times, but i need to clearify something.

For auto car using drop in filter better than open port?? What is CAI in open port??

My engine vtec sohc auto, so which one should i go?
Beside changing air intake, what else i need to change for increase in pick up?? I just want a little more pick up not loud muffler to show off..

Btw, changing air intake and exhuast system will increase in FC??

open port must go with heat shield? If not suck in all the engine hot air also no use?

thanks!
not sure about which is good for your car but...

Open Pod Filters = those Mushroom shaped filters you come across, higher air intake volume than your stock Drop-In Pod filters. but i think there is actually some legality issues with Open Pod in Malaysia, something to do with emissions i think.

CAI or Cold Air Intake is basically a kit, either DIY or aftermarket, that assists in drawing in cooler outside air into the filter rather than the hotter engine-bay air. most DIY is just a 3" hose and a heatshield. the heatshield is like you already know, to reduce sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

on Fuel Consumption it's very subjective to a lot of other factors. but if you stick to an assumption that your car constantly running on optimal AF ratio, then yeah lor, of course fuel consumption will increase slightly, more air more fuel injected to maintain the ratio.

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
upgrading to a open pod air filters like the HKS SPF, Apexi Dual Funnel or the K&N types will have it's advantages. But when engine compartment temperature rises, your horses in your engine starts to be missing one by one. Heat is the enemy. But for normal morning market driving.. i suggest u to replace the original filter element to a better one. Open pod or not it's up to you.

More air more fuel of coz = more power.

But IMHO, open pod filters doesn't effect much on FC. It's your right leg that decides.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

helo POWERZONE,
i owned wira SE (non-rear brakedisc one), do i need to change to PZ xtractor? i've asked your dealer in miri (KM), and they said that i do not need to coz proton already tiru the PZ xtractor design in wira SE. a bit confusing to me.. hope to reply me ASAP..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience