Advice Needed bout bolt-on

jep3003

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2005
Helo everyone, im new here n i need sum advice. Im running a 94 civic n i jus bolted on a TD04 twin fin dis month. The internals, fuel supply n ecu r stil stock. I 1 2 of upgrading my fuel supply next but not sure wat is de best way. Its either changin all my injectors or jus add 1 or 2 injectors. I allready got an injector in my piping but not connectted yet. Got 2 find controller.

Which way shud i go? N at wat boost shud i b runnin 4 safety? Den afta dat, wat do u guys reccomend me upgrade next (ems,metal gasket or boost controller)? im on a tight budget cuz my single fin turbo jus pecah da other day n jus change 2 twin fin.

Tq... :smile:

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
IF you're on a tight budget, you shouldn't be running a turbo kit in the first place... be prepared to spend to get better reliability.

You should get bigger injectors and an engine management to control it. Doesn't matter if its piggy back or standalone (of course standalone is better lar), but make sure u're able to control BOTH fueling ANd ignition timing.

Perhaps u can opt for the Greddy E-manage... the piggy back ECU can be used to control extra injectors as well.

With stock internals u shouldn't be running any higher than 0.5 bar... if you get a thicker metal gasket would be better to lower your compression, then maybe i can run slightly higher boost, depending on how thick it is.

But anyway... concentrate on getting an engine management first... its your first priority right now to get a reliable system.

edit:
Oh... and while u're at it... join ROBOTS in the turbo section. Bolt on turbo owners section! kekeke..

Last edited:

jep3003

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2005
alvin24 said:
IF you're on a tight budget, you shouldn't be running a turbo kit in the first place... be prepared to spend to get better reliability.

You should get bigger injectors and an engine management to control it. Doesn't matter if its piggy back or standalone (of course standalone is better lar), but make sure u're able to control BOTH fueling ANd ignition timing.

Perhaps u can opt for the Greddy E-manage... the piggy back ECU can be used to control extra injectors as well.

With stock internals u shouldn't be running any higher than 0.5 bar... if you get a thicker metal gasket would be better to lower your compression, then maybe i can run slightly higher boost, depending on how thick it is.

But anyway... concentrate on getting an engine management first... its your first priority right now to get a reliable system.

edit:
Oh... and while u're at it... join ROBOTS in the turbo section. Bolt on turbo owners section! kekeke..

At 1st i ddnt 1 2 but somebody offered da whole kit wit piping n all 4 unda RM 1K so i took it. Wen i ws installing da kit, I ws trying 2 find a HKS AIC or a v-afc. Jus den i ws told dat da turbo ws already faulty.

So bck 2 da ting. AIC, v-afc, SMT or an E-manage. Which is da better choice 4 me cuz i 1 2 put metal gasket n a manual boost controller sum more.

jee_square

Known Member
Jun 16, 2005
Taman Melawati
I'm driving a satria 1.3 bolt on turbo.. I managed to custom a 2mm metal gasket and so far doing quite well.. I plugged in a set of 1.8 injectors and an adj fuel pressure regulator.. Currently boosting 0.3 bar with stock ECU.. Onlt problem is that the MAP sensor.. The check engine goes on when i exceed 110 km/h.. Change MAP sensor should solve this, but no money yet! :p Acceleration wise, its good.. Top end no good..

jep3003

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2005
jee_square said:
I'm driving a satria 1.3 bolt on turbo.. I managed to custom a 2mm metal gasket and so far doing quite well.. I plugged in a set of 1.8 injectors and an adj fuel pressure regulator.. Currently boosting 0.3 bar with stock ECU.. Onlt problem is that the MAP sensor.. The check engine goes on when i exceed 110 km/h.. Change MAP sensor should solve this, but no money yet! :p Acceleration wise, its good.. Top end no good..
What do u use 2 control boost? My car is auto so wenever boost 2 high i wud lps da gas. Where did u get da custom gasket? Wnted 2 chnge all my injectors 2 b16 or b18 ones but honda injectors ave resistors so pormen no sure can or cannot. So not sure wat 2 do.

jee_square

Known Member
Jun 16, 2005
Taman Melawati
I modified my actuator actually so i wont boost high.. anyway,a cheap way to control the boost is by using the tulang ikan thingy.. It tricks the actuator to open the wastegate more.. I got the custom gasket in subang.. my friend bought it for me actually, i'll ask him where exactly it is.. Just try la n fit in the injectors to find out..

jep3003

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2005
Thanks 4 askin your frn bout da gasket bro. Hw much did it cost u? Sory rite nw on a tight budget. If hard 2 find or custom da gasket, il jus stack a few gaskets 2 lower da compression. Im using da 'tulang ikan' thingy but can only lower my boost 2 0.6bars. Wat r u thinkin of doin next on your car?

karl_razlie

500 RPM
Apr 25, 2005
Puchong
jee_square said:

Bro why to change MAP SENSOR?? how much?

karl_razlie

500 RPM
Apr 25, 2005
Puchong
jee_square said:
I modified my actuator actually so i wont boost high.. anyway,a cheap way to control the boost is by using the tulang ikan thingy.. It tricks the actuator to open the wastegate more.. I got the custom gasket in subang.. my friend bought it for me actually, i'll ask him where exactly it is.. Just try la n fit in the injectors to find out..

bro where to get custom gasket?? can u ask ur friend, bcoz i need for my kelisa ...

jee_square

Known Member
Jun 16, 2005
Taman Melawati
Tulang ikan is for over boost, rite.. But my fren tried to reduce it by opening the actuator early.. He pumped in air using the vacuum gun and seal it.. I dunno how effective it is.. What i did was i bend the actuator lever, i straigthtened it abit and check the actuator opening with the vacuum gun.. much more of a trial n error thingy lah..

The custom metal head gasket costs me RM480... Its quite expensive.. Try surfing protonmania.com.. the guys there once told me they cud get a much cheaper price..

MAP sensor got to be changed because the stock can only read vacuum and not pressure.. It only goes up to 0 bar.. But changing MAP sensor also means, u got to rechip ur ECU.. Still dont have the budget for that..

jep3003

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2005
Joeker said:
Tulang ikan for lowering boost?

Usually it is used to over-boost.
Da tulang ikan lowered my boost frm 0.8 to 0.6. But goin 2 get a manual boost controller.

jep3003

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2005
jee_square said:
Tulang ikan is for over boost, rite.. But my fren tried to reduce it by opening the actuator early.. He pumped in air using the vacuum gun and seal it.. I dunno how effective it is.. What i did was i bend the actuator lever, i straigthtened it abit and check the actuator opening with the vacuum gun.. much more of a trial n error thingy lah..

The custom metal head gasket costs me RM480... Its quite expensive.. Try surfing protonmania.com.. the guys there once told me they cud get a much cheaper price..

MAP sensor got to be changed because the stock can only read vacuum and not pressure.. It only goes up to 0 bar.. But changing MAP sensor also means, u got to rechip ur ECU.. Still dont have the budget for that..

Gasket mahal la bro change my mind la. Goin 2 stack 3 gasket to get 1.5mm. Dat wud b gud enuf. Hw is your fuel consumption? Y do u ave 2 rechip your ecu wen changing ur map sensor?

Can anyone tell me da functions of da new HKS AIC plz???

jee_square

Known Member
Jun 16, 2005
Taman Melawati
Bro, listen to my advice.... Do NOT stack ur gaskets or u'll regret.. It can be done but it is not advisable.. You may result in compression leak.. Three gasket istoo risky la bro.. When u torque ur head, the gaskets compresses with each other.. The gasket will most likely break up and leaks appear..

The ECU must be rechipped coz the aftermarket MAP sensor is not meant for the standard ECU.. It wont give the correct reading..

Fuel consm. for now is quite terrible! Hehe. I havent get tuned perfectly yet, dont have the time for it yet :p

lilvee

Known Member
Feb 21, 2005
KL
Visit site
jee_square said:
Bro, listen to my advice.... Do NOT stack ur gaskets or u'll regret.. It can be done but it is not advisable.. You may result in compression leak.. Three gasket istoo risky la bro.. When u torque ur head, the gaskets compresses with each other.. The gasket will most likely break up and leaks appear..

The ECU must be rechipped coz the aftermarket MAP sensor is not meant for the standard ECU.. It wont give the correct reading..

Fuel consm. for now is quite terrible! Hehe. I havent get tuned perfectly yet, dont have the time for it yet :p
Jep... U can stack up ur gasket but not triple it. double is enough. Yours is already low comp.... Too low will efect your low end torque. Dun worry, honda OEM gasket already metal.. it wont break. Its holding 1bar with no problem. (its proven).

How u cut your boost? Stock honda ECU dun like boost, it will throw CEL light when map sensor detect boost and your car will run like a crabb/safe mode.

There is no Stand Alone fuel/ignition/boost management can control honda auto tranny... the best bet is using piggy back which have boost cut... u can run AFC or E-manage. Or if u like DIYer... u can chip or program ur stock ecu since ur running obd1 car...