150 cars stolen daily & Car thieves stay ahead with advanced technology

nitrous_o2

Known Member
Jun 10, 2006
Ipoh-JB-Vietnam
150 cars stolen daily
PETALING JAYA: An average of 150 vehicles are stolen a day in the country, with Proton and Perodua models topping the list of 112,503 whisked away since 2010.

Federal CID director Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Bakri Zinin said the high number of thefts was due to the demand not only for new but also old vehicles, which are cannibalised for their parts.

A total of 57,462 vehicle thefts were reported in 2010 while the number was 55,041 as of September 2011, he said.

He added: “There is a big demand for the stolen vehicles at construction sites in remote areas. Some are used in robberies and other criminal activities while certain models are exported overseas.

“We believe that vehicles like Toyota Hilux are stolen to feed the huge demand for four-wheel drives in the Middle East. We think that rebel forces use them to mount guns.”
Top Ten Vehicles Targeted
1)Proton Wira
2)Proton Saga
3)Proton Iswara
4)Perodua Myvi
5)Toyota Hilux
6)Toyota Fortuner
7)Toyota Alphard
8)Toyota Camry
9)Honda Civic
10)Honda City

Car thieves stay ahead with advanced technology

PETALING JAYA: Vehicle thieves are using high-tech gadgets to make swift and silent getaways.

Where they once used metal rods or rulers to disable a car's locking system before hot-wiring it, they now rely on high-tech gadgets that can deactivate an alarm and other security features to enable them to steal the vehicle in seven minutes on average.

CID director Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Bakri Zinin said syndicates were using computer harnesses which could be connected to a vehicle's diagnostic system.

“These hand-held devices look like video game consoles to the untrained eye, but they can immobilise a vehicle's alarm and other security features.

“The newer model cars are more vulnerable because they have computer boxes incorporated into their system,” he added.

Vehicle thefts are usually a combined effort by several syndicates, Comm Mohd Bakri said, and explained the stages:

“First, the thieves steal a targeted car and delivers it to a certain location.

“Then a driver takes it to a storage facility before it is either handed over to a freight forwarder or cannibalised for parts.

“The syndicates involved do not make any physical contact with each other when passing the car along.”

He said police had difficulty clamping down on the syndicates because they did not know each other.

Comm Mohd Bakri said the Bukit Aman Operations, Intelligence and Records division had compiled data on the methods the syndicates use to steal vehicles.

“Some of the syndicates target cars in parking lots. After breaking into a vehicle, they drive it bumper to bumper with their own car.

“This way they can use their parking ticket to get both vehicles out before the boom gate closes,” he said.

He added that there were also cases where syndicates rammed into a targeted car, and when the owner came out to inspect the damage, they jumped in and drove off with the vehicle.

taken from thestar

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
tahts freaking scary numbers.

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
what kind of hi-tech gadget they use to shut da alarm n whole other systems.any idea bro?:hmmmm2: PM me if its P n C..
Bro mustang, few years ago local immobilizer company demonstrated to me how stole a Myvi. Old Myvi dont have front bonnet sensor, they can pop up the bonnet and disable alarm by short one of the relay.

The best part is, they have their demo car park beside. Inside their car they have a gadget that can copy alarm remote straight away. Meaning, when I unlock my car, their car unlock too and vise versa.

What will happen when the thieve also got this gadget? :banghead:

Mat_Isam

Known Member
Nov 18, 2005
dont use alarm...just use old technique central lock....prepare your own mechanical gadjet
that can delay the thief work....steering lock, gear lock, pedal lock....and last thing that
i think is compulsory is hidden switch...make it 2 3 or 4...fuel pump, starter etc....unless they
tow your car...huhuhu....

bananastatio

Sep 18, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
dont use alarm...just use old technique central lock....prepare your own mechanical gadjet
that can delay the thief work....steering lock, gear lock, pedal lock....and last thing that
i think is compulsory is hidden switch...make it 2 3 or 4...fuel pump, starter etc....unless they
tow your car...huhuhu....
Is this possible? Sorry i am noob about car.

shah5755

Known Member
Apr 20, 2007
Pj....kch
proton and perodua considered as affordable so the demands of its spare parts still high...no wonder proton and perodua stays on top of the list compared to other models....don't know when these species will extinct from this world:banghead:
i do agree with suggestion here to find some other option instead of upgrading our alarm system...even more and more advance tech for alarm sytem still those bas@#%& can overcome it...

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
sommore if they are going to use a car for robbery, the most common car or nrmal looking car is the best choice.

and if they going to sell to the estates, these kind of normal cars are preffered choice as well

mustang125

Known Member
Aug 3, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
bro kim2kimi issit sumthing like OBD scanner(Wireless)?,issit possible for them to copy/trace da system codes of EVEN anti-thief tracking system using da wireless device?looking 4ward..

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

mat isam.if u dont mind,wat do u mean by hidden switch;make it 2 3 or 4...fuel pump, starter etc?

tiganasfx

Known Member
Dec 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Probably using some sort of RF Analyzer or RF Scanner i.e. "Code Grabbers" to extract and clone the code of your car alarm transmitter whenever you use it.

However most recent cars nowadays uses random rolling codes so the above should not happen unless they have been monitoring your car for a long time and are very determined.

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
what kind of hi-tech gadget they use to shut da alarm n whole other systems.any idea bro?:hmmmm2: PM me if its P n C..
You can get it on eBay. Not that expensive. Search for key programmer. Most of them connects to car OBD port. Usually need to do some "additional" stuff prior hand on the key hole when the thief does not have the original car keys. Don't need a rocket scientist to know how to do it but depends on skills and time. Those thieves are highly trained I guess.

Last time wife's friend father's S-class got stolen right in front of his eyes when he passed key to a car jockey. Thief pushed jockey off and drove car off immediately. Car was fitted with a remote immobilizer and tracking system. Friend's father called the car alarm company to immobilize the car which did happen within 10 mins. Car alarm company did confirm that car was not moving and immobilized but within minutes suddenly saw car moving again based on tracking system... then all tracking signal vanished. Car probably was in a steel container or probably there was a GSM/GPS signal jammer which is also easily obtainable. Dunno what happen after that. If people want to steal car, all the high tech stuff and gadgetry can only slow them down but not stop them.

Most car remote transmits the code at a fixed frequency of 315MHz or 433MHz. Very few at 2.4GHz. Those frequencies are the free band where no license is required for usage. So not so difficult to figure out what frequency to grab the code. Most modern cars use a code hopping type algorithm for the alarm even for Perodua cars. Usually Microchip Tech KEELOQ from what I've seen. There are also other systems. Catching the key sequence and decoding and anticipating the next code hope sequence is possible with newer high tech gadgetry and more powerful computers. More expensive alarm systems use more complex algorithms, frequency hopping, etc thus making it very hard to decode but not impossible. Cheap car alarm systems and even most house auto gate system usually use a fixed base code and frequency which is so easy to decode and replicate...

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Oh, yeah... for example a P2 car without immobilizer, to reprogram a new alarm transmitter FOB into the car system, turn key on-off 5x and lastly to on position. Can hear beep from alarm. Then press any button on the new alarm transmitter FOB for the system to register the key. Hot jumping the ignition is not that difficult. So you can imagine how easy it is to override the P2 car alarm. Higher end alarm systems uses bi-directional authentication between key fob and car alarm system to authenticate codes - code challenge, etc. That makes it very difficult but car can still be towed away, etc.

I would prefer low tech method of hidden key switch, alarm system an most of all be aware of your surroundings.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A car that's so beautiful and makes you feel so relaxed. This is the Acura TL, it's beautiful, elegant and featured-pack. With the Super AWD system, this car would be so perfect to drive. The Acura is a large luxurious sedan that is only sold in North America. Sadly we will never ever get this car in Malaysia. (Or maybe we will, in the guise of the Honda Legend) Check out the video...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience