Advise on Disc and Brake Pads

Senscents

Dec 5, 2019
Need recommandation and advise.
It's almost time for me to change my tyres, discs, and brake pads.
1) Do I need to redo alignment if I change my tyres then only later change the Disc & pads?
2) What Good/Reliable Brand of 320mm Ventilated Disc and Pads ?
3) Any shops or seller for the Disc and Pads?
4) Any work shops that perform runout check?
5) What else do I need to take into consideration?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Need recommandation and advise.
It's almost time for me to change my tyres, discs, and brake pads.
1) Do I need to redo alignment if I change my tyres then only later change the Disc & pads?
2) What Good/Reliable Brand of 320mm Ventilated Disc and Pads ?
3) Any shops or seller for the Disc and Pads?
4) Any work shops that perform runout check?
5) What else do I need to take into consideration?
1. Not necessarily. Just test first then only do alignment if you feel the streering not straight.
2. TRW, Showa, Brembo rotors if cheaper ones. More expensive are Dixcel, Project Mu, dba, etc2.
For pads, local made RS Pro or Trestor brand is cheap. Imported ones can be Advics, Brembo, Hawk, Ferrodo, Dixcel, Project Mu, Endless, Acre, etc2.
3. Can try contact Kent Goh from XD Auto in Kepong or Wyn Chai Idelube Sdn bhd in Jl. Ipoh.
4. What is runout?
5. Brake fluid?

Senscents

Dec 5, 2019
1. Not necessarily. Just test first then only do alignment if you feel the streering not straight.
2. TRW, Showa, Brembo rotors if cheaper ones. More expensive are Dixcel, Project Mu, dba, etc2.
For pads, local made RS Pro or Trestor brand is cheap. Imported ones can be Advics, Brembo, Hawk, Ferrodo, Dixcel, Project Mu, Endless, Acre, etc2.
3. Can try contact Kent Goh from XD Auto in Kepong or Wyn Chai Idelube Sdn bhd in Jl. Ipoh.
4. What is runout?
5. Brake fluid?
Thanks for your valuable input.
Would like to try Brembo, Project MU Endless but reading all the previous posts, it seems that most big brands has lots of fakes and cater for higher end cars.
I'm just having an normal D segment Korean car and it's time for replacement of wear and tear parts.
Hence hopping for some guidance before going in blindly.
As for Q4 - Referring to Rotor Run Out.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for your valuable input.
Would like to try Brembo, Project MU Endless but reading all the previous posts, it seems that most big brands has lots of fakes and cater for higher end cars.
I'm just having an normal D segment Korean car and it's time for replacement of wear and tear parts.
Hence hopping for some guidance before going in blindly.
As for Q4 - Referring to Rotor Run Out.
Just try find Trestor Blue Advantage, lots of good comments on it and price should be cheap. It's similar to Bendix if not mistaken but should be cheaper

Reactions: Senscents

Senscents

Dec 5, 2019
Since reading/scrolling thru the old posts on the disc and brake pads, it's over whelming with all sorts of info.
So i gather my thought and conclude the following;
1) Pricing, most important. As I do not know what the low and mid pricing. Say Rm1.5K for a pair of Disc and Brake Pads. would think of topping up slightly to max Rm2K.
2) Need Good/Reliable Product and Seller.
3) Trusted mechanic with proper tools for Rotor run out and others diagnostic deem necessary.
4) What else did I miss out ?

Thanks in advance to all sifu for your guidance.
ps; very hard to find info on Brembo, Project MU, Endless etc as to "Do they produce the Disc and Brake pads for Korean car"
So far only EBC that I see carry both the parts.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
As you are changing new tyres, don't skim on alignment, but if need to change disc and pads also can delay until after that is done. However do it soon, because if alignment is out it can wear your tyres pretty fast.
I am on Trestor Advantage , it has good bite and good stopping power, only thing it is very very dusty. One week and the wheel can be coated with brake dust. I manage to get one set for my Hyundai Sonata III, so should have for Korean cars....

Last edited:

Senscents

Dec 5, 2019
As you are changing new tyres, don't skim on alignment, but if need to change disc and pads also can delay until after that is done. However do it soon, because if alignment is out it can wear your tyres pretty fast.
I am on Trestor Advantage , it has good bite and good stopping power, only thing it is very very dusty. One week and the wheel can be coated with brake dust. I manage to get one set for my Hyundai Sonata III, so should have for Korean cars....
yes will do alignment with tyre change and thanks for suggesting.
Ohhh. Trestor Advantage seems garner lots of good review and lots of brake dust too.
I've just scroll thru the website and saw that they have quite a few grades of brake pads.

I'm pique with TRESTOR Metallic Plus and Deluxe Organic with a better specs.
Is it really a better or just a mild improvement over Advantage?
Anyone else tried it?

Last edited by a moderator:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yes will do alignment with tyre change and thanks for suggesting.
Ohhh. Trestor Advantage seems garner lots of good review and lots of brake dust too.
I've just scroll thru the website and saw that they have quite a few grades of brake pads.

I'm pique with TRESTOR Metallic Plus and Deluxe Organic with a better specs.
Is it really a better or just a mild improvement over Advantage?
Anyone else tried it?
I think you got it the wrong way. Deluxe Organic is entry level. Next up is Metallic Plus and highest is Advantage....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Since reading/scrolling thru the old posts on the disc and brake pads, it's over whelming with all sorts of info.
So i gather my thought and conclude the following;
1) Pricing, most important. As I do not know what the low and mid pricing. Say Rm1.5K for a pair of Disc and Brake Pads. would think of topping up slightly to max Rm2K.
2) Need Good/Reliable Product and Seller.
3) Trusted mechanic with proper tools for Rotor run out and others diagnostic deem necessary.
4) What else did I miss out ?

Thanks in advance to all sifu for your guidance.
ps; very hard to find info on Brembo, Project MU, Endless etc as to "Do they produce the Disc and Brake pads for Korean car"
So far only EBC that I see carry both the parts.
Budget 1.5k can get you pretty decent stuff. Just get Trestor Advantage, Hawk, or Advics pads with Shoji or TRW discs should be enough for that budget. Balance of your budget then can use to upgrade your brake fluids to dot 5.1 like Bendix or Motul 5.1.

Senscents

Dec 5, 2019
Budget 1.5k can get you pretty decent stuff. Just get Trestor Advantage, Hawk, or Advics pads with Shoji or TRW discs should be enough for that budget. Balance of your budget then can use to upgrade your brake fluids to dot 5.1 like Bendix or Motul 5.1.
Was quoted by SC ~Rm1.2K, might as well search else where for a aftermarket parts, hopefully a Trusted/Reliable Brand that lots of people have try-out.
Appreciate on your recommendation of various brands.
What about pairing different brands for Disc and Pad? Afraid of problems like squeaky sounds if not compatible.
What to choose for Disc? Standard, High Carbon, etc,etc,
What to choose for TRW Pads? Normal, Dtec

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Was quoted by SC ~Rm1.2K, might as well search else where for a aftermarket parts, hopefully a Trusted/Reliable Brand that lots of people have try-out.
Appreciate on your recommendation of various brands.
What about pairing different brands for Disc and Pad? Afraid of problems like squeaky sounds if not compatible.
What to choose for Disc? Standard, High Carbon, etc,etc,
What to choose for TRW Pads? Normal, Dtec
No issues mixing brands. All my cars have different ones between pads and discs.

For discs, TRW high carbon is good enough. I am using it now on my son's Swift for 3.5 years now. Good value for money. But TRW pads I used once on my previous Livina, not so good.

For cheap pads, in my Mark X I am using Dyco RS Performance made locally. At just around rm110/set, it' also good value for money.

Reactions: Senscents

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi I need some information.

I am actually looking for a 4g92 MIVEC engine. Can someone please tell me whats the rough estimation of the the cost.
I intend to upgrade my WIRA 1,5m yr 2000 model. Would I require authorization from JPJ and also do I require to change my current breaking system. At current moment my front breaks are Disc breaks and back breaks are drum breaks.

I also need to know..would this effect my car insurance and NCB..?

I hope all u "tai kor" can help me...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience