Dilemma: Inspira 2.0 or Cruze 1.8

drill

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Damansara
Guys,

Need some opinion. Recently I've test drive 2 cars. Both from the same manufacturing year, 2010. Proton Inspira 2.0 and Chevy Cruze 1.8.

Proton Inspira 2.0 premium 2010 - RM33K OTR
Chevrolet Cruze 1.8 LT Sport 2010 - RM23K OTR

Look wise, Inspira looks a bit sporty. Cruze is more elegant. I dont really mind the looks for both, looks good to me.

Interior, Inspira looks like a common car of that year of make. Cruze looks like a modern car. I mean in terms of the layout of the dashboard.

Revving at idle, Inspira throttle response is more responsive compare to Cruze. However, when in gear, initial acceleration, Cruze is much more better.

Gear shifting both are smooth in auto mode. In manual mode, Cruze lacks a bit of kick compare to Inspira (or maybe it was my imagination).

Steering response, in changing lanes and going between traffic, Inspira can be consider sharp. Cruze, hard to say, i made a u turn test while chit chatting with the salesman, i didnt realize that i already made out of the u turn. So not sure to say if the steering response for Cruze is sharper or it is simply very comfortable until i didn't realize.

Comfort in cabin. Cut short, Cruze wins. Seats are more ergonomic for the driver, no noise coming from outside. Inspira is just the opposite.

Boot space, Cruze wins.

Now is the part that i dont know.

Spare part price for both models.
Fuel consumption for both models.
Resell value for both models.

If only i can get this missing information, maybe it will really help me to decide.

Thanks.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It always depends on your major criteria. Is it Resale value? If yes, to me Proton should be easier to sell and have better value. If not, then see which you prefer driving. I rather drive something I love driving......lol

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Cruze got lots of problems with the cooling system. They used too much plastics and also the hoses seem undersized. I have driven the Cruze and yes the drivers seat is very well designed and the arm rest on the door is at the perfect height. I did not like the steering feel at 80kmh, it felt vague and too easy to turn.Body roll is quite well controlled, and NVH suppression is VERY good. Keep in mind that the climate control is built in to the head unit so If you wanna go aftermarket you wont know the temp or fan speed of the AC.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Cruze got lots of problems with the cooling system. They used too much plastics and also the hoses seem undersized. I have driven the Cruze and yes the drivers seat is very well designed and the arm rest on the door is at the perfect height. I did not like the steering feel at 80kmh, it felt vague and too easy to turn.Body roll is quite well controlled, and NVH suppression is VERY good. Keep in mind that the climate control is built in to the head unit so If you wanna go aftermarket you wont know the temp or fan speed of the AC.
Oh my, I know most have built in HU but together with air con......:smokin:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Guys,

Need some opinion. Recently I've test drive 2 cars. Both from the same manufacturing year, 2010. Proton Inspira 2.0 and Chevy Cruze 1.8.

Proton Inspira 2.0 premium 2010 - RM33K OTR
Chevrolet Cruze 1.8 LT Sport 2010 - RM23K OTR

Look wise, Inspira looks a bit sporty. Cruze is more elegant. I dont really mind the looks for both, looks good to me.

Interior, Inspira looks like a common car of that year of make. Cruze looks like a modern car. I mean in terms of the layout of the dashboard.

Revving at idle, Inspira throttle response is more responsive compare to Cruze. However, when in gear, initial acceleration, Cruze is much more better.

Gear shifting both are smooth in auto mode. In manual mode, Cruze lacks a bit of kick compare to Inspira (or maybe it was my imagination).

Steering response, in changing lanes and going between traffic, Inspira can be consider sharp. Cruze, hard to say, i made a u turn test while chit chatting with the salesman, i didnt realize that i already made out of the u turn. So not sure to say if the steering response for Cruze is sharper or it is simply very comfortable until i didn't realize.

Comfort in cabin. Cut short, Cruze wins. Seats are more ergonomic for the driver, no noise coming from outside. Inspira is just the opposite.

Boot space, Cruze wins.

If only i can get this missing information, maybe it will really help me to decide.

Thanks.
Why not open up your options wider instead of limiting to 2 cars only. If you are not afraid of heavy maintenance costs, with MYR 40,000 you can get a 2005-2008 European car.

Coming from an owner of "ACTUAL" Mitsubishi Lancer, the spare parts are not cheaper than the BMW E46 coupe that i am currently owning. And Lancer/Inspira engine and gearbox is inferior in performance compared to normal 4-6AT. This is a trade off for fuel efficiency and comfort.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Disclaimer : I dislike both cars. And I'm going to assume you're looking at Inspira 2.0 cvt which I seriously dislike. The 1.8 manual is equally horribly underpowered.

- Spare parts for Inspira/Lancer is pretty decent. Parts for any Chevy car in M'sia is going to be expensive and in worst case you need to wait for the order to arrive.

- Fuel consumption for both are ok for 2.0L cars. Expect 8-10km/L at best for City driving and 12-13km/L for highway.

- Resale value for both cars are bad. But the Chevy is worse.

Reactions: sanekit and Mitevo7

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Unless like me bought Sonata III, now having it for 16 years already no more value.......lol
Disclaimer : I dislike both cars. And I'm going to assume you're looking at Inspira 2.0 cvt which I seriously dislike. The 1.8 manual is equally horribly underpowered.

- Spare parts for Inspira/Lancer is pretty decent. Parts for any Chevy car in M'sia is going to be expensive and in worst case you need to wait for the order to arrive.

- Fuel consumption for both are ok for 2.0L cars. Expect 8-10km/L at best for City driving and 12-13km/L for highway.

Unless like me bought Sonata III, now after 16 years no more value........lol

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008

The Lancer/Inspira has a small cult in Malaysia, information sharing in problems, maintenance and spare parts will be quite easy. Where as Chevy, its too little for people to form a group, the chassis and parts is shared with German maker Opel, so majority of new parts, you will need to ship from Europe. Frankly speaking, of my 14 years of motoring, i barely see Opel on the road.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Between the two, con9lan7firm the Proton Inspira. My family have one.
1. 2012 car, no problem until today, just change engine oil, change spark plug, change air filter, change brake fluid, change brake pads... normal wear and tear problems.

2. Air con sibeh cold

3. Car sibeh noisy, no refinement at all.

4. Did I say the car is noisy? Yes the tyre roar resonates into the cabin due to stupid design where the wheel well acts like an amplifier.

I will not touch the Chevy at all. Maintenance is going to be hell with the scarcity of parts. I have one Suzuki Vitara at home and boy the parts also hard to find (relative to Perodua & Proton). Modifying a car is fun, maintaining a car is a PITA.

Personally if you want C-segment car, I'd look at a newer Preve, like a 2016 or 2017 car for the same budget. Still under warranty. And the cabin is definitely quieter than the Inspira, except the CVT being a bit noisy.

Reactions: sanekit and lsm1991

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
my only complaint bout the inspira is the crap nvh. tire noise is one thing, the wind noise is another one, adding seals to the edges of the doors and slapping on those sound dampening pads to the wheel wells seems to help.

power wise oklah can pakai.

** one other complaint, the seats.... maybe its just me but i get back aches on long journeys.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
my only complaint bout the inspira is the crap nvh. tire noise is one thing, the wind noise is another one, adding seals to the edges of the doors and slapping on those sound dampening pads to the wheel wells seems to help.

power wise oklah can pakai.

** one other complaint, the seats.... maybe its just me but i get back aches on long journeys.
Get Recaro from the Evo X

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Between the two, con9lan7firm the Proton Inspira. My family have one.
1. 2012 car, no problem until today, just change engine oil, change spark plug, change air filter, change brake fluid, change brake pads... normal wear and tear problems.

2. Air con sibeh cold

3. Car sibeh noisy, no refinement at all.

4. Did I say the car is noisy? Yes the tyre roar resonates into the cabin due to stupid design where the wheel well acts like an amplifier.

I will not touch the Chevy at all. Maintenance is going to be hell with the scarcity of parts. I have one Suzuki Vitara at home and boy the parts also hard to find (relative to Perodua & Proton). Modifying a car is fun, maintaining a car is a PITA.

Personally if you want C-segment car, I'd look at a newer Preve, like a 2016 or 2017 car for the same budget. Still under warranty. And the cabin is definitely quieter than the Inspira, except the CVT being a bit noisy.
Your cantonese game is strong ! Con9Lan7Firm.

7 years car, yet no issue on motor mounts ? My 11 years old Lancer GT changed a lot of stuffs already

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Your cantonese game is strong ! Con9Lan7Firm.

7 years car, yet no issue on motor mounts ? My 11 years old Lancer GT changed a lot of stuffs already
driven by uncle, who drives like an uncle. And mostly highway mileage.

drill

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Damansara
Thanks guys.
Ive dump the thought of chevy.
But now got dilemma coz got people racun me with airtrek turbo. Hahahahha...
Actually my loan for inspira 2.0 has been approved. But, turns out to be not as what thw salesman claim. He said can go 8 years. But i got 6 years. Its not me, but the car's age. So can only get 6 years. As of that, the monthly will be more than what i budget.

So, got the idea of getting airtrek turbo. I can get smaller loan amount (not auto loan) + cash. The monthly will be a lot lower, but scared as some other people say the fc is high. But then again, got some people say the fc will be on par with inspira.

If its only for me... I just go for wira 1.6 auto. Hehehe... But its gonna be my wife's daily car (only go fetch kids from school) and balik kampung car, so need to find something nice for me and her.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

3.24% at best. lol. I’m sure removing your spare tire (either in the boot or on your belly) would net 3.24% faster acceleration as well.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience