What makes a car - a car? How do you choose one

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
What makes a car special to me?

- Looks? Of course! I have to like the look, either sedan, sports coupe, or even hatchback but no tall cars and it has to have good proportion where it doesn't look bulky/fat, meaning it looks more wide and low than tall (that's why I don't like Lancer Evo X). It also must have a clean straight body line, not broken up with too many cuts (that's why I don't like the Enzo or FK8R!). I don't like nose designs that look like gaping open mouth with no teeth as well, for example R35, the newer Lexus designs, again the Evo X! They just look damn ugly to me. I also don't like it too big. D-segment size is about the biggest I'd get, ideally a C-segment. That's why I don't like the trend of cars getting bigger and bigger.

- How it drives? Absolutely! It must have decent, responsive handling and good stability at high speeds. That's why I don't like big and heavy cars. Responsive transmission is also important, manual even better provided the gear shift is precise and the pedal positions are nicely aligned, unlike Avanza or Vios for example where the gas and brake pedals are too far apart and not level, just lousy!

- Power and torque? I'm not too obsessed with big power coz it won't be much useful anyway, at least for my average driving skill. What's important is driveability, not huge but peaky power band. My target ideally is around 300+hp/400+NM on wheel for a C/D-segment size. Or at least decent power to weight ratio, so if something smaller like just a 1 ton or lighter then even under 150hp can be enough provided got good handling. (Example my son's Swift Sport).

-NA/Turbo/SC etc? Hmm not really that important as long as it can give what I want. Unfortunately due to stupid MY tax regulation, smaller engines with turbo seems to be the best choice. If not for that, I'd probably inclined a bit towards bigger size engines like between 3-4ltr 6-8 cylinders but again not so important. Currently my target is a 2.0T though, seems bored now with NA.

- Poster dream cars? Used to dream on Ferraris/Lambos etc2. but not so much anymore coz they're actually rather useless and I will never get to own one.

- It's also a plus point for me if the car is not too common on the road, so a bit unique, and not everyone can appreciate the combination of all its qualities.

In summary, it has to be quite fun to drive, looks decent, practical for daily drive, and have some rather unique qualities where not many would buy/own.

Some examples of special cars to me:
- 4G63T Lancer Evos. Because it represents the best bang for the buck with great performance yet combined with reasonable practicality. It's the best Mitsu ever and probably the best 4 cylinder engine ever made too. It's giant killer and no other car at that price point (when new) can match its performance. WRX is close but no cigars and they don't look as good.
- AMG CLA/A45. To me this is the modern replacement of Evo, similar brutal qualities but in much more modern packaging and now with the prestige to boot, yet also still excellent performance value for money and that AMG badge! This is the car that gave birth to the hyper hatch class.
- AMG E & C classes and BMW M3 & M5 sedans, because they represent the complete package of luxury, performance, handling, practicality, and prestige at the highest level. It's the perfect combo of luxury sedan and supercar in 1, like having your cake and eat it too. If I were to get filthy rich, these are the sort of car I'd buy first, not so much on Ferraris/Lambos.
- Mitsubishi Galant VR4 with 6A13TT. IMHO the second best Mitsu car ever, looks great and mean, available in manual, very fast too with AWD, yet practical 4 door comfortable sedan. It's the poor men's version of AMG & M power super sedans.
- Toyota Mark X GRMN, the only Mark X available in manual 6 speed, with 3.5ltr 310HP engine, LSD, big brakes, and tuned for sporty driving. Again great combo of fast performance and practicality, bullet proof Toyota reliability and that nice, aggressive look.
- Suzuki Swift Sport. Really fun car to drive, a true pocket rocket that can surprise many bigger and more expensive cars. Probably the best car Suzuki ever made. The fact that it's a common car yet rather rare in Malaysia makes it better for me.
- Honda S2000, sexy looking sport convertible, nice 6 speed manual, RWD, 9000rpm screamer in a light chassis.

As for my Mark X, well its a bit special because it's the only RWD Japanese car with 6 speed and 200+hp available here that I like with good reliability. The only other options was only the Skyline 250 which I don't like and too rare, and the E90 325i which I don't quite like, too common and nowhere near the reliability. It also looks unique with that swooping hoodlines down to the bumper, the peanut style headlights, sleek body line, and integrated twin exhaust tips into the bumper. What prevents it from being truly special is the rather sluggish auto, lousy stock brakes, and not so powerful. It's still an excellent car for daily drive though.

Reactions: Izso

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
One more thing, there's a saying that a car is special to you if you often take a glance back at it while you're leaving it behind at the parking spot. If you often do that, then you have chosen a somewhat special car for you. If you don't then it's not a special car to you. :)

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka

This is what makes the Pajero a car to me. Its able to do that without major mods, i am armed with parang and AT tires and lots of courage..its unknown area, road, terrain, everything.

I was never a fan of big 4x4 but the Pajero change me. Its not fast, not comfortable, high fc but i like it.

The road where we come from. Driving in on my right are hills and on my left are ravine at abt 20ft. Forget normal road driving approach, trust people around u as most of the time i dont know how much gap i got on the left. At one time my co pilot said i have 2m but from what i see it was abt 2 ft only.

If with cars there is eco/entry tire, mid range, hp tire, and uhp. For 4x4 (not suv so i exclude hp tire), there is HT (hihgway terrain), AT ( all terrain ), then MT ( mud terrain). I am on Hankook Dynapro AT. There is extreme tire where offroader call 'tayar lipan' its like a slicks category on road cars.

We spent quite some time in the jungle but i did not take other pic as offroading takes your mind off everything...the Pajero plays major part in thay so its more than just a car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Izso and vr2turbo

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What were some of the mods for this Saga FLX 1.3?
All here : http://racenotrice.com/titanrevdiysaga.html

Thats it. Make an offer to your fren. Buy that saga. Its the one you drove when you delivered the penrite ATF to me right ?
yeah.. and it's not for sale. HAHAHA

@gunnerzz I'm a hiker.. I go gunung hiking and all that. And hikers don't like off-roaders like you cuz your cars destroy and pollute the pristine environment.... hahahah :biggrin: But the same can be said about de-cat cars. Oh well. Why do you go off-road so much anyway?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
All here : http://racenotrice.com/titanrevdiysaga.html

yeah.. and it's not for sale. HAHAHA

@gunnerzz I'm a hiker.. I go gunung hiking and all that. And hikers don't like off-roaders like you cuz your cars destroy and pollute the pristine environment.... hahahah :biggrin: But the same can be said about de-cat cars. Oh well. Why do you go off-road so much anyway?
Because its addictive and feels more satisfying compared to carving corner on perfect surface.
Its Man + Machine + Nature.

I dont do much actually, fuel cost is high. Last week trip cost 1/4 tank of fuel and its less than 60km ( offroad + on road ).

We dont destroy the environment lah, notice the road we drives in? If u are there u will barely notice there is a road there. Furthermore we never rev above 2k rpm which is much lower compared to what most of us revved on the road...hihihi

Reactions: Izso

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Because its addictive and feels more satisfying compared to carving corner on perfect surface.
Its Man + Machine + Nature.

I dont do much actually, fuel cost is high. Last week trip cost 1/4 tank of fuel and its less than 60km ( offroad + on road ).

We dont destroy the environment lah, notice the road we drives in? If u are there u will barely notice there is a road there. Furthermore we never rev above 2k rpm which is much lower compared to what most of us revved on the road...hihihi
You rev higher become rally already......hhahahhahaha

Reactions: gunnerzz

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Then you get a flx cheap and replicate his mods.
Yeah I've already thought of that. Budget is plenty within the range. Problem is I'm looking for a family car, I can't replicate his mods and use it as a family car - it's a bit small and the suspension is rock hard. Haha! But I'll definitely consider this as a future project car.

No road meaning you run over greenery, chop down trees etc right? Environmentally destructive hehehe.. anyway I think everyone should make a conscious effort to plant a tree every year per each person who goes into the forest for whatever activity. That way it'll offset in the long run.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Yeah I've already thought of that. Budget is plenty within the range. Problem is I'm looking for a family car, I can't replicate his mods and use it as a family car - it's a bit small and the suspension is rock hard. Haha! But I'll definitely consider this as a future project car.

No road meaning you run over greenery, chop down trees etc right? Environmentally destructive hehehe.. anyway I think everyone should make a conscious effort to plant a tree every year per each person who goes into the forest for whatever activity. That way it'll offset in the long run.
Hihihi...
Its a yes and no on chopping trees.
There is primary forest and secondary forest. Primary is untouched nature, should be left untouched. i wont touch this type of trees/forest.
My playground is secondary forest which is a mess, u can barely walk. Previously someone had clear the area and make the road (most probably during the land survey) and left it so nature took over again. Dont worry we will clear the land plot and plant rubber tree so car lovers can enjoy their Michelin PS4s, BS RE003s, etc....hahaha.

On planting trees, the is another plot of land which is planted with few D24s ( already fruiting) and recently with 1 IOI and 1 Musang King ( 5 years to reap the reward). Its kinda compensation with added bonus. Too bad wild boar destroy 2 kelapa pandan.

Another plus of getting involved in 4x4 or pickup is u get the chance to assist during disaster. I have never got the chance to join but from the group feedback its sad to see the victim....very touching moment. During Kelantan major flood, 4x4 groups are the first to reach victims at remote areas. U gain more 'experience' with the car and it will become 'one' with u. Its more than just a car.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Rock hard yet no rattles ?
From my experience with Iriz and BLM, the latter have better fit and finish. My BLM havent rattle till today but the noise intrusion is intrusive to your ear. The Iriz which is newer and supposedly better built is the more solid and quiter car but it rattle. Now the dash rattle, center console near the center is rattling at random, something around the gear lever rattle at random, left door rattle at random, rear suspension got tuk2. Its still the better car overall but got more rattle.

Reactions: DNGFashion and Izso

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Rock hard yet no rattles ?
that's the beauty of it all - nope. There's only a creaking noise from the bucket seat which is caused by the washer he used - which I'll take out and replace later and maybe add on a rubber washer.

From my experience with Iriz and BLM, the latter have better fit and finish. My BLM havent rattle till today but the noise intrusion is intrusive to your ear. The Iriz which is newer and supposedly better built is the more solid and quiter car but it rattle. Now the dash rattle, center console near the center is rattling at random, something around the gear lever rattle at random, left door rattle at random, rear suspension got tuk2. Its still the better car overall but got more rattle.
Maybe the trick is have as much external noise intrusion as possible to cover all the rattling.. HAHAHA

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
that's the beauty of it all - nope. There's only a creaking noise from the bucket seat which is caused by the washer he used - which I'll take out and replace later and maybe add on a rubber washer.

Maybe the trick is have as much external noise intrusion as possible to cover all the rattling.. HAHAHA
For me I just listen to loud metal music so cannot hear rattles and creaking anymore!

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I guess its because of what I went through with the sampan. All the modifications done to customise it to MY LIKING, that journey, experience and what I've learned.

The cruise liner is a superior car in every single way. Like seriously. But I've not done anything to it except stick a spoiler on it myself. Is it special? Not really.

The way I look at it, the car that's special to us, is the one we have and the one we want to have, the poster of which is on the wall. I have a RX-7 FD3S on my wall. Would I want it? Not really LOL I am not ready to live with the rotary engine maintenance.

Since @Izso 's question is what makes a car special to you. I guess if you lost your virginity in the car, it'd make that car pretty special too.
Your cruise liner is what year?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi sifus i need some opinion,

whenever im driving through a corner(not those tight corner, maybe like 120 degree bengkok abit d road) at 100kmh, my front wheels will straighten back on its own whist im trying to steer left, meaning my wheels will straighten whilst steering is senget to d left.

im kinda concerned coz its so darn dangerous especially driving on highway when normal speed is 100kmh+ and d road is not 180 degree straight...

**FYI, i just had my power steering rack...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience